Samsung could be planning to launch an 8TB QVO SSD for $900

Polycount

Staff
In context: The gaming industry is more exciting now than it has been in years, with next-gen consoles and major releases like Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on the horizon. However, as games become more expansive, graphically detailed, and immersive, their installation sizes go up, which can be a problem for storage-limited gamers.

If you've purchased a high-speed, 500GB (or even 1TB) SSD, it won't take much to fill it up these days. Red Dead Redemption 2 comes in at well over 100GB, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ate up a whopping 185GB as of May.

These massive installation sizes often force customers to use much slower hard drives to store their games, due to the lack of high-capacity consumer SSDs on the market. However, according to now-removed Amazon listings spotted by Tom's Hardware, Samsung might have a solution to that dilemma in the works.

The listings revealed two variants of the mysterious new SATA-based Samsung 870 QVO SSD. There was an 8TB model and a 1TB model, with the SKU numbers MZ-77Q8T0B/AM and MZ-77Q1T0B/AM, respectively.

Unfortunately, as nice as it would be to have an 8TB SSD (even if it's likely to run on Samsung's slower QLC technology), the cost might prove to be prohibitive for the average consumer. The high-capacity device was reportedly listed at $900, whereas the 1TB model came in at about $130.

That's a lot of money to shell out for a storage drive, but if you have the cash to burn, the investment might just be worthwhile in the long run. Assuming SSD prices and storage capacities don't dramatically improve in the near future, you'd be future-proofing your system against rapidly-escalating game installation sizes for quite some time.

The leaked store listings claim the 8TB 870 QVO is set for launch on August 24, with the 1TB model slated for an earlier launch on June 30.

Image credit: Abolukbas, Tom's Hardware

Permalink to story.

I saw this earlier. I was going to buy a 4TB Samsung, but now that I see this: I'd rather have this.

Now I won't have to breakup my files and games across multiple 2TB Crucial MX500 drives.

I'll still keep a clone of my OS and backup of my most important files on a regular HDD and NAS.

When I log into games nowadays, I'm forced to download 50GB - 100GB downloads almost once every 2 weeks.

Games like DCS, Microsoft Flight Simulator and games with huge texture packs are getting huger.

To those people who quickly scoff at the drive being QVO:

It's only once in a blue moon that I ever had to transfer very large folders (500GB or more) on my 2TB QVO and when I have done this, I always get up and leave and do something productive. The transfer time from solid state to another solid state drive is usually fast enough not to be an issue. It's only when you go from HDD to SSD or USB 3.0 to/from SSD that the wait time gets annoying.

As for the price: let's not forget that when Samsung's 4TB came to market a few years back,the price was $1500.

Considering this is twice the capacity for $899, I'd say that's not terrible and that there is a market that wants it (me). They will sell, although not in huge numbers. I seriously doubt most people need much more than 4TB, but 8 would be perfect for Desktop replacement laptops and people who travel internationally on business like I have to.

I saw this earlier. I was going to buy a 4TB Samsung, but now that I see this: I'd rather have this.

Now I won't have to breakup my files and games across multiple 2TB Crucial MX500 drives.

I'll still keep a clone of my OS and backup of my most important files on a regular HDD and NAS.

When I log into games nowadays, I'm forced to download 50GB - 100GB downloads almost once every 2 weeks.

Games like DCS, Microsoft Flight Simulator and games with huge texture packs are getting huger.

StableBit drive pool is a good way to get around this issue.

Excellent! Been wanting to see something like this for some time from Samsung. Now if they can fast track pcie 4.0 M.2's then all will be well in the world.

Well, if it’s $130 for 1tb and $900 for 8tb.... actually cheaper to get the 8tb drive!

Would be a tempting game drive to go along with faster M.2 drives...

StableBit drive pool is a good way to get around this issue.

Unfortunately not. I thought so too. Steam for example doesn't work properly with pooled drive(s). You'll get some ancient files system error because volume is under CoveFS (not NTFS) or maybe they fixed it which I doubt.

Back