Ryzen CPU + Vega Graphics on a Chip: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G & Ryzen 3 2200G Review

Very impressive AMD, VERY impressive, I was waiting for Power Consumption to go down the toilet but nope, they nailed this. If someone came to me wanting the cheapest, Overwatch / CS:GO playable gaming PC, I would point them in this direction.

"were almost twice *** fast as the A12-9800."

Thats pretty fast? LOL
I already picked up a 2200G from Amazon, now to get my wife to let me buy the rest of the system to tinker with...

Great article ,
if this is any indication of what will be coming from AMD in the coming months ,look out intel/NVidia, these look great for gaming at the low end ,say, for the Esports crowd ,I can already see what will be in a next generation console,great for the HTPC as well,
Amazing what an effect memory speeds ,can have these days,very important ,to find a balance between speed and timings. even the difference between single and dual channel,
good stuff, thanks for that.

If only they slapped 2GB or better yet 4GB of HBM onto it?

Cost. Slapping those features diminish the returns of an API. Might aswell go for a GPU.
Oh, really? Have You seen any GPU with HBM recently on the market? Miners would snatch it in a second. On the other hand they would not be interested in buying such APU, like they are not interested in buying Microsoft XONE X with AMD RX590 onboard, although its cheaper than RX580 itself. Too much hassle for them.

Must say it's even better than I'd imagined. It's a lot closer to the 1030 than I had thought. And it looks like even with single channel 2400 RAM it would be better than the A12-9800 in most titles (though not enough data points to really tell).

Good show, AMD.

My plan was to get a 2200G now, just to know I own one, then wait for, hopefully, B450 motherboards with HDMI 2.0 to appear. But it seems to me like there's a 2300G shaped hole between $99 and $169, and if AMD comes with a 4/4 slightly higher clocked chip with 10 CU's for $129 or $139, that might be tempting. So since I'm waiting for the MB anyway, might as well wait for that.

I see rx 550 level of performance am I wrong?

No, the RX 550 does better in overwatch and CSGO while doing worse in R6S. At times it appears to me that Vega was made to be a good all rounder in gaming and it improves performance in many titles that previously favored Nvidia (but not so much to outperform them).

Hmm I think the intel 7600k would still outshine this one, please make sure to test that ryzen 2400g in desktop productivity thoroughly please.

Hmm I think the intel 7600k would still outshine this one, please make sure to test that ryzen 2400g in desktop productivity thoroughly please.
Outshine at what? CPU power? yeah, ofc a 240$ CPU is better than two much cheaper CPUs. But without a discrete GPU you won't be doing much gaming with the 7600k.

Nice review as always, Steve. This is a big step forward for those who game on midrange laptops. I can see GTX 1050~ish performance at 1080p down the road as the generations move forward.

This is nothing too exciting for high end gamers but will definitely please millions of users. And the real beauty is, miners aren't going to be able to blow this market up!

No, the RX 550 does better in overwatch and CSGO while doing worse in R6S.

Not quite. If you compare the results with Hardware Unboxed's results for Ryzen 3 1300X + RX 550, the stock 2400G loses every comparison except the 1% results for SWB II @ 720p. In Rocket League the 2400G loses by a big margin, otherwise the results are surprisingly close (insignificant in some cases). Overclocking the 2400G will give it some wins compared to the stock RX550, but then again the RX 550 used in HU's benchmarks could likely also be overclocked a bit. In any case a very respectable result from an iGPU.

Not quite. If you compare the results with Hardware Unboxed's results for Ryzen 3 1300X + RX 550, the stock 2400G loses every comparison except the 1% results for SWB II @ 720p. In Rocket League the 2400G loses by a big margin, otherwise the results are surprisingly close (insignificant in some cases). Overclocking the 2400G will give it some wins compared to the stock RX550, but then again the RX 550 used in HU's benchmarks could likely also be overclocked a bit. In any case a very respectable result from an iGPU.

I don't really get the point of this comment. You say "not quite" and then go on to prove my point. Like you said, it loses in every comparison and sometimes by a big margin. Sounds about right.

Yes, it's a very nice iGPU but let's not give out participation awards.

"Impressive, most impressive!".

I may not be purchasing an Intel chip after all. As a casual gamer, it seems like it would be a foolish move at this point. With no future intentions of purchasing a discrete graphics card.

AMD is looking like less and less of an underdog all the time.

Outshine at what? CPU power? yeah, ofc a 240$ CPU is better than two much cheaper CPUs. But without a discrete GPU you won't be doing much gaming with the 7600k.

Yeah I know that fact, even with all the drastic improvements, amd will have a long road to catch up with intel.
Intel keeps improving "each" season during the year, this is why I mention the 7600k.
Slap it with a good performance graphics card like the ati rx 560 and you will have a real show stopper.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-am...0-graphics-card-black/5876608.p?skuId=5876608

Last edited:
Yeah I know that fact, even with all the drastic improvements, amd will have a long road to catch up with intel.
Intel keeps improving a season during the year, this is why I mention the 7600k.
Slap it with a good performance graphics card like the ati rx 560 and you will have a real show stopper.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-am...0-graphics-card-black/5876608.p?skuId=5876608

You are about the only person I know who says Intel keeps improving. I mean, they did keep the market stagnant for years with quad core CPUs while they gouged customers with increasing prices. They did better recently because they had to. Otherwise no one was going to buy their dual core i3s, or quad core quad thread i5s when AMD's cheapest CPUs had more.

Intel keeps improving a season during the year, this is why I mention the 7600k.

You are about the only person I know who says Intel keeps improving. I mean, they did keep the market stagnant for years with quad core CPUs while they gouged customers with increasing prices. They did better recently because they had to. Otherwise no one was going to buy their dual core i3s, or quad core quad thread i5s when AMD's cheapest CPUs had more.
Yet their quad cores including the 7600k beat the AMD in gaming especially when OC.
reviews/Intel/Core_i3_8350K

I don't really get the point of this comment.

You said the RX550 does worse in R6S, which is incorrect. At 720p it obtains significantly better average fps and marginally better 1% fps results. At 1080p it obtains significantly better 1% fps and marginally better average fps results.

Yet their quad cores including the 7600k beat the AMD in gaming especially when OC.
reviews/Intel/Core_i3_8350K

And that changes the fact that Intel stagnated the market how?? Yes, it was easy for Intel to beat AMD when they bribed and coerced OEMs into Intel CPUs only. Maybe instead of whipping Intel's rear, you should thank AMD for bringing competition back to the market. I'm tired of Intel apologists, Intel is scummy AF and the recent CEO stock sell-off is just one example in a long line.

You said the RX550 does worse in R6S, which is incorrect. At 720p it obtains significantly better average fps and marginally better 1% fps results. At 1080p it obtains significantly better 1% fps and marginally better average fps results.

Your original comment was much more broad than R6S performance and also claimed there was an RX550 in the testing as well. I've looked at the video and they used no such card. But how does your comment go from "the results are surprisingly close" overall to only covering R6S performance? It seems to me you've moved the goal posts.

Your original comment was much more broad than R6S performance and also claimed there was an RX550 in the testing as well. I've looked at the video and they used no such card.

I never said the results were in the video on which this article is based on, although I admit I could have pointed the correct title out right away. You want the video titled "GT 1030 vs. RX 550 / Ryzen 3 vs Core i3, Finding The Best Budget Gaming Combo", which was released prior to the Ryzen APU video and presents benchmarks done in preparation of the APU benchmarks. And true, the original comment was more broad but included the R6S performance by implication.

But how does your comment go from "the results are surprisingly close" overall to only covering R6S performance? It seems to me you've moved the goal posts.

The whole comment was never meant to cover only R6S performance. That was just the starting point. Your initial point of confusion was 'You say "not quite" and then go on to prove my point.' and it should now be pretty clear that the "not quite" referred to the R6S performance. Now you're confused about "the results are surprisingly close" which isn't in contradiction with anything that has been said by either of us, so it certainly seems like the goal posts are moving... ;)

Since this has become a bit of a back and forth, I think we both agree my first post was not as well structured or thought out as it could have been. So, here's what I was trying to say:

1. You were incorrect about the R6S results since the R3 1300X + RX550 performs better in all presented benchmarks apart from one specific metric.
2. Apart from Rocket League the results are surprisingly close (IMHO), so I don't disagree with you and meric on the statement that we are seeing RX 550 level performance. Essentially that is the case, especially if the iGPU of the 2400G is overclocked.

Back