Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch rumored to be unveiled September 4th

Justin Kahn

The long rumored Samsung smartwatch is set to be unveiled next month, according to a report from Bloomberg. The outlet's sources describe the device as a wrist watch-like smartphone that allows you to make calls, use email and surf the web.

Bloomberg's sources claim the device will be called the Galaxy Gear, the same name a recent Samsung patent filing pointed at. That patent outlined a digital electronic wearable in the form of a wristwatch, band or bangle with full internet and messaging capabilities. Samsung's wearable device will not have a flexible display, but according to the sources, the company is indeed still working on a watch prototype that does.

The Samsung Galaxy Gear will be available to the public this year in order to compete with Apple's watch project, according to the sources. The device is to be revealed on September 4, just two days before IFA and the same day the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phablet is expected to be unveiled.

It is unclear as to whether or not the Galaxy Gear is operating as a completely stand alone device or designed to access content and services through your smartphone or tablet. Some have suggested the first to market a proper smartwatch could really bolster platform adoption rates. With Sony unvileing its SmartWatch 2 already, and with Apple and Microsoft both appearing to be entering the wearable computing space in the near future, the race looks to have gotten even tighter.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if the timing of this was planned so that Samsung can try to overshadow Apple's new iPhone release.

Why would they need to? I don't even think apples new phone can be called "new" as technically their isn't much different like what the screen size?

Wow. I honestly have no clue about this. I mean its a 50/50 draw on this. It will either be a total success or a total failure. I guess all we can say is time will tell. I don't know if I'd like having something like that (but thats my personal opinion. I don't like things on my wrist.) So, it depends on the people they are targeting this towards. Maybe sporty people. Or the business man or woman.

It's gorgeous! If you want to look geeky in the office there soon to be one more way. The practicality the way I see it is in reducing the strain on your mobile device thus prolonging its life span.

I really want one if this is true. Apple may have the chance to outperform Samsung just like Sony did with the PS4 (dissing the Xbox every time a feature was unveiled).

Back