Russia blocks LinkedIn for violating local data storage laws

midian182

Staff member

Back in August 2014, Vladimir Putin approved a new law requiring Internet companies that store the details of Russian citizens do so on servers within the country. The firms also have to allow authorities access to the data if requested. For failing to adhere to these rules, Russia’s communications regulator has ordered public access to LinkedIn’s website be blocked.

Roskomnadzor issued a statement on its website that cited a Moscow court’s decision in August to block LinkedIn after the company was found guilty of violating the data storage laws. It also references a case from November where the ruling was upheld.

LinkedIn becomes the first US-based social network to be banned for breaking the storage law, setting a worrying precedent for other foreign firms who refuse to follow Russia’s rules.

LinkedIn, which has over 6 million registered users in the country, has confirmed the block. “LinkedIn’s vision is to create economic opportunity for the entire global workforce. We are starting to hear from members in Russia that they can no longer access LinkedIn," a spokesperson said.

"Roskomnadzor's action to block LinkedIn denies access to the millions of members we have in Russia and the companies that use LinkedIn to grow their businesses. We remain interested in a meeting with Roskomnadzor to discuss their data localization request.”

TechCrunch reports that LinkedIn tired to meet with Russian regulators last Friday in an attempt to hold off the ban, but the company's efforts appear to have been unsuccessful.

Many of the international sites available in Russia don’t store their data within the country; it’s not clear why LinkedIn was targeted, though it could be as a warning to others. Any ISPs failing to uphold the block may face large fines or even a block of their own.

Microsoft, which is in the process of buying LinkedIn, isn’t having the best of times in Russia at the moment. Moscow is replacing MS Exchange Server and Outlook on 6000 of the city’s computers, while Windows and Office may be the Redmond firm’s next products to be eliminated.

Permalink to story.

Who cares? So New-Soviet-Russia-Under-KBG-Agent-Putin resigns from a chance of being internationally recognized source of workforce and investment destination. Chance for other nations. They prefer to stick to being huge gas station, pushing under-the-counter guns, drugs, alcohol and Rocco Sifredi girls, their choice. Who cares?

Who cares? So New-Soviet-Russia-Under-KBG-Agent-Putin resigns from a chance of being internationally recognized source of workforce and investment destination. Chance for other nations. They prefer to stick to being huge gas station, pushing under-the-counter guns, drugs, alcohol and Rocco Sifredi girls, their choice. Who cares?

A little communism won't hurt as much as a pompous imbecile on the throne, congrats USA!

Sorry, but 1. as a Russian You're not objective, so Your voice doesn't count, 2. Trump has got nothing to do with it as Putin has been a KGB operative for decades, and this law has been mentioned long before his choice into president elect 3. Trump is allegedly Your Agent as Russian governemnt alledegely helped him get to power, hacking into US Democrats servers 4. Trump is elected into power for 4 years while Putin is elected for life, unless some new Dangerous Young from FSB decides to kill him and take his position, so Americans and rest of the World dependant on US economy are screwed for few years ahead, while You Russians are screwed for life as You're not able to create a free market, democratic society.

Can't you just have a mirrored server 'in country'
as far as government access, isn't that the same as what the NSA et al want in the USA?
edit: just the about the UK Snooper law aka The Investigatory Powers which demands tech firms store UK users’ internet data for up to twelve months, including a record of every site visited, and allow government agencies unfettered access to the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you just have a mirrored server 'in country'
as far as government access, isn't that the same as what the NSA et al want in the USA?
I'll bet there is more to that. Like FSB wanted a backdoor to the system, therefore access to the global network of all Linkedin users. Google had the same problem with China some time ago and it took them some time but they eventually gave access to Chinese citizens data, but they probably had to spare some time writing it anew. I believe. I hope my gmail account is not accesssible to some ***** spammer.

Hmmmmm ..... wonder what he's going to say about those apps that send data to China .... bet that chaff's his shorts a bit!

Sorry, but 1. as a Russian You're not objective, so Your voice doesn't count, 2. Trump has got nothing to do with it as Putin has been a KGB operative for decades, and this law has been mentioned long before his choice into president elect 3. Trump is allegedly Your Agent as Russian governemnt alledegely helped him get to power, hacking into US Democrats servers 4. Trump is elected into power for 4 years while Putin is elected for life, unless some new Dangerous Young from FSB decides to kill him and take his position, so Americans and rest of the World dependant on US economy are screwed for few years ahead, while You Russians are screwed for life as You're not able to create a free market, democratic society.

You really are biased. If you've been here long enough, you'd know that Vitaly is a bit critical about mother russia - but how can you say he can't have an opinion? What does that make you?
Remember, all great empires fall; it's cyclical.

The irony is that in China all companies bend over and go along with the law. I have the feeling that linkedin decided to be cheap bastards - no need to pay for local Russian systems.

"NSA wants to have access to citizens' data" -Nah who cares. I'm no terrorist, I have nothing to hide.
"Russia wants to have access to citizens' data" -OMG!!! That Putin KGB destroying the country. Putin KGB USSR vodka Putin.
And I see that all the time.

Back