Russian ATM uses voice analysis to detect when you're lying

Emil

Staff

Sberbank, Russia's biggest retail bank and whose majority owner is the Russian government, is testing an automated teller machine (ATM) with a built-in lie detector intended to prevent consumer credit fraud. Consumers with no previous relationship with the bank can talk to the machine to apply for a credit card, with no human intervention required on the bank's end.

The ATM can scan a passport, record fingerprints, as well as take a 3D photo for facial recognition. It even uses voice analysis software to help assess whether the person is truthfully answering questions that affect their financial status.

The voice analysis system was developed by the Speech Technology Center. Dmitri V. Dyrmovsky, director of the center's Moscow offices, told The New York Times that the new system was designed in part by sampling Russian law enforcement databases of recorded voices of people found to be lying during police interrogations. Victor M. Orlovsky, a senior vice president for technology at the bank, said the software detects nervousness or emotional distress, and combines this with other data, such as credit history, to reach a conclusion.

Sberbank intends to install the new machines in malls and bank branches around the country, but has not yet scheduled a rollout. Technology consultants say the machines, if they go into commercial use, would be the world's first ATMs with voice analysis.

Sberbank executives insist the new ATMS will adhere to Russian privacy laws. The bank plans to store customers' voice prints on chips contained in their credit cards, in order to comply with the part of privacy law that prohibits a company from keeping a database of customers' voice signatures. Orlovsky also said the bank plans to make consumers aware of the types of information, including biometrics, that the ATM would be collecting.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully future ATM upgrades won't include an x-ray camera, a syringe for blood samples, and urine testing.

"Do you want credit?"
"Yes, comrade ATM."
"Credit is the means by which the bourgeois oppress the working classes. You are an enemy of the people."
"No comrade ATM, I work for the good of the people and the party."
"What party citizen?"
"The party I am throwing for my friends, comrade ATM. I need money for alcohol and snacks."
"What kind of snacks?"
"I am not sure yet, comrade ATM. Perhaps some carrots and dip?"
"You're lying to me, I can tell."
"Ok, I lied, comrade ATM, its all going to booze."
"Never lie to me again citizen."
"I am sorry comrade ATM, punish me, but not the party."
"Very well citizen, here is your money. Have fun."
"Thank you comrade ATM."

gwailo247 said:
"Do you want credit?"
"Yes, comrade ATM."
"Credit is the means by which the bourgeois oppress the working classes. You are an enemy of the people."
"What party citizen?"
"The party I am throwing for my friends, comrade ATM. I need money for alcohol and snacks."
"What kind of snacks?"
"Thank you comrade ATM."

LOL pricelesss ^_^

gwailo247 said:
"Do you want credit?"
"Yes, comrade ATM."
"What party citizen?"
"What kind of snacks?"
"Thank you comrade ATM."

LOL!!! So true...

If I were making a large withdrawal, I would feel nervous regardless.
Is that a problem?

I think any American would feel nervous talking to a Russian cash machine.

There's probably gonna be a special set of questions regarding "espionage activity" the moment it sniffs an American Express.

The United States will never use these because no politician would ever be allowed to get his money out. :p

ATM security is a subject many individuals do not wish to have to consider. In Russia, however, banking giant Sberbank is trying out new ATM machine technology designed to make the game more secure. Sberbank is rolling out ATMs that use 3D face recognition and lie-detective speech examination, states the New York Times. <a title="Russian ATMs know if you tell a lie" href="http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2011/06/09/russia-atm-lie-detector/">Russian ATMs know if you tell a lie, personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog</a>. It is the first bank in the world to use a voice analysis system. The first lie-detecting ATM machine! According to experts on the voice analysis system, the software is able to search for several markers in the human voice simultaneously. Nervousness or emotional distress that frequently accompanies lying can be detected in vocal inflection. A wide range of other vocal qualities and pace of speech that indicate involuntary nervous responses are monitored, too.

It was terrific indeed. The Russian ATMs use the same technology for 3D face recognition and voice analysis in a process called biometrics ? uniquely recognizing humans based upon multiple intrinsic physical and behavioral traits.

Back