Samsung F1 - Annoyingly Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutty

Hey Techspot.
My 750GB Samsung F1 got here yesterday. I've used WDs and Seagate Barracudas for the last three years, and they've never caused a problem, but this Samsung is making a pulsing/throbbing humming noise that I can hear over the TV, and is making the desk noticibly vibrate when I place my hands on it.

Is this normal? Is there a way to shut it up? The drive is mounted with plastic sliders. I've heard Samsung F1s are fairly quiet, which has me worried.

Considering that one of their listed features is NoiseGuard and another is SilentSeek, I would suggest calling their tech support people to see what they say.

Considering that one of their listed features is NoiseGuard and another is SilentSeek, I would suggest calling their tech support people to see what they say.

Skutty said:
Hey Techspot.
My 750GB Samsung F1 got here yesterday. I've used WDs and Seagate Barracudas for the last three years, and they've never caused a problem, but this Samsung is making a pulsing/throbbing humming noise that I can hear over the TV, and is making the desk noticibly vibrate when I place my hands on it.

Is this normal? Is there a way to shut it up? The drive is mounted with plastic sliders. I've heard Samsung F1s are fairly quiet, which has me worried.

No that's not normal I have one of those HDDs from them and it's going to get worst before it fails. Call them and report the problem and have them replace it for you. You might get luckly and they might send you a 1TB instead of 750GB. Also in the meantime backup the drive to another drive just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back