Samsung rumored to be readying graphene batteries that can fully charge in under half...

Humza

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Tightly-packed lithium-ion batteries arguably remain one of the Achilles heels of the modern smartphone. They've led to a whole consumer market of supplementary power accessories like battery banks, cases and even Bluetooth speakers, like the JBL Charge 4, with enough power reserves to juice your smartphone and play music. The recent inclusion of reverse wireless charging tech on most flagships also serves as a reminder of how frequently these batteries drain with our daily usage. For such annoyances, Samsung is reported to have something up its sleeve with its graphene battery technology that it has been working on for the past few years.

It's a strange but true fact that while technology advancements in lithium-ion powered devices like laptops and smartphones have improved dramatically over the years, the battery tech itself has mostly remained stagnant, leading to a variety of hardware solutions like power banks and simply cramming in more battery or software solutions like power saving and stamina modes to extend usage of our devices.

According to Evan Blass a.k.a @evleaks, who probably needs no introduction, the "suboptimal" lithium-ion batteries may soon be surpassed by Samsung's graphene batteries. The company has been working on the technology for a few years and it seems plausible now that it has mostly finished its work on the new tech and is expected to feature it in one of its handsets by next year or so.

"Samsung is hoping to have at least one handset either next year or in 2021, I'm told, which will feature a graphene battery instead," Evan said, adding that these will be "capable of a full charge in under a half-hour," suggesting that Samsung would need to raise capacities while lowering costs.

Apart from being more flexible, which could lead to more interesting form factors for handsets and other gadgets, graphene batteries are also said to have higher capacities than their lithium-ion counterparts while keeping weight low—benefits that smartphone manufacturers and consumers alike would love to have in their products today if it were possible.

As for any new tech, the cost of graphene batteries might fairly jack up smartphone prices even more, but being one of the more useful innovations, consumers might be more inclined to stretch their budget once such batteries start to appear in smartphones.

Permalink to story.

Manufacturers continue to tout charging speed, but IMO we've hit a point where any phone with "fast charging" capabilities is going to be good enough. Consumers want capacity and longevity. Full charge in <30mins is cool, but I'm interested to see other specs.

Here is a friendly reminder to not take any battery related article too seriously. I'll believe a viable new battery technology when I can buy a device with one in it.

The technology is 20+ years away from consumers imo.

Ah, come on. 20 years? The entire consumer history of iPhone dates to just 12 years years ago. Twenty years ago, I still dropped $30 for a CD with 10 tracks on it, and I didn't have a computer that could play CDs until I was in college years after that. Twenty years ago I had dial up internet at less than 56kbps speeds. I don't think I could even download music until about 16-17 years ago, and it took hours for one song. Twenty years is forever in tech.

It won't be a battery it will be a capacitor technically so I've read and it will charge quicker than half an hour and won't ever explode and theoretically will last as long as the phone, car or laptop and will revolutionize the battery industry for ever, the most interesting part from this story is they made a battery out of GRAPHENE...if they did they will be the richest firm in the world within a year (guess) on from showing a working battery in a phone, car or laptop

It won't be a battery it will be a capacitor technically so I've read and it will charge quicker than half an hour and won't ever explode and theoretically will last as long as the phone, car or laptop and will revolutionize the battery industry for ever, the most interesting part from this story is they made a battery out of GRAPHENE...if they did they will be the richest firm in the world within a year (guess) on from showing a working battery in a phone, car or laptop
You just rolled all the pie in the sky battery tech promises from the last 5 years into a single run-on sentence. Kudos on that. Fast charging! Huge capacity! Unlimited recharges! Never explode! Also, GRAPHENE!!! Maybe they can link enough of these magic batteries together and create a space elevator too!

Ah, come on. 20 years? The entire consumer history of iPhone dates to just 12 years years ago. Twenty years ago, I still dropped $30 for a CD with 10 tracks on it, and I didn't have a computer that could play CDs until I was in college years after that. Twenty years ago I had dial up internet at less than 56kbps speeds. I don't think I could even download music until about 16-17 years ago, and it took hours for one song. Twenty years is forever in tech.
It's more to do with that it takes time for the manufacturing process to be refined to an economically viable solution for companies to use. Lithium as a battery material was being tested on in the 70s but didn't become popular for consumer products until the late 90s/early 2000s.
Another thing is the chemistry behind Graphene, it's so thin and hard to manipulate unlike silicon. All the best technologie out in the wild come from government investment, so Graphene will only become a suitable source when Governments put public tax payers money into R&D and the only country doing that is the UK as far as I'm aware. So yeah I give it 20 years before we see a battery that's dense and small enough to fit inside a phone at an affordable price.

Graphene is not gonna cut it. We need something with a higher energy density. It must come close to 30% of that of gasoline. It will have to be based on hydrogen.

It's more to do with that it takes time for the manufacturing process to be refined to an economically viable solution for companies to use. Lithium as a battery material was being tested on in the 70s but didn't become popular for consumer products until the late 90s/early 2000s.
Another thing is the chemistry behind Graphene, it's so thin and hard to manipulate unlike silicon. All the best technologie out in the wild come from government investment, so Graphene will only become a suitable source when Governments put public tax payers money into R&D and the only country doing that is the UK as far as I'm aware. So yeah I give it 20 years before we see a battery that's dense and small enough to fit inside a phone at an affordable price.

"Samsung is hoping to have at least one handset either next year or in 2021, I'm told, which will feature a graphene battery instead,"

Why be annoyed ???. As of today Versarien from the UK is the only graphene producer in the world to be verified by the Graphene Council of America. Several others are trying for verification but are not succeeding yet. The leading graphene producer in the world is from the country where it was discovered and is in demand from all over the world including China. China have the largest number of 'graphene' producers yet The Beijing Graphene Institute of Technology want to sign up with Versarien because they know the local producers are not proper graphene and Versarien are the only independently verified producer.

I find it mostly annoying to think it was the UK that discovered graphene and they hardly have any of the patents.
They should of kept a lid on the discovery to stop china taking the cherry of the top of the cake.
https://assets.publishing.service.g..._-_the_worldwide_patent_landscape_in_2015.pdf

I find it mostly annoying to think it was the UK that discovered graphene and they hardly have any of the patents.
They should of kept a lid on the discovery to stop china taking the cherry of the top of the cake.
https://assets.publishing.service.g..._-_the_worldwide_patent_landscape_in_2015.pdf
Don't be too annoyed. The only graphene manufacturer in the world to be verified by the Graphene Council in America is actually a British company - Versarien. This was back in April this year and as of yet, no others have managed to get this accolade despite trying. Many many companies are producing graphene but not as good a quality as Versarien and many (especially the Chinese) are just producing graphite.

Back