Russia has begun producing its own AMD B450 motherboards

mongeese

Staff
Recap: Russia has started to develop its own essential electronics to bolster security and reduce its dependency on international trade. In addition to their existing custom processors, they’ve now begun producing B450 motherboards to take advantage of AMD’s stellar Ryzen CPUs.

Last week, Russia’s GS Group and Philax announced their partnership to produce "at least" 40,000 motherboards and 50,000 monitors. While the latter are still under development, the motherboards are almost ready to go; they’ve passed all the tests, even gotten certified for government use, and are now available to pre-order for select customers in Russia.

The motherboard is based on the AMD B450 chipset and appears to use the same design as the Micro-ATX Asrock B450M Pro4 (as spotted by Tom’s Hardware). It is distinct though; because its target demographic is government offices and businesses, it doesn’t have the same flashy looks or quite the same feature set. Despite appearing to have the same m.2 slots as the Pro4, the miniature drives aren’t listed as supported hardware, for example.

However, the board "fully meets the basic needs of an ordinary user," according to the press release. Like most AMD B450 boards, it supports Ryzen 2000, 3000, and 5000 series processors, up to four 3200 MHz memory sticks, it has two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, and so on. Possibly as a requirement of government certification, it has support for a TPM (trusted platform module) for additional security.

In the next 18 months, GS Group will produce a wider variety of desktop motherboards and monitors in partnership with Philax, while exploring potential partnerships with other companies to expand their electronics portfolio. Motherboards for the Russian Elbrus and Baikal processors are next on the horizon, alongside touchscreen monitors for schools and universities.

Permalink to story.

This is my take on Techspot, why dont you cover other countries local technologies, e.g. Yandex Maps Balloon view in Russia, it is quite nice feature. Also I am pretty sure there are vast local technologies around the world with nice feature and hope to be covered

to develop its own essential electronics to bolster security and reduce its dependency on international trade
Essential for Russia will be to plant home-grown spy chips into those boards, just like China.

But if they get those boards from China, it will be more like a Russian hack into Chinese spy chips to piggy-back on their surveillance...

putin3.png

Gee up!

Last edited:
I wish this article would explain where Russia gets B450 chipsets. China? Are they licensed from AMD? Are these mobos actually made in Russia. I don't see any mention of a factory or plant. 50,000 mobos is a drop in the bucket in a nation of 160 million. The sad part is that we can't even make these mobos in the US.

OK, I did a little more research. There are two GS Group corporations. One is Korean and the other is Russian. Although the Wikipedia article implies they are not related, I would not be surprised if they're the same. Philax may be the Russian partner. But any way you slice it, Russia is determined to 'Make Russia Great Again'. This is how you make your country great, you bring manufacturing, energy production, and other technical knowledge to your people. You promote nationalism, exclusivity and aristocracy. They will then try to live up to that standard.

So, the title is a little of a bait. They bought some existing hardware and assemble It with both some (assumed) extra security features and mostly some cost cutting. In the end , like with most of government sponsored developments, for a taxpayer It will come more costly than actually buying in bulk from OEM. But It will be "patriotic". It's Russsia... and China... and My home Poland, and maybe D.Trump USofA. Basically any country that fell into the abbyss of nationalistic populism and corruption.

This is actually kinda cool. I look forward to hearing more about it

This is my take on Techspot, why dont you cover other countries local technologies, e.g. Yandex Maps Balloon view in Russia, it is quite nice feature. Also I am pretty sure there are vast local technologies around the world with nice feature and hope to be covered
That's a really interesting point, I'd never thought about local technologies other countries might have. It would make for some very interesting content and I don't know of any other tech websites the cover that.

It's because corruption is naturally corrosive.
I am not Russian despite I live with them. Anyway, yes, corruption in the government is a reality here. But, the good thing is that people live very well here in Moscow. Very peaceful and civilized. No problem at all. However, in other cities of Russia life is not so good as in Moscow and St. Petersburg, you know. All in all, I am very happy to reside in this vast country. Women are the best!!!!! And new games cost generally 30 dollars (half the price average than in USA). It is good to be a gamer here!!!!

I am not Russian despite I live with them. Anyway, yes, corruption in the government is a reality here. But, the good thing is that people live very well here in Moscow. Very peaceful and civilized. No problem at all. However, in other cities of Russia life is not so good as in Moscow and St. Petersburg, you know. All in all, I am very happy to reside in this vast country. Women are the best!!!!! And new games cost generally 30 dollars (half the price average than in USA). It is good to be a gamer here!!!!
Well, you are talking to a Russian person (myself), so I know all too well what life is like there :) But I am divided on the account of prettiest women versus cheap console games, it's a tough pick indeed :)

Essential for Russia will be to plant home-grown spy chips into those boards, just like China.

But if they get those boards from China, it will be more like a Russian hack into Chinese spy chips to piggy-back on their surveillance...

putin3.png

Gee up!
These are going to government use, they just want to make sure there aren't ANY spy chips, whether Chinese or American.

I think that this will be a great thing for the Russian people. Just imagine how many jobs this will create. So what if it is an ASRock design? I don't understand how anyone cares who designed the motherboard when pretty much all of the motherboards we use were designed in Taiwan anyway. If this means that more people can get computers for less money, that's a great thing to me!

(I say "pretty much" because I don't remember if there's a motherboard manufacturer that isn't based in Taiwan, but there may be one or two that I've never heard of.)

So, the title is a little of a bait. They bought some existing hardware and assemble It with both some (assumed) extra security features and mostly some cost cutting. In the end , like with most of government sponsored developments, for a taxpayer It will come more costly than actually buying in bulk from OEM. But It will be "patriotic". It's Russsia... and China... and My home Poland, and maybe D.Trump USofA. Basically any country that fell into the abbyss of nationalistic populism and corruption.
I just think this will bring a lot of good jobs to a lot of people who need them.
Russians are very patriotic in general. I live with them all day long. Good people. One should always differentiate the people from the 'governments'. They are not the same thing, in fact, many times it is the opposite.
Yes, I've found the same thing. The Russian people themselves are a good people who have had a really rough go of it. I'm in a bit of an advantageous position because no matter what, Canadians and Russians can always bond over conversations about hockey. :D
In Soviet Russia, VLSI industry copies everything American...and then labels it as their own!
Meanwhile, on planet Earth, Soviet Russia ended thirty years ago, all motherboards are Taiwanese and Americans somehow think that Taiwanese motherboards are American!

If you want a GOOD Russian joke, I made one up about twenty years ago for my work partner at the time who was a Russian man from Kazakhstan:
57cvn6.jpg

He didn't get it right away but when I said "Siberian Tiger", he laughed himself into tears. I guess that makes it a good Russian joke (although it works much better as a meme). :laughing:

Last edited:
Russians are very patriotic in general. I live with them all day long. Good people. One should always differentiate the people from the 'governments'. They are not the same thing, in fact, many times it is the opposite.
Yet, no matter what people they chose to rule, they always end up being dictators ;)
There is something about Russia, something that makes it exactly it is today, was and will always be. Probably.

Back