Samsung abuses DMCA to take down GTA V exploding Note 7 mod videos

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung is not happy about a Grand Theft Auto V mod that turns the literally explosive Galaxy Note 7 into an in-game bomb. The company is trying to erase videos of the mod from YouTube, abusing the DMCA in the process.

The DMCA, or Digital Millennium Copyright Act, is a law that specifically relates to digital copyright infringement. Companies use the DMCA to issue takedown notices to websites like YouTube when a user has uploaded copyrighted content like films or music, however the Galaxy Note 7 mod for GTA V doesn't really infringe on the DMCA.

The mod videos are also quite clearly a satirical parody of the whole exploding Galaxy Note 7 saga, which is generally protected under various laws.

Samsung has only taken down a small selection of GTA V mod videos at this stage, so it's not clear if someone at Samsung has manually requested takedowns for some videos, or whether the process was automatic. In any case, it's still easy to find videos demonstrating the mod's functionality through a simple search.

The GTA V mod featuring the Galaxy Note 7 is surprisingly simple: it replaces the sticky bomb with a 3D model of the Note 7, so in game characters react to the Note 7 in the same way as they would for a regular bomb. Anyone interested in some laughs can download the mod from GTA5-Mods, thanks to modder HitmanNiko.

Permalink to story.

Just shows you - one rule for the rich and corporates and another for everyone else... can't understand why some ****head moderator working for youtube actually complied with their request. Probably some loser being paid minimum wage at home in india somewhere who doesn't understand much about copyright laws...

I like how samsung is admitting their mistakes with the note 7 but when it comes to grand theft auto.....they just can't handle it lol
I think if the original mod creators parodied the name on the phone to Sammy or Sungsam instead of just using Samsung, they might have gotten away with it. I can understand how Samsung would have issues having their brand in a video game.

It's funny because the phone explodes... get it?

Well in the end is part of their reputation for a phone and a video, you do know there are people that can take anything wrong however you say it, this is PR mitigation and they have departments working to keep things nice and smooth, being this bad or not if those videos are not taken off someone will loose their job who has nothing to do with anything that really matters so... don't be so harsh on the small dude =P

SAMSUNG LOL - you can't stop the truth.
Oh well... I would like to disagree with you, but...

THANK YOU

I downloaded this video. Samsung can't take it and I'm just happy to do my part to help spread the truth.
Oh boy now you are "spreading" the truth like some sort of rebel anonymous.

I'm not sure what's funnier...

the mod video or the "Samsung removed this video" notification
I do know what is even funnier, people who make 3 posts like this was some sort of messenger instead of a forum.

How happy must you be to have your iphone instead of android crap that blows up lol.

Samsung has no sense of humor.... Zzzzzz

Honestly I feel since Samsung handled it with good intentions I don't think this joke mod is a tarnish on their record. It is just for fun... somehow I bet people will still buy Samsung products.

What do you guys think?

I like how samsung is admitting their mistakes with the note 7 but when it comes to grand theft auto.....they just can't handle it lol
I think if the original mod creators parodied the name on the phone to Sammy or Sungsam instead of just using Samsung, they might have gotten away with it. I can understand how Samsung would have issues having their brand in a video game.

Showing a brand name is not a ground for takedown. Samsung dont own the video, nor the music and game showed.It is funny how can they ask for takedown and the ***** youtube admin approved it without knowing the guidelines.

"The company is trying to erase videos of the mod from YouTube, abusing the DMCA in the process."

They should really just go along with it and laugh it off.

they would have gotten away with it but unfortunately they used samsung lol.......nevertheless the mod won't disappear :p. I'd like to see samsung try to battle rockstar in court though.....I doubt they'd win

they would have gotten away with it but unfortunately they used samsung lol.......nevertheless the mod won't disappear :p. I'd like to see samsung try to battle rockstar in court though.....I doubt they'd win
lol me as well. Perhaps taking out their frustration or just an attention diverting tactic, who knows?

Showing a brand name is not a ground for takedown. Samsung dont own the video, nor the music and game showed.It is funny how can they ask for takedown and the ***** youtube admin approved it without knowing the guidelines.
Yeah because it is SAMSUNG and not some small company. They have their worth and to some extent say in the market. I think so.

Back