Samsung is building a second 5nm factory in South Korea

nanoguy

Staff member
Forward-looking: Samsung is the global leader in the memory chip business, but it still has some catching up to do when it comes to contract chip-making, currently dominated by TSMC. To that end, the South Korean tech giant is implementing a multi-year plan to build additional manufacturing capacity.

Samsung has talked a lot about its ambitions around building more manufacturing capacity for next generation silicon, both for its own custom chips as well as serving the needs of others like Apple, Google, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Amazon. The plan announced at the Foundry Forum will take ten years to complete and will require $116 billion in funding as well as a lot of engineering talent.

Recently, the South Korean tech giant started construction on its second 5nm manufacturing facility in Pyeongtaek, a city in the Gyeonggi Province, south of Seoul. The factory will be equipped to produce chips using an extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUV) process which is essential in competing with TSMC for the made-to-order foundry business.

Samsung says most of the new factory's output will likely go towards processors, 5G modems, as well as FPGAs and ASICs for machine learning applications. As for when it will be able to take orders, that could be as soon as the second half of 2021, same as the $17 billion Hwaseong facility. This would also coincide with Apple's rumored plans to introduce ARM-based Macs which are said to feature 5nm chips, as well as Nvidia's mysterious Hopper-based GPUs.

That means Samsung will have seven factories dedicated to contract chip manufacturing, six in South Korea and one in Austin, Texas. The Hwaseong facility will start making 5nm chips sometime in the second half of this year.

As for TSMC, the company is also on track to produce its first 5nm chips in the second half of 2020, with 3nm being pushed back to late 2022, same as Samsung. The Taiwan-based chipmaker is also investing billions into building a US factory, but will soon lose Huawei, which is among its biggest customers as a result of new US export rules.

Permalink to story.

Smart move keeping the investment out of China.

A lot of big named countries will divest from China.

But none of that will stop China's intellectual property theft or China's currency manipulation which keeps labor there cheap and ensures them the competitive edge.

Add that to China's superior education system/discipline and you understand why China's poised to take over and control the entire Eastern Hemisphere - if they don't truly control it already.

Thank God I learned Mandarin!

Last edited:
As for when it will be able to take orders, that could be as soon as the second half of 2021, same as the $17 billion Hwaseong facility.

BUT they might want to find out how China is able to build a 2,000 bed hospital in just a week so they can speed up their schedule .... on second thought, they better take 2 weeks since one of those hospitals collapsed ......

I hope the CARS virus (China Acute Respiratory Syndrome) is the push that manufacturers start moving OUT of China, no matter how cheap their (slave) labor is.
See what globalization can do?

A lot of big named countries will divest from China.

But none of that will stop China's intellectual property theft or China's currency manipulation which keeps labor their cheap and ensures them the competitive edge.

Add that to China's superior education system/discipline and you understand why China's poised to take over and control the entire Eastern Hemisphere - if they don't truly control it already.

Thank God I learned Mandarin!
What intellectual property theft?

I hope the CARS virus (China Acute Respiratory Syndrome) is the push that manufacturers start moving OUT of China, no matter how cheap their (slave) labor is.
See what globalization can do?
Nice story. We yet have to receive compensation for U.S swine & American HIV.
Globalization can't do anything. It only exists as long as western companies can keep selling their products in our market. As soon as the reverse starts to happen, it becomes national security matter to them.
But 1 thing that is sure to happen after this trade war is the decoupling. U.S will be cut off from global finance. I am more in favour of digital currency. Americans can print their note as much as they want , heard there is toilet paper shortage.
We also need to block western companies from our markets throughout South, South east, east Asia. It's going to be tough for first couple of years, but we need regional companies to take those places.
Plus I am in favour of regional student exchange rather than top students from our universities going to west under their so called scholarship funding.
Globalization was always a fantasy. This will be final nail in the coffin of globalization propaganda. It's every country for themselves. Preserving so called west leadership under globalization propaganda has been a common trick. Enough.

Globalization can't do anything. It only exists as long as western companies can keep selling their products in our market. As soon as the reverse starts to happen, it becomes national security matter to them.
But 1 thing that is sure to happen after this trade war is the decoupling. U.S will be cut off from global finance. I am more in favour of digital currency. Americans can print their note as much as they want , heard there is toilet paper shortage.
We also need to block western companies from our markets throughout South, South east, east Asia. It's going to be tough for first couple of years, but we need regional companies to take those places.
Plus I am in favour of regional student exchange rather than top students from our universities going to west under their so called scholarship funding.
Globalization was always a fantasy. This will be final nail in the coffin of globalization propaganda. It's every country for themselves. Preserving so called west leadership under globalization propaganda has been a common trick. Enough.
HIV actually started in AFRICA

Wikipedia says HIV is, from Chimps and gorillas as a mutation of of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus, (SIV) :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_HIV/AIDS

Now whether that's from Africans banging or eating our first cousins of the animal kingdom the article didn't specify.

Considering many of them appear to be espionage agents, I'm all for that.
In context, it would appear that you fancy yourself as either the "Trump of the east", or you're the janitor at one of the Chicom intelligence agencies.

I'd suggest you start putting somebody else's money where your mouth is, and get Huawei out of Britain

Hey, that would be a great way to start your anti-globalization campaign.

Last edited:
Back