Samsung prepping Galaxy Mega smartphones with massive displays

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung is preparing a new line of massive smartphones known as the Galaxy Mega. The first two handsets to carry this branding will ship with a 5.8-inch and a 6.3-inch display, respectively, according to an inside source as reported by SamMobile. It had previously been rumored that the Galaxy Note III would carry a 6.3-inch screen but that no longer appears to be Samsung’s strategy if this recent tidbit is to be believed.

The publication notes the Galaxy Mega 5.8 carries the codename GT-19152 while the larger Galaxy Mega 6.3 is codenamed GT-19200. We are told the 5.8-inch model will be available in white only and launch around May 27 while the 6.3-inch device will ship in white and black a few weeks later – perhaps around June 17.

samsung galaxy mega samsung

Such rumors might otherwise go unpublished had it not been for some supporting evidence that was uncovered last month. During the Galaxy S4’s unveiling, Samsung released some information about a Game Pad that can be used with select smartphones. Of particular interest was the revelation that it supports screen sizes up to 6.3-inches which just happens to be the same size as the Galaxy Mega 6.3 in today’s rumor.

Phones in this size range would essentially fill in any gaps between traditional mobile phones and tablets. It’ll ultimately be up to Samsung to determine whether or not these will be high-end devices or mid-range handsets as previously rumored. Given the dates listed above are semi-accurate, we should hear more about the Galaxy Mega in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

My uncle tells me he loves his Galaxy Note II, but the only thing he hates is that it keeps on falling out of his pocket lol. How can they make an already huge phone bigger.

My uncle tells me he loves his Galaxy Note II, but the only thing he hates is that it keeps on falling out of his pocket lol. How can they make an already huge phone bigger.
by turning it into a tablet. Next think you know people are going to be carrying 50" tvs on their backs, probably a Samsung.

Lmao so they go from the Note II which is 5.5 and already looks like a small book next to your head.

To 6.3 monstrosity so it looks like you have a school text book......

I seriously dont get how this will gain customers. If this is Samsung's strategy to beat Apple, it is gonna ultimately fail. Maybe they will just expand the screen to the edges like they did with the S4, but 5.5 to 6.3 will require more width.

Phone/tablet/netbook/laptop...they're evolving into the same thing it looks like.

The only thing that's remaining unique is the plain old desktop. :)
Yup, it is kind of unfortunate. I like that idea of a hybrid notebook. But the current models dont pop out.

6.3" smartphone - I call it a toilet version, 'cos that's about as practical as you want to get in your daily "business", while in a sacred room. I don't see it any good for anything else.

I'm using a 4" phone, and not willing to go any bigger, because for that I have a 10" tablet, a 13" ultra-book and a 6" kindle for books, each indispensable for its own tasks. Anyone who tries to merge those devices into one is an *****.

What happens in the market with smartphones today is a perversion - they create what they can, not what is needed, like a 6.3" abomination of a phone.

Whenever my mom looks at a Galaxy S3, she is like, "That thing is huge, why would anyone want something like that." Then when she looks at a Note, she is speechless lol.

They only do it because "big and shiny" is a never-failing fodder for the brainless.

I have a G Note I (previous was the Dell Streak), I"m SOLD on the 5-6" screen. I don't use my device without a BT headset. For work, which I spend using my hands repairing equipment, this thing is perfect. Also, the size allows me to look things up without having to unpack the laptop. For me, win-win, for others too big, but, at least I have a choice on screen size.

I'm not buying a new phone until the screens don't shatter on first drop (without a case).

I like my note II.
It's been more of a multi-use device than my iphone could've ever hoped to be.
Browsing the web and looking at e-mails seemed a little ridiculous and tedious to me on my old iphones tiny screen. I had even bought an ipad and started hauling it around with me just so I could do that easier.
I find desktop like applications on my Note II actually usable now.
Also, I didn't think I would have a use for the pen function in the Note II, but I've used it more than a few times now to jot down quick notes. Even while on a call!

6.3" does seem large to me, and mines 5.5".
But I think with the use of a handsfree device, this thing could be a very useful tablet/phone for a lot of people, Including myself.

I sure hope this device is as hated as it is here with these irrational wackos. I'd love to pick up one of these cheap secondhand.

I was so comfortable with my previous phone's 3.5" screen because it easily allowed me to reach to all four corners of the screen with the thumb while holding it in my hand. Which essentially mean I could handle it and touch anywhere in the screen with only one hand.

This is really important because I'm using public transport a lot. Be it train or bus if you are standing you better need one hand free all the time to hold onto something.

While I love my Nexus 4's vibrant 4.7" screen it's awfully difficult to handle with one hand. So I don't think I'll ever go beyond 5 inch screen for a smartphone.

Tablet is an entirely different story though..

I'm loving my Note II. I spend around 2 hours total commuting back and forth via bus 4 days a week and on those days it's just perfect for my needs and makes the commute much more bearable. My iPad is way too big for something like that. The screen on the Note II is just big enough to surf and read PDFs without too much trouble while still being small enough to squeeze into my pockets. I tested out a friend's iPhone before deciding on the Note II and found the screen frustratingly small for my needs. I rarely make any actual phonecalls. About one or two per month on average. I basically use it as a small tablet on the go and it's perfect for that. Not too sure about going bigger than that though. Once it can't fit in the pocket, it sorta becomes pointless. Then I might as well use the much much cheaper cellular version of the Nexus 7 instead.

The publication notes the Galaxy Mega 5.8 carries the codename GT-19152 while the larger Galaxy Mega 6.3 is codenamed GT-19200

Correction: GT-I9152 and GT-I9200. Yeah I know the naming sucks I wonder if they can change it to GT-FO or something :D

We can rip on it all we want, but Samsung is laughing all the way to the bank, and everyone who buys one of these huge phones talks about how much they love them. Turns out the people who read and review on tech websites aren't a good representation of the general population.

For example, there's this other gender called 'woman' and they carry these things around with them called 'purses'. There is no concern about it being too big for a pocket. The bigger it is, the easier it is to use. Yes, it looks silly to talk on, but no one talks on phones anymore, they just text with them.

The Note series has been a unqualifies success for Samsung. It is the hybrid between smartphone and tablet. It fills a nitch. I have a Android tablet and a Iphone 4. I have to lug both of them around daily at work. I would like to get a Note simply because it would help to combine my two devices and allows me to work faster.

Come on technology, where is my bendy plastic phone that you can roll and fold. Get a 15 inch phone that you fold up and slide in your pocket. Have the screen automatically adapt to the fold. So if you folded it up to 3x3 inches, the display would go onto that space. Unfold and you have yourself a newspaper size display. Reading an article? Just fold it in half and then flip it over each time to change to the next page... hmm.

Back