Samsung expecting record Galaxy S6 shipments

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung's mobile chief, JK Shin, expects their latest flagship Android smartphone, the Galaxy S6, to break shipment records and become the company's best selling Galaxy device.

Previously Samsung expected to ship around 40 million Galaxy S6s, but following a strong launch period they're upping their estimation to over 50 million shipments. This would dethrone the Galaxy S4 from its position as Samsung's best selling smartphone to date.

The company also admitted that it will struggle to meet demand for the Galaxy S6 Edge, the curved-screen variant of Samsung's latest flagship. This is due to the complex construction of the curved display, which is restricting production of the device. Samsung is, however, "working hard to increase the yield rate" of the display, which will help increase supply.

So far, the Galaxy S6 has been one of Samsung's best received handsets, with the device being praised for its improved design, excellent display and camera, and class-leading performance. The S6 Edge, with its AMOLED display curving to the left and right, has also been well received.

The Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge will launch globally on April 10, with the Edge costing $200-300 more than the S6 depending on the market and retailer.

Permalink to story.

It's like waves of people, upgrading at the same time! All those S4 owners from 2013 (and *gasp* older models) finally ready to upgrade, and here's the S6 - just in time? I don't think it's coincidence. I think it's just how this market operates on these 2 year cycles. But the new S6 does look good. I'm sure they'll be very happy with the trade up.

This will be my second year living with my LG G2, I've found no reason whatsoever to trade it in for a new model.

This news is hardly surprising, I'm led to believe it's a very nice device from what I've read, seen and heard but I shan't be getting one, I'm more of a midrange device type of person, besides I just recently bought a new device and I couldn't be happier with it.

This will be my second year living with my LG G2, I've found no reason whatsoever to trade it in for a new model.
That sounds sensible to me but I've come to realize that people in general don't look for reasons anymore nowadays, they just act on whims.
Maybe it's always been like that, either that or I'm just getting old.

It's like waves of people, upgrading at the same time! All those S4 owners from 2013 (and *gasp* older models) finally ready to upgrade, and here's the S6 - just in time? I don't think it's coincidence. I think it's just how this market operates on these 2 year cycles. But the new S6 does look good. I'm sure they'll be very happy with the trade up.

I have the S4 i9505 running Google Play Edition Kitkat rom and I don't see any reason to upgrade to the S6,maybe when the S7 comes out and the contract prices have almost halved,I might look at one.

Yup, two years is both about when phone improvements are noticeable and when internal batteries start to go. My HTC One M7 doesn't hold a charge nearly as well as it did when it was new.

I saw the S6 and Edge yesterday at a Verizon store and they're nice looking phones. I was surprised too, I could actually tell the difference of the higher res screen. Camera worked great too.
of course it was still a Samsung, so it's got the cartoony Touchwiz interface that looks like it was designed for tweens. As much as I'd like one of these phones, I'll have to figure out custom ROM options to get rid of the Samsung mess. Maybe by summer time there will be good options.

WTH!

That sounds sensible to me but I've come to realize that people in general don't look for reasons anymore nowadays, they just act on whims.
Maybe it's always been like that, either that or I'm just getting old.

Well when you have to spend probably close to a grand for an unlocked version of the phone (The Edge is 200-300+ than the normal one and flagships are usually in the 500-600 mark) you just don't do it on a whim.

Shipments is different with preorders. So a big corporation like samsung can can provide big shipments versus smaller players like HTC. But it doesnt mean that people will gonna buy this. Lets wait for the results in a month if it can break iphone 6/6+ in total fulfilled orders.

Phones just don't seem to impress me anymore. My S4 from two years ago still does just about anything the new devices do, minus the gimmicky curved screens or finger scanners. I'm still probably going to get the LG G4 that way I can cycle my S4 down to my dad to replace his ancient S2.

WTH!

Well when you have to spend probably close to a grand for an unlocked version of the phone (The Edge is 200-300+ than the normal one and flagships are usually in the 500-600 mark) you just don't do it on a whim.
Well... I wouldn't, but I can't speak for others.

I don't understand the move from Samsung to get rid of the replaceable battery and the upgradeable memory. 2 key factors that were making the difference with Apple iPhones.

Now I don't have a reason to change my phone anymore and I will stick to my S4 or look for a different model that offer the same features.

Last edited:
"Samsung expecting record Galaxy S6 shipments"

They should also expect record returns. Samsung lied about bloatware removal, apparently. The GS6 was heavily marketed on users being able to remove carrier and OEM bloatware. Users finding out they can only disable the bloatware will be furious and, like me, will probably return their new GS6 for a refund.

I totally agree with Joe. I have used both the S6 and the Edge for the past month now. No clear difference. Would rate both of them 95% in quality. Nice work samsung. Wondering what the S7 would have :)

Back