Samsung unveils all-metal Galaxy A5 and A3, its slimmest smartphones to date

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a day after Samsung announced that its Q3 operating profit fell to its lowest level in more than three years, thanks to slowing smartphone sales, the company has unveiled a couple of new devices: the Galaxy A5 and the Galaxy A3, which are its "slimmest" smartphones to date.

Aimed at "young consumers seeking practicality and functionality", both pack a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, run Android KitKat (4.4), include support for 4G networks, and come with a five-megapixel front-facing camera and 16GB internal memory -- expandable up to 64GB via micro SD slot.

The Galaxy A5, which is 6.7mm thin, has better specs with a 5.0” HD Super AMOLED display, 2GB RAM, 13-megapixel camera on the back, and 2,300 mAh battery. The Galaxy A3 is 6.9mm thin and features a 4.5” qHD Super AMOLED display, 1GB RAM, 8-megapixel rear camera, and 1,900 mAh battery.

Both devices have fully metallic bodies and feature popular Galaxy features such as Ultra-Power Saving Mode, Private Mode, Multiscreen, and more.

The Galaxy A3 and Galaxy A5 will be available in a variety of colors and will launch in select markets including China in November. No word on when or if Samsung will launch the devices in the US.

Permalink to story.

Now samsung design just more looks like previous iphone, and new iphone design more looks like previous samsung..
I'm confused..

That's more like it Sammy, people have been clamouring for a metal design for decades now and it looks like you've just woken up to that fact now if you don't include that new oversized phone with the pen thingy (I forget the series name) and the new Alpha.
I'd be interested in the A3 if I was in the market for a new device, a 4.5" screen is as big as I'd want to go, construction materials makes no difference to me, price and size is what I go on.

Now samsung design just more looks like previous iphone, and new iphone design more looks like previous samsung..
I'm confused..

True dat... maybe they struck a secret deal where they could copy each other's designs...

Back