Samsung planning to mass produce AMOLED displays next year

Emil

Staff

Samsung wants to mass produce flexible Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) displays next year. The electronics giant also hopes to introduce smartphones and wrist watches with these flexible displays as soon as Q2 2012, according to the Korean website etnews.

To reach its goal, the Korean company has set up a joint venture with Ube Kosan, a Japanese company that can deliver the required plastic substrate material. Samsung will be ramping up production with a new 1000m² plant, for which construction is expected to be finalized this year. Unsurprisingly, there is already speculation that the Samsung Galaxy S III will feature these displays.

The displays in question can be bent or rolled up like a piece of paper. Although they are still part of a new technology, Samsung has done enough testing to be confident that they can be used by consumers on a daily basis.

Last month, Samsung researchers designed and built a prototype of a seamless foldable AMOLED display. The display's mechanical and optical robustness were tested by performing 100,000 folding-unfolding cycles. The relative brightness at the junction decreased by just 6 percent, which is hardly recognizable by the human eye and so the deterioration can be considered negligible.

The AMOLED displays we'll see from Samsung next year will not be foldable that many times. Most flexible displays, which are becoming increasingly more viable and interesting to mobile companies, are bendable or rollable to avoid the creases that occur from folding a material completely in half. Some believe that foldable displays could be the future of mobile devices as they solve the problem of minimizing the size of the device while simultaneously maximizing the size of the display.

Permalink to story.

When will I be able to get a monitor with one of these in it? I'd love to see a 24" and 30" display with these in them.

yRaz said:
When will I be able to get a monitor with one of these in it? I'd love to see a 24" and 30" display with these in them.

Not possible at the moment. The failure rate with their phone ones is insanely high, making a fully functioning large sized one isn't really viable. Plus the screens have limitations which make it higher to make a higher res screen(SGS2 is still 480x800).

I'd kill to have a room where I could change the wallpaper on a whim.

Well, maybe not kill. Kick someone in the sheen or something.

Back