Samsung clinches $240 million order for iPad displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Samsung has scored a contract for a large order of Apple iPad displays, according to an unnamed industry source. The deal, reportedly worth $240 million, calls for Samsung to produce some three million LCD panels for Apple's new tablet, a "high-ranking industry representative" told The Korea Times.

The source also said that the most expensive component in the iPad is its 9.7-inch display and touchscreen interface, which costs $80 on all models. It was noted that the iPad screen is two times larger than the iPhone 3GS', but five times more expensive. The source wouldn't elaborate further, but iSuppli released an estimated bill of materials if you're interested.

Samsung may have clinched orders for future Apple hardware as well. The companies are "in deep talks" over Cupertino's upcoming 4G iPhones and iPads. "As far as I know, Apple will use [our] LCD panels for its next iPhone models, said an anonymous Samsung executive. It's worth mentioning that Samsung is developing its own tablet, and recently criticized the iPad.

In somewhat related news, CBS is working on HTML5 TV shows for the iPad.

Permalink to story.

I am pretty sure there is something really wrong with this report:

If the deal just went through, In less then a week time Apple will put on sale its Wi-Fi iPad in the US...three weeks later it's 3G iPad in the US.... a month later the iPads will be available for a lot more countries....
With sales expectation of 10 millions iPad for 2010!!! Either this deal was made back in January or February or Apple has other retailers or it won't be able to meet the demands!!!

You don't make 1 or 3 millions 9,7 inch screens in a week...Apple is going to put over 1 million iPad on the market in 9 days including assembling, packaging, delivery to each Apple store and pre-order customers....

I know but only two providers can built such an amount of those screens (In Plane Switching (IPS)) LG (Hitachi) and Samsung...

LG already has a closed signed contract with Apple until 2014 for LCD and OLED screens not IPS

LG, Sharp and Sanyo are already on contract for the iPhone, iPod Touch iPod Nano, iMac and MacBook screen...

It doesn't leave much possibilities!!

From the sourced Korea Times article:

According to executives from Samsung Electronics and LG Display, the iPad touch-screen is mainly made by LG Display and Chimei Innolux Corp., which was created from the merger of Taiwan-based LCD makers Chi Mei Optoelectronics, Innolux Display and TPO displays.

The LCD orders came a few months after Samsung's biggest cross-town rival, LG Display, struck an $800 million deal with the U.S. company to supply 10 million LCD panels for the iPads.

It's worth mentioning that Samsung is developing its own tablet, and recently criticized the iPad.
That part right there made me laugh. I know it doesn't matter to Samsung if they like the iPad or not, as long as they get paid. But made me laugh still. :D

Sorry? iPad display is more than 2 time iPhone display... its near 4x time so... 5x price isn't so bad considering its a new obj and not a 3rd generation model...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back