1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Russian state-sponsored hackers are faster than those from other nations

By midian182 · 7 replies
Feb 20, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike has released its latest Global Threat report, in which groups are ranked by their ‘breakout time.’ This refers to the time it takes for intruders to move through systems in a network after first gaining access. It’s during this period that hackers can deploy exploits and steal information.

CrowdStrike based its data on 30,000 intrusion attempts, ranking the breakout times of groups believed to be working for Russia (Bear), China (Panda), North Korea (Chollima), and Iran (Kitten), as well as cybercriminal gangs (Spider).

Russia came top of the rankings with a time of 18 minutes and 49 seconds, much faster than second-place North Korea, which took 2 hours and 20 minutes. Chinese hackers were third with a breakout time of just over four hours, followed by Iran’s 5 hours and 9 minutes. At the bottom of the group is the cybercriminals, who take just over 9 hours and 42 seconds.

“State-sponsored adversaries out of Russia (BEARS) ranked first — almost eight times faster, on average, than their nearest competitor. While we certainly expected them to come out on top, given how effective their tradecraft usually is in comparison with other threat actors, even we were surprised by the data and how fast they can move inside a network once they get a foothold,” said Dmitri Alperovitch, CrowdStrike co-founder and CTO.

The report also suggested that China has given up on a cybersecurity truce it made with the Obama administration back in 2015. The country targeted telecoms systems in Asia and the US last year and has been accused of stealing intellectual property from American companies. CrowdStrike believes we will see an uptick in these activities from Chinese-based hackers as the trade war with the US continues.

Image credit: BeeBright via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

2. Knot Schure

Knot Schure TS Addict Posts: 219   +95

I'm surprised by this actually, I've heard much of the Chinese hackers, even hearing it said - "they don't make a single mistake, nor a missed keystroke", whether it is the initial intrusion, or the actual exploitation of the target network / device.

I've even read they have specific teams for each part of the attack vector, yet it seems from this data, Russia has them beat hands-down.

I guess things change.

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,144   +3,565

Interesting that the USA is not part of this list .... I'd like to see that comparison .....

Capaill likes this.
  4. XtremeHammond

XtremeHammond TS Enthusiast Posts: 49   +36

So, Russian state-sponsored hackers are top of the top but they can't bring down Telegram. I think it's more hype than reality.
    Some sort of a PR campaign.

max0x7ba likes this.
  5. xxLCxx

xxLCxx Banned Posts: 226   +149

It should be remarked that this genre is to be classified as 'fantasy'.

max0x7ba likes this.
  6. Capaill

Capaill TS Evangelist Posts: 828   +438

I will look forward to this appearing as the next televised eSports event. In the Blue corner ... In the red corner ... and your target is ... the French nuclear power grid. And your time starts .... Now!

Athlonite likes this.
  7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,394   +296

Of course! I heard these Russian 'spetsnaz' hackers train in the way of the force... that is they become well-versed in CS: GO. then they climb up the hacker ladder. ;)

Impudicus likes this.
  8. Athlonite

Athlonite TS Booster Posts: 129   +32

Sometimes the faster they go though the more likely it is to be noticed quicker so sometimes slow and steady wins the data breach race

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...