Android Samsung reportedly addressing its Achilles heel in the Galaxy S6 with help from Microsoft

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Samsung is reportedly veering off the beaten path its next flagship smartphone. Specifically, the South Korean tech giant is addressing what's often described as its Achilles heel: software.

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/59755-samsung-reportedly-addressing-achilles-heel-galaxy-s6-help.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

R

RustyTech

"and heavily reducing the amount of bloatware that comes pre-installed. Many of Samsung’s homegrown apps will now be optional downloads."

one word: \o/

Reactions: CanadEan84

EEatGDL

If they do a notable positive change on that department as advertised, I may be considering it again. Good to see they're learning from feedback and failure to offer something a lot better to the customer.

ChuckyDhaBeast

''what’s often described as its Achilles heel: software.''

Then they should have stopped ¢£¤¬£¢¬ around with the OS and all the boat. Problem solved.

kaonis92

What about the S5 though? We deserve that update, the Lollipop update has made it significantly less responsive...

G

I have no issues with my S5 from Sprint. Got my phone in Dec. '14. Updated to Lollipop 5.0 yesterday. I see no difference in performance. It's not better or worse for me. It was the same, which for me was great as I had no issues with KitKat 4.4.4.
Not sure why people have so many issues. I have heard if you have older apps, that is more than likely causing the issues. If a app doesn't get a update then it can cause issues with Lollipop. Sprint may have fixed some issues before releasing it to the S5 also. I don't use a lot of apps to begin with outside of what's preinstalled so that may be why I have so little issues. I'm not a big app person, just need a phone to call and text. Camera is nice to have also.

Xclusiveitalian

"and heavily reducing the amount of bloatware that comes pre-installed. Many of Samsung’s homegrown apps will now be optional downloads."

one word: \o/
"Sources told the publication that Sammy will install several Microsoft-branded apps on the Galaxy S6 including, but not limited to, OneNote, OneDrive, Office Mobile (with a free 365 subscription) and Skype."

=(

G

I haven't found that the Lollipop upgrade has slowed down the S5 at all. In fact, I'd say it is slightly (very slightly, but still there) better.