Russia-backed political messages reached over a hundred million during campaign

William Gayde

Staff

According to documents obtained by the New York Times, Russian agents were able to influence 126 million users on Facebook with their targeted campaign messages. In addition, they also published more than 131,000 tweets and posted more than 1,000 videos to YouTube. The documents were sent to Congress on Monday by Facebook, Google, and Twitter as evidence for the upcoming Congressional hearings that will take place later this week.

These numbers are far greater than what was previously believed and it appears that the shadowy Kremlin-backed Internet Research Agency was behind a large amount of this content. They posted an estimated 80,000 pieces of inflammatory content that was directed at 29 million people. Some of these posts were then shared to others increasing the reach to tens of millions more.

Although these are still very large numbers, Facebook claims that it only represents about 0.004% of the content on its website during the time frame. From 2015 to 2017, there were 11 trillion posts from Facebook pages.

In addition to the Internet Research Agency, Twitter also identified about 36,000 additional accounts that posted 1.4 million tweets during the three mounts before the election. These tweets were viewed by 288 million people which accounts for about 0.75% of all election related tweets according to Twitter's logs.

The Russian agents had much less success on YouTube. Despite posting more than 1000 videos, they only achieved a total of about 309,000 views from 2015-2016.

As the Congressional hearings loom, the three internet giants are in a difficult position with no easy answer. A majority of the content didn't violate any policies and could likely have remained on the platforms. Statements like "hundreds of millions of people were tricked into voting for Trump" are simply not true either.

Permalink to story.

I'm looking forward to seeing who will get picked up in the next round of incitements! If Manaford is one of the smaller fish I can't wait to see who's next!

The left: Russia is trying to disrupt our democracy (Trump)!

The right: Russia is trying to disrupt our democracy (Clinton)!

The media: Trump/Hillary was colluding with Russia and you must listen to us or you are a fool and/or sympathizer!

Putin: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Vladimir-Putin-Sunglasses.jpg

I've not bought into the Russian narrative from either side. Not insofar as Putin going through extraordinary efforts to "undermined" the United States with ads. However...

If they really are doing a massive psy op on the American public...

They are doing a bang up job of it, because every chance that comes around, the media reporting on this jump like giddy dogs to a bone every time even the vaguest whiff of a hint of something Russia-related alludes to the possibility of there being something that may have at least theoretically influenced somebody somewhere somewhat during the 2016 election.

Last edited by a moderator:

The US media (all sides): Trump/Hillary was colluding with Russia and you must pick sides!

There is only one side... know your enemy.

All governments of the world SPY on all electronic devices that connect to the net. All Governments spy, all governments meddle in affairs of other nations. This is not news.

The establishment hates trump because of them all being corrupt. PEDOPHILIA RINGS IN HOLLYWOOD, The corrupt Big Agra, and Big Pharma, Corrupt Clintons, Corrupt Bush's, COrrupt everything. All faucets of our society are corrupt and that is why they hate Trump... THat includes the Corporate-owned media B.S. companies.

SOROS and Rockefellers, etc and those above them (who ever they are) are the true puppet masters. We need to look at them more.... But putting people (the puppets) like Hillary, Oprah, Bill Gates, Soros etc in prison would uhhhhhh be a good start!

that is why they hate Trump... That includes the Corporate-owned media B.S. companies.
I got news for you man, Trump is just as corrupt as they are. Drain the swamp... give me a break, he's putting his own people in who are just as swampy. Just look at his cabinet, they are all rich-bitches that... oh yeah, are just as corrupt as everyone else is. So don't use that crap to say that Trump is for the people, rich people I'll give you that, but for regular people... nope, not even close. You and millions of other Americans fell for his lies hook, line, and sinker.

And this is coming from a once staunch Trump supporter. He is a toolbag, a fool, and he needs to be impeached before he damages this country even more so than he already has. We are the laughing stock of the world because of this fool!

Like WE've never meddled in elections outside the USA? Pretty much all countries try to sway elections.
Russia probably did attempt to sway the elections, but, the democrats were more on the side of corruption
(Hillary) than any of the others.

I got news for you man, Trump is just as corrupt as they are. Drain the swamp... give me a break, he's putting his own people in who are just as swampy. Just look at his cabinet, they are all rich-bitches that... oh yeah, are just as corrupt as everyone else is. So don't use that crap to say that Trump is for the people, rich people I'll give you that, but for regular people... nope, not even close. You and millions of other Americans fell for his lies hook, line, and sinker.

And this is coming from a once staunch Trump supporter. He is a toolbag, a fool, and he needs to be impeached before he damages this country even more so than he already has. We are the laughing stock of the world because of this fool!

>Claims former Trump supporter
>Thinks Trump supporters care what "the world" thinks.

Fake post.

I voted for the guy, I supported him even when all of my friends and fellow coworkers were telling me I was a fool for supporting him. I kept sitting there shaking my head saying that he was going to fix America and "Make America Great Again". My God, I was such a fool for thinking that. I fell for his lies and millions of others have as well.

You can say "fake post" all you want but it's not. I seriously was a Trump supporter all throughout his campaign. Now? You couldn't get me support this fool now considering just how much bull that he's been pulling. His tweets alone have shown me just how mentally unstable he really is, flying off the handle at just about every little slight against him. As a leader of a country he absolutely cannot be doing that, he seriously needs to learn how to brush things off his shoulders as if it doesn't matter. Him getting on Twitter with his Twitter rants shows me that he's got the mentality of a four year old who's not getting his/her way.

You better care what the rest of the world thinks of America! We need allies and if we keep alienating them like Trump has been lately we'll have no one to back us up on the world stage and then what?

Well! All Hell is fixing to break out. Lets wait and see what happens in the next 6 months. You trump supporters watch some thing different then Fox News. You Trump haters, watch something besides MSNBC. Open your minds and look for the truth. Stop your bitching if you claimed bone spurs and never served our great country. I severed. I was a C130 aircraft electrician in Okinawa. All you guys that like to play war games, sign up and fight in a real war. Sorry for my rant, but some of you people don't know how good you have it. This is a great country. We have our faults,;but if you hate the USA so bad, move to a different country. When they play the National Anthem, stand up and honor our flag and our great country. Some of you young punks, grow up. You never had it so good. I'm sick of all this hate. When will it stop?

I get my news from several outlets including even the BBC. All of the news outlets, even Fox News, are showing that things with the Trump presidency isn't good. It's time for America to wake up and admit that we made a mistake putting Trump in office. I'm not saying that Hillary would have been better, no... not at all. This election was truly the choice between turd sandwich #1 and turd sandwich #2, which one can you stomach more.

Good question:
What are your news sources?

For me: BBC, Voice of America, CS Monitor, Washington Post and YouTube which gives me access to: PBS Newshour, FOX, etc.

Best idea? Mine is , for a big story, look at many sources.

Anyone that doesn't want to admit it's the Dems is fooling themselves and lacks proper education

Pathetic! Influencing millions when they watch a video they agreed with before watching.

Summary:
People are dickheads.
People watching a video on being dickheads.
That video then becomes an influence on them becoming dickheads.​

Good question:
What are your news sources?

For me: BBC, Voice of America, CS Monitor, Washington Post and YouTube which gives me access to: PBS Newshour, FOX, etc.

Best idea? Mine is , for a big story, look at many sources.

All bad choices

This is the problem now-a-days. Somehow people believe the whole world worth of news agencies had a meeting and agreed to all hate trump and run fake news stories. So they ignore any and all news claiming it's fake and find one small person/company to believe in, which is the worst idea possible. Surely all the evidence has been falsified so I'll believe things that have no evidence. News flash: There is no conspiracy! Trump is terrible and there's plenty of well documented proof of that. Pull your fingers out of your ears and open your eyes.

When you guys were facing a choice between voting for a known war-monger and a maverick businessman who promised to shake things up in Washington it was a real dilemma but I certainly wouldn't be influenced by anything posted on Fartbook.

This is the problem now-a-days. Somehow people believe the whole world worth of news agencies had a meeting and agreed to all hate trump and run fake news stories. So they ignore any and all news claiming it's fake and find one small person/company to believe in, which is the worst idea possible. Surely all the evidence has been falsified so I'll believe things that have no evidence. News flash: There is no conspiracy! Trump is terrible and there's plenty of well documented proof of that. Pull your fingers out of your ears and open your eyes.
In some respects Trump maybe terrible but if you think putting American's first in America is bad then your opinion has been formed from bad education and bad information. I am fighting for the USA and just did a small bit right here

Hi There's nothing wrong with putting America first. The thing that is wrong is using Russia's (Putin) to make America first. As I sated before. "Lets wait and see what the next 6 months reveal" I know Washington is full of crocks, but let's hope the true wins in the end, and we all become one nation under God. We are so divided and hateful, and that's what scares this old man. I can guarantee you one thing. There are some people in Trump's cabinet that will do some serious prison time.

The media: Trump/Hillary was colluding with Russia and you must listen to us or you are a fool and/or sympathizer!

Putin: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Vladimir-Putin-Sunglasses.jpg

I've not bought into the Russian narrative from either side. Not insofar as Putin going through extraordinary efforts to "undermined" the United States with ads. However...

If they really are doing a massive psy op on the American public...

They are doing a bang up job of it, because every chance that comes around, the media reporting on this jump like giddy dogs to a bone every time even the vaguest whiff of a hint of something Russia-related alludes to the possibility of there being something that may have at least theoretically influenced somebody somewhere somewhat during the 2016 election.
Bang up job, for sure. The irony of it, as I see it (though I would not be surprised if you call it fake news) is that if this story is real, it would mean that there are many among those reached by these ads that could not tell fake news if it reached out of their monitors and slapped them in the face.
In some respects Trump maybe terrible but if you think putting American's first in America is bad then your opinion has been formed from bad education and bad information. I am fighting for the USA and just did a small bit right here
I would like to think that Trump is putting Americans first in America, however, with the vitriol that comes out of his soul, I do not see much of him putting anyone first except for himself. America has been great all along. It is the capitalistic monarchs who will never have enough that have done their best to disenfranchise everyone else. The good old days are gone; the best we can do is forge a better future.

That's right wiyosaya, Trump doesn't care about anyone but himself. He would throw his own family under the bus if it meant saving his own behind.

Trump cares about us? Yeah right, and I have some bottom land to sell you. Just don't ask me what it's at the bottom of.

Back