Salesforce CEO points finger at new, remote, and younger workers for company's falling...

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Once again, the argument that remote workers are less productive has been brought up by a CEO. Salesforce boss Marc Benioff made the claim during an all-hands meeting to discuss the company's mass layoffs, where he also pointed an accusing finger at new hires made during the pandemic and younger workers.

Insider writes that Benioff repeated claims he made last month about new and remote Salesforce staff falling short of expectations when it comes to productivity. "We don't have the same level of performance and productivity that we had in 2020 before the pandemic. We do not," Benioff said. "When we look at some percentage of the employees, especially some of the folks that are new employees [hired during the pandemic], are just not as productive."

Benioff said he addressed worker productivity after COO and head of sales Brian Milham told him 96% of the company's annual contract value—ACV measures yearly revenue from each individual customer—was being delivered by 50% of sales account executives.

"Half of our Salesforce is not really productive, and a lot of them are our new folks. So why is that?" Benioff said. "Are we not managing our remote employees well enough? Do we need new skills? Because that's never happened before in the history of the company."

From TSMC to Samsung, virtually every company, especially large tech firms, has been negatively impacted by the post-pandemic slowdown and the current economic crisis of high inflation and rising living costs, which have seen consumers spend less on non-essentials. Salesforce is still closing large-scale deals at a rapid rate, according to its CEO, "but half of our sales organization is really struggling. Like they don't know how [...] Must be a few things going on either psychologically and technically."

Benioff questioned whether part of the problem lay with remote workers, particularly younger ones. He questioned their ability to build relationships with customers and wondered aloud if they "are not having the kind of social experience and meeting folks and getting the kind of swivel-chair enablement we used to have."

Some employees impacted by Salesforce's layoffs say the company's performance review system creates unrealistic goals that set them up for failure. In regards to Benioff's comments, one said, "It's clear he's a CEO from another generation."

Much of the world was forced to switch to remote work following the start of the pandemic. And while many companies are trying to bring workers back to the office, the vast majority say they are happier and more productive at home.

Many managers and executives, especially Elon Musk, take a dim view of remote work, often citing lack of interaction with co-workers as a big problem, but a recent report suggests that remote employees increased their engagement with colleagues between 2020 and 2022.

It's not just bosses who believe avoiding the office equates to laziness; most people think their co-workers aren't being productive while working from home, too.

Permalink to story.

The reality is, people working from home are lacking social skills constantly hiding in front of a screen making it easier in making questionable work decisions especially when relates in keeping a professional and pleasant relationship with clients and co-workers alike.

It's indisputable that having a person to person interaction in a work environment helps the mind in keeping you more aware on any potential work challenges.

Last edited:
I mean I'm not a "business expert" but as Marc seems to be, he should realize that productivity is of course going to take a hit with new hires.

With new hires comes training, learning the processes, no new hires is going to come in and start being 100% productive.

The problem is wall street and their need for constant growth and increased profits.

I like how they always like to fool the general public when it comes to revenue because it's always year over year so no, you didn't take a loss, you just didn't make as much as you did last year.

I always explain it to people like , if I give you 2 millions dollars this year, bit only give you 1 million the next, did you lose a million? No

Speaking from my enterprise experience, seemingly working in or out of the office couldn't make a difference in their attitudes or ability to help (spoiler - it's often mediocre "Buy this thing" solutionising by people who make horrendous sales pitches and seemingly have no idea what they are talking about), and this was even before the c bastard swept across the world - no surprises from an ex-oracle ceo though that he has immediately reached for the "it's easy to blame workers and wfh" even though issues have been present for a while and clearly the company needs to sort out as to what they are actually doing

Well that’s weird, I work for a global finance co with 60k staff that work from wherever they like. I’ve WFH since 2017 with them.

Last year we were +6-7% organic growth, this year we’re at 108% of our annual target with Q4 still in play. Our share price is +24% over the last 12 months.

Is it possible that maybe Marc Benioff is just full of s*** and is looking to blame someone?

This shouldn't surprise anyone who has been in the work force for any length of time. And this guy is one of many who are saying the exact same thing.

Common sense should make it obvious that people are going to be less productive from home overall. Some will be more productive but the fact remains that a number of them will absolutely take advantage.

When we worked form home during covid a guy I worked with told me he tied his mouse to a oscillating fan so that his computer would not show him as "away". I'm sure he was one of many people who did similar things.

What I find most humorous is the younger generation crying over his comments though. So incredibly entitled...wake up the world isn't here to appease you.

EDIT: I'm in no way against working from home. In fact I am considering looking for something similar but at the same time I can't stand when people act as if it's owed to them. No one wants to have to go out of their way to make money anymore. It just screams lack of perspective of the real world.

Last edited:
This shouldn't surprise anyone who has been in the work force for any length of time. And this guy is one of many who are saying the exact same thing.

Common sense should make it obvious that people are going to be less productive from home overall. Some will be more productive but the fact remains that a number of them will absolutely take advantage.

When we worked form home during covid a guy I worked with told me he tied his mouse to a oscillating fan so that his computer would not show him as "away". I'm sure he was one of many people who did similar things.

What I find most humorous is the younger generation crying over his comments though. So incredibly entitled...wake up the world isn't here to appease you.

EDIT: I'm in no way against working from home. In fact I am considering looking for something similar but at the same time I can't stand when people act as if it's owed to them. No one wants to have to go out of their way to make money anymore. It just screams lack of perspective of the real world.
I was a sys admin for a smaller company when covid hit and wfh days started, it was eye opening how many employees just werent working or were doing the bare minimum, it was enough that our trouble tickets were so low they let myself and another admin go.

like you I'm not against working from home, honestly I'm for it because for people like myself who would rather be in office...the pay is higher because so many want to stay home. alot, probably most can work remote and get s**t done, but no one can sit with a straight face and tell me that applies to everyone.

The reality is, people working from home are lacking social skills constantly hiding in front of a screen making it easier in making questionable work decisions especially when relates in keeping a professional and pleasant relationship with clients and co-workers alike.

It's indisputable that having a person to person interaction in a work environment helps the mind in keeping you more aware on any potential work challenges.

Nope. My company has been doing remote for 4 years now and were year on year more productive, and more profitable since the merger of Bcom/AVGO and SYMC.

I get more work done here at my desk at home, easily and am happy as **** to work from home where I can walk 50 feet to my kitchen and make a healthy lunch out of my fridge, not drive anywhere and NOT GET SICK.

We have reduced sick days on the order of 40%, have less work disruptions..

WFH for the right people is amazing

Now... saleforce ... **** them .. they are scum and likely their employees are taking advantage of them because management as SF is **** **** **** money grabbing cost cutting nonsense

We are assisting the rising of global incompetence. Many reasons, lazy remote working employees, change of mentality of the new generation, penury of qualified employee. EDIT: you no more need to be competent to get the job, and they will keep the good because they are not sure if they can replace you.

Last edited:
In my industry (engineering) if everyone worked from home the newer people to the business would be left behind eventually. Without face to face interaction, conversation and problem solving you would eventually lack the experience that the in office people had. That is not an opinion it's a fact.

In my industry (engineering) if everyone worked from home the newer people to the business would be left behind eventually. Without face to face interaction, conversation and problem solving you would eventually lack the experience that the in office people had. That is not an opinion it's a fact.

The engineering team I work with are based in the US, UK, India, and Sri Lanka

None of us are lacking experience or problem solving capacity simply because of our geographic location

Chinese proverb: A thief thinks everyone else is also a thief.
Ancient proverb from I don't know where: Give someone enough rope, and they will hang themselves.

No, I did well from home during covid. I even enjoy my work and probably got just as much done there as I would have in the office. But again that is absolutely not the case for everyone and I have been in the business for long enough that I have all the experience I need.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

For me, I was more productive while our company was WFH. I was on the job earlier, worked full 8-hour days, and could leave earlier and get more sleep, too.

As far as social interaction, our company uses Slack which was just as good, IMO, as face-to-face, not to mention for software engineers like me, there's Stackexchange and other similar forums that provide answers my colleagues were/are unable to provide.

Personally, I think @PEnnn 's comment applies to this guy as well. He's probably got his *** on the line and needs an excuse to blame everyone else for his failures.

The engineering team I work with are based in the US, UK, India, and Sri Lanka

None of us are lacking experience or problem solving capacity simply because of our geographic location
I would say it depends to some extent on the industry. If you're working in the field of petrochemical / oil & gas plant or refineries and you never worked in the office then yes you are lacking real world experience.

Ok boomer. Anecdotes and generalisation of young people don't cut it.

Marc needs to figure out why modern ways of working are working for plenty of other organizations but not for his. Because one way or another he's going to find out that if him and his management team can't manage a remote workforce, they won't be capable of managing them on site either.

Simply an overemployed woke company in my view. Investors are not going to like to hear the CEO saying half the employees are not really productive. He's questioning his employees instead of management. Start laying of the unproductive employees! What's the hold up? I would guess he's probably hinting at larger cuts to the company though. My whole point is the CEO should not be asking these questions, he should be addressing the issue with management action. The company seems listless. I used salesforce a decade ago but came up with inhouse solutions for better efficiency.

Actually if you're calling me the thief here then your reply makes no sense. .

I said "Some will be more productive but the fact remains that a number of them will absolutely take advantage".
So I never said "everyone" and I even gave an example of someone I knew that did take advantage. You would have to be a complete ***** to believe that no one will take advantage of the freedom of working from home. There is no logic or common sense in that way of thinking. Working from home is good for some but we don't live in a utopia where everyone can be trusted 100% and if you believe that way you're gonna have a rough go it.

The same goes with manufacturing engineering, we need to physically put our hands on the product when something doesn't work out. You can't do that from home.

It's always best to be on top. You can do whatever you want and bully everyone beneath you, and there's barely anything they can ever do about it, because they're always too dumb to unionize these days.

Back