Samsung announces industry's first 8GB LPDDR4 memory package

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung has introduced the industry’s first 8GB (gigabyte) LPDDR4 (low power, double data rate) DRAM package for mobile devices.

Designed with high-resolution, large-screen devices in mind, the package consists of four of Samsung’s newest 16Gb (gigabit) LPDDR4 memory chips built using 10nm-class process technology. It’s worth noting that this is not 10nm straight up as Samsung says its 10nm-class is a process node somewhere between 10nm and 20nm (similarly, 20nm-class is somewhere between 20nm and 30nm).

Samsung says the new 8GB LPDDR4 operates at up to 4,266 Mbps (megabits per second), twice as fast as DDR4 DRAM in PCs that typically runs at 2,133 Mbps. Assuming a 64-bit (x64) wide memory bus, Samsung says this can be viewed as transmitting over 34GBs of data per second.

The package, which measures 15mm x 15mm x 1.0mm, also allows for more efficient power consumption. Thanks to the new 10nm-class process technology and Samsung’s proprietary low-power circuit design, the chip offers twice the capacity of Samsung’s 20nm-class 4GB DRAM package while consuming roughly the same amount of power.

Reducing its footprint is no doubt attractive to manufacturing partners as it’ll allow them to further slim down mobile devices and / or make more room for larger batteries.

Samsung didn’t say when products with the new package would begin shipping. If Samsung has ambitions of being the first device maker to do so, it’s likely that we could see the new package show up in the Galaxy S8 in the first quarter of 2017.

Permalink to story.

Somehow, I see these chips in iPhones first. Strategically, Samsung would be better off served if they implemented their innovative technology in their devices first, and before it goes to company like Apple; which claims they "invented/patented" things first. IMO. Whatever happened to IBM in this "space"?

Somehow, I see these chips in iPhones first. Strategically, Samsung would be better off served if they implemented their innovative technology in their devices first, and before it goes to company like Apple; which claims they "invented/patented" things first. IMO. Whatever happened to IBM in this "space"?
Apple has always been slow to up the RAM in their phones so I think it will end up in Samsung phones first. Even the iPhone 7 only has 2 GB of RAM and the iPhone 7 Plus has 3 GB.

Apple has always been slow to up the RAM in their phones so I think it will end up in Samsung phones first. Even the iPhone 7 only has 2 GB of RAM and the iPhone 7 Plus has 3 GB.

It was a little bit of a snide remark towards Apple or against Samsung, and it depends how you want to look at it. Marketing from Apple vs. $ales for Samsung. Apple has a history of introducing innovation first (or near it), and they get a lot of I-phans for that. It goes all the way back to IBM inventing SCSI, but it shows up on Apple PCs first, Lighting port, etc.

I see the company Samsung as being like intell in terms of the mobile phone industry. They are so far ahead that apple would probably never catch up

I did not bought the Note 7 because of the low for me 4GB RAM, but if they release new version with 8 now that they must since they have nothing left in the segment I will jump right on.

Back