Samsung blames revenue fall on slow Galaxy S9 sales

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Samsung is the latest company to see slower profit growth in its quarterly financial results, bringing an end to its streak of six record quarters in a row. While operating profit did rise 5.7 percent year-over-year to 14.9 trillion won, or around $13.3 billion, sales revenue dropped 4 percent to $52.3 billion.

The results were within Samsung’s earlier estimates, and it blames “softer sales of smartphones and display panels” for its fall in revenue. The company’s flagship Galaxy S9 handsets have not sold in the quantities Samsung expected. Back in May, Apple’s iPhone 8 surpassed the Galaxy S9 Plus as the world’s best-selling smartphone.

With higher prices and incremental upgrades, it appears that fewer consumers are rushing out to buy the latest flagships every year, making for a sluggish smartphone market.

Additionally, Samsung said seasonality, increased marketing expenses, and competition from cheaper handsets have had an effect on its bottom line. Xiaomi and Huawei, especially, are giving Samsung a headache in the world’s top smartphone markets: China and India.

The display business also suffered, with sales of OLED screens to Apple turning out to be weaker than expected, though Samsung does believe this segment will pick up later in the year following the reported arrival of two new OLED iPhones.

As always, Samsung’s semiconductor sector performed well as operating profit rose 45 percent YoY to 11.6 trillion won. NAND prices might be down, but demand from the cloud computing and cryptocurrency industries kept DRAM prices up.

Permalink to story.

Their last two flagships have just been more expensive refinements of the S8, and smartphone sales in general have been slowing, so its hardly surprising.

Their last two flagships have just been more expensive refinements of the S8, and smartphone sales in general have been slowing, so its hardly surprising.

Yea, it's not seeming like much of an upgrade anymore honestly.

I'm not sure what it means when a company points their finger at themselves and say that's the reason why they arent selling as many. Doesnt make much sense to me... idk, maybe if they wanted to point a finger at slow sales because "customers arent finding the upgrade worthwhile" or that "X company has beat them to the market on X aspect..." idk I probably don't really understand marketing bs

Last edited:
Seeing as how Samsung's UI is garbage and obtrusive it is not surprising. I ditched them after the S4 especially when I had 2 of them with faulty components in less than a year and my previous Samsung Charges (had 3 of them) had faulty hardware as well. Moved to Motorola and haven't looked back. Less than 500 bucks and the phones work great. Samsung relies on gimmicks too much and copycat queues. Their TVs have taken a hit quality wise too.

After using Samsung's flagships more than once including S8+ I decided to ditch Samsung phones for good. UI is so sluggish even on S8+. Now; me and my family are using Huawei & Xiaomi mid & mid-high sets. We finally discovered what we were missing. Smooth ultra fast UI with great software customization. Could not be happier. ((Huawei & Xiaomi)) produce great devices with cheaper prices. Why would I pay more for Samsung & other manufacturers?!

Back