Samsung introduces Chromebook 4 and Chromebook 4+ starting at $229.99

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: It's been close to four years since Samsung quietly dropped the Chromebook 3. Refreshed models from Samsung are now arriving with a bit more fanfare, and for good reason. Chromebooks are big business these days, especially in the lucrative education sector. With a svelte design and an attractive price point, Samsung could move a lot of these in the coming months.

Samsung has expanded its Chromebook lineup on Monday with the introduction of the Samsung Chromebook 4 and Chromebook 4+. The two systems are essentially identical save for screen size and connectivity options, with the former featuring an 11.6-inch LED panel operating at 1,366 x 768 and the latter utilizing a 15.6-inch LED screen with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080.

Under the hood, you’ll find an Intel Celeron N4000 processor, Intel UHD Graphics 600 and your choice of 4GB or 6GB of LPDDR4 memory and either 32GB or 64GB of eMMC storage.

Both systems offer dual 1.5W speakers, an internal digital microphone and a 720p webcam as well as Wi-Fi 5 (2x2), Bluetooth connectivity, a microSD card reader and a combination headphone / microphone jack. The larger of the two offers an additional USB-C port (two versus one) and is a bit heavier at 3.75 pounds compared to 2.60 pounds.

As for battery life, Samsung said you can expect up to 10.5 hours and 12.5 hours per charge from the Chromebook 4 and Chromebook 4+, respectively. In terms of durability, both meet eight military-grade ((MIL-STD-810G) standards against treats such as humidity, high temperature and vibration, just to name a few.

You don’t get amenities like a touchscreen, 2-in-1 functionality or a stylus but of course, those omissions are factored into the cost.

Samsung’s Chromebook 4 starts at just $229.99 and you can take home the larger Chromebook 4+ starting at only $299.99. Both are available to purchase from today directly from Samsung and via select retailers like Best Buy.

Permalink to story.

The one thing I'd like to know is how long these will get updates? Google has a weird update policy that only allows updates for six years from the date of release of the chipset. Does this mean these models have a short life for active updating? It would be very helpful if the update life, of a Chromebook, was included in reviews.

Edit: The update expiration is supposed to be listed on this page: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366 The Samsung Chromebook 4 is not listed. The older Samsung Chromebook 3 is already past its end of life, for OS updates. There should be a ten year update cycle, IMO.

The one thing I'd like to know is how long these will get updates? Google has a weird update policy that only allows updates for six years from the date of release of the chipset. Does this mean these models have a short life for active updating? It would be very helpful if the update life, of a Chromebook, was included in reviews.

Edit: The update expiration is supposed to be listed on this page: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366 The Samsung Chromebook 4 is not listed. The older Samsung Chromebook 3 is already past its end of life, for OS updates. There should be a ten year update cycle, IMO.

And that's the reason I'll never buy a Chromebook again. Google's planned obsolescence is pathetic.

I have reached the point where I don't trust anything from Google.

There should be a ten year update cycle, IMO.

I can't disagree. I owned an HP laptop (a dv8211tx) for 11 years and updated it through each version of Windows from XP to Win 10. I gave it away 2 years ago and it is still working; still running Win 10. It's now a 13 year old, 32-bit laptop that's still useable. Google again shows itself to be a pathetic company.

Maybe try this?

https://www.ifixit.com/News/30282/how-to-get-updates-on-your-end-of-life-chromebook

"Luckily, there is a solution for many Chromebooks. It usually involves only a screwdriver, sometimes with some odd bits, and rarely a bit of electrical tape. You’ll do some weird stuff with a USB drive, and you’ll have to type a couple things into a command prompt."

That's it?? I am sure Chrome users will jump at this opportunity...

Or, one could just tell Google to stuff it and buy something else that has a longer life span!!!

"Luckily, there is a solution for many Chromebooks. It usually involves only a screwdriver, sometimes with some odd bits, and rarely a bit of electrical tape. You’ll do some weird stuff with a USB drive, and you’ll have to type a couple things into a command prompt."

That's it?? I am sure Chrome users will jump at this opportunity...

Or, one could just tell Google to stuff it and buy something else that has a longer life span!!!

I agree. Just trying to be helpful for anybody already stuck with an outdated chromebook...

Back