Samsung to launch Nvidia Ion-based N510 netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Samsung already broke the typical netbook mold back in February when it announced the Nano-powered NC20. Now in a similar fashion, the company is joining Lenovo in bringing mainstream PC graphics to the segment, with the introduction of its Ion-based N510. Shown briefly during an Nvidia presentation, the new netbook will sport an 11.6-inch (1366 x 768) display, and Intel’s latest Atom N280 processor under the hood clocked at 1.66GHz.

Besides housing an Nvidia 9400M graphics chip, the N510 should have relatively standard netbook components. These include a 160GB hard disk drive, 1GB of memory, Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, Bluetooth, a webcam, multi-format memory card reader, 6-cell Li-Ion battery and Windows XP Home. The N510 should arrive as soon as next month, though unfortunately the rumored 570€ (~$800) price tag puts it firmly into full-notebook territory. (Image source: Legit Reviews)

Permalink to story.

I have to admit, I don't mind the price if what you are getting is decent, this actually sounds (and looks) decent, I would consider buying a netbook like this as it would now run WoW =P plus many other things,

The massive size of WoW, along with the immense processing and graphics power it requires , would ultimately cause WoW to run very slow on this platform burty117. Please don't buy this netbook thinking it will be a new compact gaming platform. It simply is not.

LOL! i've got a lower spec laptop than this running wow! lol!

"the immense processing and graphics power it requires" - this is a load of S**T and you know it, wow is possibly the easyest game to run even when it was released it didn't require a super computer.

"The massive size of WoW" - its only like 14GB, crysis is bigger than that, and this netbook has 160GB, so no problem there.

"Please don't buy this netbook thinking it will be a new compact gaming platform. It simply is not." - I never said it is, i stated that this is more powerful than most other netbooks, and if you have a search on the internet, with some modding and overclocking, people have managed to get wow to run on older netbooks before, badly i will admit but still managed it, this has 4x the graphics is power (which is where the other netbooks where failing) so I am happy to bet this would run wow happily.

The problem with WoW is that it's a heavily CPU dependant game. It relies alot of the power of the CPu, not the GPU, and since the Atom is a pretty weak CPU, with a low 512kb of L2 cache (cache is what WoW relies mostly on) It's really not going to run WoW any better than what you've seen on the older netbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back