S/PDIF cable into Graphics card to enable sound in HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I'm supposed to connect an S/PDIF cable between my soundcard and my graphics card to enable the sound to work on my HDMI cable (between comp and TV).

However, there is no such jack on my soundcard, which is an outdated Soundblaster Audigy Platinum.

For anyone who wants to help, the manual is here.

Can someone help me do something about this? I wish to keep this soundcard.... or at the last resort, buy a new soundcard which will solve this problem, but its gotta be cheap, and has something to connect to the front like my current soundcard, which takes .25" headphone jacks....

I'm not an expert in this area but does your graphics card have an HDMI output connector at the back? If so, you don't need your sound card. HDMI carries both HD video and HD sound. If your TV has an HDMI input, you just connect the HDMI cable from the graphics card.

It does, but to enable sound on the HDMI, I need to connect the sound card to the graphics card, which is my current problem.

I'm supposed to connect an S/PDIF cable between my soundcard and my graphics card to enable the sound to work on my HDMI cable (between comp and TV).

However, there is no such jack on my soundcard, which is an outdated Soundblaster Audigy Platinum.
As I understand, you are correct and without the jumper, the HDMI can't possibly deliver the audio -- where would it get the data?

The graphics card has HD audio built in. The sound from an HDMI capable graphics card comes from the graphics card and doesn't need input from an existing sound card or onboard sound. The driver for the HD sound component is part of the graphics card driver.

hmm.... are you suggesting that the instructions that came with my graphics card is incorrect? o_O

Well, I was confused. I guess what I said applies to ATI/AMD cards not Nvidia cards as you point out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back