Safely removing a USB drive without the stop command

Kirei Blossom

Hi,

When I use a public computer at the library, there is no option to Safely Remove the USB Flash Drive. How do I remove my flash drive in this condition without damaging anything? I've thought of simply deleting the Kingston icon that appears on the desktop, but I'm not sure if that would work, or if it'd cause further problems.

What's the best solution in this case?

I am surprised that they don't have the safely eject USB drives. Do they even work? They might be blocked by policy.
You are correct to be concerned as this can definitely damage your stick.

If you can get into computer management at the library (Right mouse on my computer and select manage), then expand Storage\Removable Storage until you find your Media USB Device and right mouse click on that and select "Eject". Long way around the Mulberry Bush i am afraid.

Perhaps someone else knows a cmd command.

ouch! you attach your USB to a public system ; great way to bring home STD (ie virus, malware & trojans)

I know, its really tedious, but I don't have a printer and have to go there to print stuff. Well, there's really nothing I can do, I'm afraid, as they have disabled right clicking, and they don't even show the start menu or any icons except word and adobe reader. Sigh.

look for a Kinko's Copy store - - many have systems available with printing.

What do you know about NTFS permissions and Take Ownership?
It is possible to create the perms that as such;
  • at home you can do anything to the USB
  • but everywhere else, it is READ-ONLY which would protect the device

How do you change permissions? Though I can think of a downside like I go to print something and see a typo which needs to be fixed, but I can't change it....

What kind of docs?
Google Docs might be helpful here. Create a free account, upload the docs and print from the library computer.
I believe you can disable write caching for USB drives which would eliminate the safely eject problem.
I find it astonishing that they even allow USB drives to be used.

I know, its really tedious, but I don't have a printer and have to go there to print stuff. Well, there's really nothing I can do, I'm afraid, as they have disabled right clicking, and they don't even show the start menu or any icons except word and adobe reader. Sigh.

Back