Russian officials investigate Netflix following complaint over LGBT content

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Russia has launched an investigation into Netflix after the public commissioner for protecting families accused the streaming service of violating a "gay propaganda" law. The commissioner says Netflix breached a 2013 Russian law that bans the distribution of "propaganda on non-traditional sexual relations" among under 18s by hosting LGBT-themed content with age ratings of 16 years and older.

Reuters reports that the Moscow department of the Interior Ministry is now considering commissioner Olga Baranets' complaint. If found guilty of breaking Russia's law, Netflix could be fined up to 1 million roubles ($13,400) or face a temporary suspension of its service.

Russian daily newspaper Vedomosti reports that a Netflix source says the company checked its content earlier this month and found no LGBT content in its catalogue that was rated 16+. Engadget writes the paper also reported that officials may ban streaming services showing content that includes "non-traditional sexual relationships and sexual deviations."

In 2017, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that the Russian gay propaganda law breached European treaty rules, violated the right to freedom of expression, and discriminated against LGBT people.

The move is the latest attempt from Russia to exert more control over the internet, especially when it comes to US entities. Authorities fined Google just under $82,000 earlier this year for failing to comply with demands to delete more than 26,000 instances of "prohibited" online content, and earlier this week demanded foreign companies set up local offices in the country by 2022 to comply with a law that was put into effect in July. It listed Apple, Google, Meta (Facebook), Telegram, TikTok, and Twitter among 13 firms that must create an official presence in Russia.

Permalink to story.

Russia and China are never going to allow America's LGBT agenda to influence their media. EVER.

China banned effeminate men from TV. They also banned same-sex relationships in gaming.

So now I ask myself: will my comment be deleted?

Have I violated TOS by stating facts?

I believe this falls under the "appear to do" section of lawmaking as opposed to "actually do"...

A fine of $13,000?? For a multi-billion dollar corporation? But now they can claim that they tried to do something about it...

Russia and China are never going to allow America's LGBT agenda to influence their media. EVER.

China banned effeminate men from TV. They also banned same-sex relationships in gaming.

"Agenda"

Wat?

America is backward in its own way, China and Russia are just homophobic about it.

:rolleyes: Can I have some of what you are poppin?

What invasion? They're already there. Friends, relatives, brothers, sisters, colleagues. It's quite remarkable that the Bear is so insecure about LGBT identity that it feels the need to repress them. It's both comical and tragic at the same time.

What would be nice would be if people could just be allowed to be themselves.
Not only the Bear, but China, too. It's something that has been around since the dawn of time, and these countries think that they can ban it by decree?? IMO, It's hilarious that they think they are going to change things with anti-anything laws. We might as well liken these laws to US drug laws which have done nothing except put thousands of people in jail. Worst case, those drug laws have hampered research and remedies by targeting things like Magic Mushrooms and the FDA is starting to wake up - https://news.yale.edu/2021/07/05/psychedelic-spurs-growth-neural-connections-lost-depression

It's kind of dispiriting to see how many homophobic people are on this site... I guess you still think that calling someone or something "gay" is still a valid insult?

We really shouldn't care about anyone's sexual preferences or identity... unless we are actively trying to sleep with them... Just like we shouldn't care about their religion, skin colour, etc...

One only need look at the West to see the folly of allowing this sort of propaganda to proliferate.
:facepalm: One only need mention that these things still exist in Russia and China to see the folly of trying to prevent it from happening.

It's kind of dispiriting to see how many homophobic people are on this site... I guess you still think that calling someone or something "gay" is still a valid insult?

We really shouldn't care about anyone's sexual preferences or identity... unless we are actively trying to sleep with them... Just like we shouldn't care about their religion, skin colour, etc...
+1 and a million if I could. The anti-woke (for anything) crowd is (you pick a word).

I have no beef with LGBTQ people in movies and shows, but Netflix like to ram them in it out of farking nowhere and they really don't have anything related to the plot. HBO's Euphoria did it way better than 13 reasons Why on Netflix. I had no clue that Jules was transgender till her and Rue were laying in bed in like the 3rd episode(I was like that's a ). That made me think they're like everyone else, and don't have to blurt their sexuality out every 5 minutes.

Your children will find their own way whatever you do.
Yep, they will do what the parents and the society teaches them.
Their way, given from God is to be like they were born, with a male or female gender.
The BS is added into their heads by this exact thing we are talking about, lgbt propaganda.
But if the parents are careful and they strive to give their kids a sane education, they won't "find their way". There are a million other ways to search in this life, gender is not one of them.

And just to be clear, cause everyone seems to be plain stupid in interpreting these kind of, let's say, hate replies. This isn't a hate reply. This is an OBVIOUS reply. You want to make from an anormality, normality? That cannot be made, sorry. Sure, there are people that develop inclinations during the life for homosexuality. That is a real phenomena, no one denies that. Besides that, no one has been punishing and marginalizing these people up until now, when all these lovely NGOs started "fighting" for their rights. They started fighting for the $, you muppets. They started making propaganda, in order to create more people to have inclinations towards homosexuality. You would say why? Why would anyone in their right mind would do that? Hehe, they would. It is again, for the $. A person who is unsure of its gender, needs to have some counseling sessions. Those cost money. A person who wants to say, change their gender, needs to pay some $ to have an operation, to have hormones therapy. A lot of money can be made, but people are plain stupid nowadays, they all think this is about love and peace and accepting each other :)))))))))))))) yeah, right. I urge to go and read some history to actually LEARN what politicians and people with money are capable of. Remember this, 99% of everything that is done today in the media, in most of the domains is because there is money to be made. No one gives a damn about you, about your health, about your gender and damn "rights" if it ain't money to be made. And from lgbt people there is a ton of money to be made. Hence all of these "efforts" to combat the "homo phobia" which is again, BS terms made up to impress people.
In the end, I think those "homophobic" people would actually help an lgbt person in need more than any NGO and activist fighting for "their rights" would. I know I would. But I cannot approve all this crap because it is just propaganda and nothing more. It doesn't anything to do with the actual lgbt people and their needs.
Anyways, no one probably will understand a damn thing from what I just wrote, cause everyone nowadays is brain washed, but I just wrote it, maybe someone has a "aha" moment because of it.

Last edited:
That is a real phenomena, no one denies that. Besides that, no one has been punishing and marginalizing these people up until now, when all these lovely NGOs started "fighting" for their rights.
And this, again, is why I'm so dispirited to read the posts on this site... you seem like a fairly intelligent person yet... you are clearly steeped in ignorance.

Read the bible - since you seem to believe in God... The punishment for being gay is death by stoning!

Gay people have been persecuted for thousands of years - and just because they were born different than most people.

I'm not going to argue whether it is "good" or "bad" to be gay. I suspect that many people who were born gay probably wish they weren't.... but... THEY DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE!

Is it truly right to persecute someone simply for what they are?

We need to educate people into understanding that someone who is LGBT has the same rights as anyone else - or at least - they SHOULD have those rights.

Yes, but I don't want that confusion in their minds.
I get your concerns, and I am sure you view it as protecting them. Sometimes, the fact that the fruit is forbidden makes it all the more tempting. Sometimes, though, there is nothing that can be done.

Yep, they will do what the parents and the society teaches them.
Their way, given from God is to be like they were born, with a male or female gender.
The BS is added into their heads by this exact thing we are talking about, lgbt propaganda.
But if the parents are careful and they strive to give their kids a sane education, they won't "find their way". There are a million other ways to search in this life, gender is not one of them.
The way I see it, all that Bible stuff is also propaganda that in many ways has been perhaps more damaging in the history of the world than many other forms of propaganda, with the exception of Nazi Germany's propaganda.

One thing for sure, IMO, is that choosing for others is in no way a choice for the ones being chosen for, and may lead to worse effects in the long run.

If you want control of others, by all means, attempt to do so; however, if you end up disappointed because others did not like your choice for them, you have no reason to be surprised.

Back