Samsung reportedly readying the Gear Solo, a smartwatch with built in phone capabilities

Himanshu Arora

Staff

One of the biggest limitations of today's smartwatches is their dependency on the wearer's smartphone, but it looks like Samsung and SK Telecom are working on a solution. According to a Patently Apple report, the South Korean companies are jointly preparing to release a smartwatch equipped with a Universal Subscriber Identity Module, or USIM.

This means that the smartwatch would be able to make and receive calls on its own, without relying on the wearer's smartphone.

The new smartwatch could be branded as 'Gear Solo', as Samsung has filed for the trademark for the brand name with the Korean Intellectual Property Office. But according to people close to the matter, the brand name is not set in stone yet and could change before hitting the market.

According to The Korea Herald, a Samsung official declined to comment on the 'Gear Solo' saying that they were not authorized to talk about products that have yet to be officially released, suggesting it does exist.

The details are thin at the moment, but it is being speculated that the smartwatch will be announced in the coming weeks, and will launch in Korea first through SK Telecom, before being released overseas.

Permalink to story.

They are a bit late, I already have a watch that can make call without a phone, its call Omate.

Lol, I love Samsung tech spinners...
Samsung 'Gear Solo', a smartwatch with built in phone capabilities...
a billboard ads I found at a city in southern Philippines:
Samsung Galaxy Camera, the only camera with 10x optical zoom...

The dude in the picture has a blinged-out iPhone, a blinged-out smartwatch, a suit and no cufflinks. No cufflinks! Was the author trying to send a subliminal message, that watches that take phone calls are for people who aren't good at planning? I think so...

Back