Samsung announces Galaxy Tab 2 with Android 4.0 ICS

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Call us confused. Unless we're missing something, Samsung has installed Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on a chubbier, slower version of the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and rebranded it the Galaxy Tab 2. I hate to open a post with such an accusatory tone, but I've read (and reread) today's press release and that's precisely what I see comparing the specifications between each "generation."

The Galaxy Tab 2 shaves some bulk off the original 2010 design, measuring 10.5mm thick and weighing 344g (down from 11.98mm and 380g), but it's a tad thicker than September's Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (9.96mm). Assuming it uses the same chip architecture, the Galaxy Tab 2 also downgrades the Tab 7.0 Plus' 1.2GHz processor to 1.0GHz (which is in line with the original Galaxy Tab 7.0).

Other innards are virtually identical to the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. This includes a 7-inch WSVGA (1024x600) PLS TFT touchscreen, a 3-megapixel rear camera and VGA front camera (downgraded from the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus' 2-megapixel front camera), 1GB of RAM, and 8GB to 32GB of storage (another 32GB via microSD). Select models have 3G support alongside Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 3.0.

Along with Google's latest snack-themed OS, the Galaxy Tab 2 will feature Samsung's new AllShare Play service, which lets you stream multimedia content between compatible devices. Neither piece of software is enough to justify a new model and the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus is expected to get ICS sometime this spring anyway -- presumably around the time the Galaxy Tab 2 hits shelves.

galaxy tab amazon kindle fire

The only way we can make sense of this: the Galaxy Tab 2 will be priced low enough to compete with the Kindle Fire (despite lacking Amazon's library). Unfortunately, the company hasn't shared official international pricing yet, but PCWorld reports that Samsung Sweden claims the Wi-Fi model will cost €270 (roughly $350). SammyHub reports even higher figures at ~$450 with a $100 premium for 3G. Hopefully Samsung clarifies its plans for the Galaxy Tab 2 at Mobile World Congress in two weeks.

Permalink to story.

Talk about perfect timing. I'm in the market for a 7 incher to take to classes and this one (or the Tab 7.0 plus) seems like the one to get.

Why do 3G models cost so much more? The modem cost about 15 pence? I mean, most £30+ mobile phones now include 3G? So why does the iPad and all the other tablets charge like £50-£100 for its inclusion?

Guest said:
Talk about perfect timing. I'm in the market for a 7 incher to take to classes and this one (or the Tab 7.0 plus) seems like the one to get.

Get the tab 7.7. 1280x800 super amoled plus? It's gotta be such a beautiful screen.

I bought one last year, downloaded 2 apps, and spent the next week ,constantly rebooting it. took it back, got my money back and went and got an iPad 2. not a problem, yet

Putting money in the bank for my WIndows 8 tablet. Will definately buy one on release.

Makes no sense at all. The better buy is the Tab 7 Plus, and an upgrade to ICS come April time.

Samsung must know something we don't, because it's almost a step backwards.

It seems that Samsung is in a hurry to release an ICS tablet that it is almost just a software upgrade. Can Sammy just release an upgrade? oh wai-

For all we know, it's got something to do with the lawsuit with Apple. Apple is suing over features found in ICS, and maybe a tablet helps Samsung's case instead of just having the Galaxy Nexus.

I have no idea, really, but maybe the pricing will explain it.

Milwaukeemike said:
For all we know, it's got something to do with the lawsuit with Apple. Apple is suing over features found in ICS, and maybe a tablet helps Samsung's case instead of just having the Galaxy Nexus.

I have no idea, really, but maybe the pricing will explain it.

And they said patents will encourage innovations. Now big companies are patenting "button design" on devices? Just imagine all that could have been lost if back then people patented everything they came up with - tire, wheel, glasses, keyboard, shoes, needle, knife, pencils, etc.

What is the good in innovation if ideas cannot be shared?

You also have to factor in the sim card slot, etc... But even then it wouldn't cost very much... I forgot to mention you have to factor in profits, lots and lots of profits...

Back