Samsung unveils its camera-focused Galaxy S9 handsets

midian182

Staff member

After months of speculation, leaks, and yesterday’s official launch video, Samsung has finally unveiled its Galaxy S9 flagships at Mobile World Congress.

Samsung’s head of IT and Mobile Communications division, DJ Koh, took to the stage and made his way through the history of phones, mentioning his firm’s invention of the phablet, before revealing the Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus.

We already knew that the S9 handsets would come with similar designs to their predecessors, and this was confirmed at the event. Samsung did say, however, that the full-screen Infinity display “for the social generation” has been refined, and the company couldn’t resist a dig at rival Apple by mentioning the lack of a notch and presence of a fingerprint scanner, which has been moved below the camera for easier reach—no in-screen technology for Samsung, yet.

Both phones’ screens have the same 18.5:9 ratios, curved sides, and glass front and backs as the S8, along with the same Super AMOLED panels with 2960 x 1440 resolutions, though they are now brighter. The standard S9 measures 5.8 inches and comes with a single rear camera, while the S9+ comes in at 6.2 inches with a dual camera setup.

Samsung has pushed the S9s’ cameras as their standout feature, calling them “reimagined” in its ads. Its recent flagships are excellent when it comes to low-light photography, and it looks as if the S9s will excel in this area. Samsung says its “most ground-breaking camera yet” is inspired by the human eye – the 12MP wide-angle camera fitted to both models can automatically switch between a f/1.5 aperture to f/2.4 based on lighting conditions, though it cannot be set to values in between when using manual mode. Additionally, the camera can process 4 times more image data than before to minimize noise and offer clearer low-light images.

A Slow-mo shooting mode at 960 fps (at 720p resolution), which we’ve seen in the Sony Xperia, is available for creating 6-second clips or up to 20 scenes in longer videos. There’s also autocapture, which allows users to select an area within a screen that automatically activates slo-mo when it detects movement. You can even set a slo-mo video on the phones’ lock screen. These features are available on both handsets.

Much like Apple’s Animojis, Samsung’s AR emoji feature lets users create lookalike avatars that can also be personalized. These are able to mirror expressions and users can add voice messages. Samsung says the emojis can be shared on all phones and via third-party apps, and thanks to a partnership with Disney, users can turn themselves into Mickey Mouse or members of The Incredibles.

Despite not being universally loved, Bixby hasn't gone away. S9 owners can use the AI to access features such as live language translation and logging the nutritional information of food just by pointing the camera at it.

The S9s also boast AKG-tuned Dolby Atmos immersive 3D sound through the dual speakers, and they still come with headphone jacks.

Unlocked, the S9 will cost $719.99 and the S9+ will be $839.99. They will be available for preorder in the next few hours and launch on March 16. Buyers get the choice of Midnight Black, Titanium Gray, Coral Blue, and Lilac Purple color options.

Full Specs:

GALAXY S9

• Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core (Exynos outside the US)
  • Display: 5.8 inch 2960x1440 pixels resolution Super AMOLED
  • Operating system: Android 8 Oreo
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Storage: 64/128/256GB internal with microSD card slot
  • Cameras: Super speed dual pixel 12 megapixel with OIS and mechanical dual aperture (f/1.5 and f/2.4). Front 8 megapixel camera, f/1.7.
  • Battery: 3000 mAh with fast wired and wireless charging
  • Water resistance: IP68
  • Wireless connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth 5, ANT+, NFC, GPS, Glonass, Galileo, BeiDou, MST
  • Audio: Dual stereo speakers tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos, 3.5mm headset jack
  • Sensors: Iris, pressure, Accelerometer, barometer, fingerprint, gyro, magnet, heart rate, proximity, RGB light
  • Dimensions: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm and 163 grams

GALAXY S9 PLUS

• Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core (Exynos outside the US)
  • Display: 6.2 inch 2960x1440 pixels resolution Super AMOLED
  • Operating system: Android 8 Oreo
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Storage: 64/128/256GB internal with microSD card slot
  • Cameras: Super speed dual pixel 12 megapixel with OIS and mechanical dual aperture (f/1.5 and f/2.4) and 12 megapixel f/2.4 telephoto camera. Front 8 megapixel camera, f/1.7.
  • Battery: 3500 mAh with fast wired and wireless charging
  • Water resistance: IP68
  • Wireless connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth 5, ANT+, NFC, GPS, Glonass, Galileo, BeiDou, MST
  • Audio: Dual stereo speakers tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos, 3.5mm headset jack
  • Sensors: Iris, pressure, Accelerometer, barometer, fingerprint, gyro, magnet, heart rate, proximity, RGB light
  • Dimensions: 158.1 x 73.8 x 8.5 mm and 189 grams

Permalink to story.

Never getting another curved screen phone after having the Galaxy Note 8; screen covers pop off, inputs are unresponsive; absolutely awful. Also my Note 8 comitted suicide within 90 days of use with the OLED screen dying. Should have just stuck with my iPhone 6S Plus.

Never getting another curved screen phone after having the Galaxy Note 8; screen covers pop off, inputs are unresponsive; absolutely awful. Also my Note 8 comitted suicide within 90 days of use with the OLED screen dying. Should have just stuck with my iPhone 6S Plus.

Hate to break this to you but Apple has severe issues with the iPhone 6 bending in peoples pockets. Every phone manufacturer has a defective product now and then. You should at least give them a second chance.

I wouldn't pay that for any phone. To me, just not worth something that in less than a year, will be replaced with another overpriced, overhyped phone. Samsung, Apple...just too expensive.

Hate to break this to you but Apple has severe issues with the iPhone 6 bending in peoples pockets. Every phone manufacturer has a defective product now and then. You should at least give them a second chance.

I carried my 6S Plus on transatlantic flights and on trashed third world roads, never had it bend. Curved screen issues and screen quality issues were never a concern. My wife has the S8 herself with the same screen and input issues. I have never had an iPhone die on me, but the third world is littered with my Samsung phones that did.

I carried my 6S Plus on transatlantic flights and on trashed third world roads, never had it bend. Curved screen issues and screen quality issues were never a concern. My wife has the S8 herself with the same screen and input issues. I have never had an iPhone die on me, but the third world is littered with my Samsung phones that did.

Then you are what's called the exception because the iPhone 6 bending was widely known, almost as bad as the exploding Samsung s7.

The probability of getting two phones with such a rare issue, on top of having the exact same issue, it's incredibly improbable. Samsung's defective phone rate is less than 3.5% and their defective rate for this specific issue is a fraction of that. You are looking at maybe 0.3% chance of getting this issue for a single phone. That value is exponentially lower if you consider you got two of them.

So either you have some incredibly bad luck or the issue is cause by the user. I really don't think 2 samsung phones are going to litter a single 3rd world household, let alone a country.

You sound angry at samsung for something completely out of their control. They do not make defective phones on purpose, there are humans that make a mistake somewhere along the way.

Then you are what's called the exception because the iPhone 6 bending was widely known, almost as bad as the exploding Samsung s7.

The probability of getting two phones with such a rare issue, on top of having the exact same issue, it's incredibly improbable. Samsung's defective phone rate is less than 3.5% and their defective rate for this specific issue is a fraction of that. You are looking at maybe 0.3% chance of getting this issue for a single phone. That value is exponentially lower if you consider you got two of them.

So either you have some incredibly bad luck or the issue is cause by the user. I really don't think 2 samsung phones are going to litter a single 3rd world household, let alone a country.

You sound angry at samsung for something completely out of their control. They do not make defective phones on purpose, there are humans that make a mistake somewhere along the way.

Man, you are trying too hard to be a fanboi seller for samsung here. What a joke bringing up bending in iphone 6 to make a sale. Bending was not a problem unless you put it in your back pocket and sit on it especially with those fitted jeans. You can argue all day you want if thats a fault for Apple or the user. Beside he said its 6S not 6. It doesnt matter if he wants an iphone or samsung, just let him

Man, you are trying too hard to be a fanboi seller for samsung here. What a joke bringing up bending in iphone 6 to make a sale. Bending was not a problem unless you put it in your back pocket and sit on it especially with those fitted jeans. You can argue all day you want if thats a fault for Apple or the user. Beside he said its 6S not 6. It doesnt matter if he wants an iphone or samsung, just let him

lol, you can assume what you want. I've never even owned a samsung in my life.

The iphone bent during normal use.

https://www.cnet.com/news/will-apple-replace-your-bent-iphone-6-it-depends/

There are plenty of articles on this issue. Obviously it was enough of an issue that they would replace your phone if you encountered it.

Given that you rushed in to defend Apple's vanity, it's safe to assume you prefer them. You post history certainly suggests so. You are in no position to try and fail to point out other "fanboys" as you put it, on this topic. That's the pot calling the kettle black.

lol, you can assume what you want. I've never even owned a samsung in my life.

The iphone bent during normal use.

https://www.cnet.com/news/will-apple-replace-your-bent-iphone-6-it-depends/

There are plenty of articles on this issue. Obviously it was enough of an issue that they would replace your phone if you encountered it.

Given that you rushed in to defend Apple's vanity, it's safe to assume you prefer them. You post history certainly suggests so. You are in no position to try and fail to point out other "fanboys" as you put it, on this topic. That's the pot calling the kettle black.

Your generalization is childish.
I'm working in a municipality with 8000 users and ~10000 mobile devices. We have yet to recieve an iPhone or an Android phone for that matter, in our repair shop that has been bended.
Broken screens, sure. People are careless when it's not their private devices, but never a phone that has been bended.
I'm not saying they don't bend. But wth are people doing to those phones that do? Statistically we should be through the roof with bended phones for the last 5 years, yet we have none.

Are we an anomaly?
I'm pretty sure you are going tell me I'm lying.

I'm working in a municipality with 8000 users and ~10000 mobile devices. We have yet to recieve an iPhone or an Android phone for that matter, in our repair shop that has been bended.
Broken screens, sure. People are careless when it's not their private devices, but never a phone that has been bended.
I'm not saying they don't bend. But wth are people doing to those phones that do? Statistically we should be through the roof with bended phones for the last 5 years, yet we have none.

Are we an anomaly?

Alright, before I tackle the meat of this post, learn basic English. Bent is the conjugated form you should be using, not bended. You should remember this small tip next time you call someone else childish.

First, your post doesn't even correlate to what I was talking about. I was talking about iPhone 6 specifically. I could care less about your random phone statistics. I don't have to call you an anomaly because your post isn't relevant to the subject. It's like you providing the number of fruit we have in the storage room when I asked for the number of Oranges specifically.

Second, "working in a municipality" is way too vague and how exactly does this magically give you powers to know what issues every phone within it are having. Does a computer repairman know every issue with every computer in the area? Hell no. Location, model, maker are also factors. The iPhone 6 wasn't popular everywhere in the world. If you are going to provide data then provide us with the number of Apple iPhone 6 devices you have repaired.

Third, my post was not a generalization. I provided a link and anyone with two hands can find the hundreds of articles about the issue. Like I said earlier, it was enough of an issue that warranted a response from Apple. Enough said.

The only thing your post says is that some random phones is some random (small) place in the world has typical phones issues. It does not bear any data directly pertaining to the iPhone 6 specifically mentioned as the topic matter.

Last edited:
Where are the transparent phones why are we still playing around with these curve phone that are not except able to us consumers. We want phones thin as paper well the goal would be that one day in the future. I am happy with Motorola Moto Z2 Force. Would be nice to have larger screen but when it too large for your pocket then you have to worry about. Weight another issue mine is perfect. Samsung need to come out with a better design and that's why I had passed up S8 series just wasn't into that design. The S9 same nonsense. I am looking forward to Moto G6 or higher for 2018. I take a pass on S9 not buying those or anything from Samsung again after the S7 issues...

iPhone X has issues with OLED as well.

Every manufacturer has issues. If you or the previous poster were actually correct, there would be more issues and recalls for Samsung OLED screens all around the web, but, the matter of fact, there isn't.

Sounds more like Apple fanbois than anything else. While Samsung is expensive and overpriced it is the best handheld device together with the Google Pixels.

It is clear you are an Apple fanboi because you would have at least tried a Android alternative rather than go to simple-ton iOS. If not Samsung, other Android 3rd parties are available.

The anomaly is in the price tag... This thing will arrive in my country for US$1500, I bet. And I'm not talking about the Plus version.

iPhone X has issues with OLED as well.

Every manufacturer has issues. If you or the previous poster were actually correct, there would be more issues and recalls for Samsung OLED screens all around the web, but, the matter of fact, there isn't.

Sounds more like Apple fanbois than anything else. While Samsung is expensive and overpriced it is the best handheld device together with the Google Pixels.

It is clear you are an Apple fanboi because you would have at least tried a Android alternative rather than go to simple-ton iOS. If not Samsung, other Android 3rd parties are available.
Pretty much every "flagship" smartphone is pretty similar. While they all boast slightly different features, in the end it comes down to user preference.

The single best selling phone is clearly the iPhone... so if this was a democracy, then I suppose the iPhone would win as "best phone". If you're someone who prefers Android, then you actually get some choice, as Samsung, Google, LG, etc all have pretty nice models... And if you don't... well, iPhone it is!

Curved edges are why I'm never getting another Samsung. I've had the S7(not edge) for two years and I hate that I cant put a glass screen protector on it. I have one of those plastic ones and I hate it. I work in remodeling so sometimes I get rock dust on my hands/pockets and can get scratched screens. Besides that, the phone has worked great. My next phone is a Pixel or a Hydrogen RED.

Curved edges are why I'm never getting another Samsung. I've had the S7(not edge) for two years and I hate that I cant put a glass screen protector on it. I have one of those plastic ones and I hate it. I work in remodeling so sometimes I get rock dust on my hands/pockets and can get scratched screens. Besides that, the phone has worked great. My next phone is a Pixel or a Hydrogen RED.

S7 with glass screen protector but does not go edge to edge. Took some getting used to looking at it but it works. Can't wait for my 2 years to end so I can get the S9+.

Alright, before I tackle the meant of this post, learn basic English. Bent is the conjugated form you should be using, not bended. You should remember this small tip next time you call someone else childish.

LOL... if you are going to crap on someone's English, you better make damn sure that what you type is correct: WTF is "the meant of this post"

There's the small tip right back at ya!

LOL... if you are going to crap on someone's English, you better make damn sure that what you type is correct: WTF is "the meant of this post"

There's the small tip right back at ya!

See I would have been with you on this one had I made the same number of mistakes as him or grammar correction be the only thing I mentioned in my post. I made 1 spelling mistake. He made the same grammar mistake 12 times. How's that compare? Given your post, you want to compare the difference incorrect letters used? That's 1 incorrect character for me, he has 9.

I also replied with something to add to the topic. You've added? Oh right, nothing. Last I checked, I actually replied to his comment in addition to the grammar tip.

If what you took away from my post is that then you obviously didn't absorb anything.

Are we an anomaly?

Alright, before I tackle the meat of this post, learn basic English. Bent is the conjugated form you should be using, not bended. You should remember this small tip next time you call someone else childish.

First, your post doesn't even correlate to what I was talking about. I was talking about iPhone 6 specifically. I could care less about your random phone statistics. I don't have to call you an anomaly because your post isn't relevant to the subject. It's like you providing the number of fruit we have in the storage room when I asked for the number of Oranges specifically.

Second, "working in a municipality" is way too vague and how exactly does this magically give you powers to know what issues every phone within it are having. Does a computer repairman know every issue with every computer in the area? Hell no. Location, model, maker are also factors. The iPhone 6 wasn't popular everywhere in the world. If you are going to provide data then provide us with the number of Apple iPhone 6 devices you have repaired.

Third, my post was not a generalization. I provided a link and anyone with two hands can find the hundreds of articles about the issue. Like I said earlier, it was enough of an issue that warranted a response from Apple. Enough said.

The only thing your post says is that some random phones is some random (small) place in the world has typical phones issues. It does not bear any data directly pertaining to the iPhone 6 specifically mentioned as the topic matter.

I have repaired exactly 564 iPhone 6 and my colleagues have repaired exactly 1356 iPhone 6 combined.
Read very carefully. None.of.them.were.bended.not even slightly.

Do you really think it was a problem? I don't. I know it wasn't. It was blown out of proportion by drama queens such as yourself.

Look, I get it. You have the symptom of having too little to say but you still want to come off as a know-it-all guy.

How childish are you? You are the one wanting to size the amount of mistakes you/he made. I simply pointed out that if you are going to point out someone's grammar, you should at least make sure that your post is on point grammatically or otherwise. And it was not, in my opinion, you are childish *period*

Why should I absorb anything from a post from a childish pompous person? Well maybe except that childish pompous people are just that... pompous and childish.

As for him providing actual numbers and occurrences of bent iPhone 6, statistics does matter as it can show whether the issue was blown out of proportion (by the media) or not.

Says the guy arguing semantics. Admitting you didn't even bother reading, not a wise choice.

Wait, your argument against data is that it's propaganda? LOL! Oh, I guess you should know that Apple made a statement confirming the issues. How exactly can propaganda against Apple be confirmed by Apple? That's not propaganda, it's fact.

I guess you have your tinfoil hat to the max. Don't let my facts stand in the way of your opinion.

I have repaired exactly 564 iPhone 6 and my colleagues have repaired exactly 1356 iPhone 6 combined.
Read very carefully. None.of.them.were.bended.not even slightly.

Do you really think it was a problem? I don't. I know it wasn't. It was blown out of proportion by drama queens such as yourself.

Look, I get it. You have the symptom of having too little to say but you still want to come off as a know-it-all guy.

Once again though, it doesn't really matter what you say. As I pointed out and linked to earlier, this was enough of a problem that Apple instituted a special replacement program. What, are you going to tell me your opinion overrides apple's? The only one here blowing things out of proportion is you, who refuses to look at the numerous links and Apple's own official replacement program for this very issue. I must be such a drama queen to point out what Apple themselves admitted but apparently some select crazed fans of their's won't.

Once again, it's bent. How can you claim to know about a problem when you continually conjugate the same word incorrectly?

Where did you get your "repair numbers" from. Obviously you don't remember every iPhone 6 you repair and it's impossible for you to remember phones you didn't repair (your colleagues did). Let's see a picture of your repair shop's data if it really exists. Otherwise you just plucked a random number from out of the air. Any reply without this proof just means you were blowing smoke.

As was mentioned earlier, it was a 6S... not a 6... bending issues are not relevant in this conversation....

That other guy was talking about a 6S Plus from earlier so you are wrong on that account. Second, he's not the one I'm addressing right now either so it's irrelevant. Just a heads up, the 6S plus was strengthened specifically to prevent bending. Just another admission that bending was in fact an issue with the iPhone 6. Here's a link from an Apple oriented website:

https://9to5mac.com/2015/09/24/does-the-iphone-6s-plus-bend/

That other guy was talking about a 6S Plus from earlier so you are wrong on that account. Second, he's not the one I'm addressing right now either so it's irrelevant. Just a heads up, the 6S plus was strengthened specifically to prevent bending. Just another admission that bending was in fact an issue with the iPhone 6. Here's a link from an Apple oriented website:

https://9to5mac.com/2015/09/24/does-the-iphone-6s-plus-bend/

Its an issue for samsung fanboys who always try to make iphone the worst phone. The fact that the recent samsung launch was anemic as always, apple users could care less what will happen. If this was a iphone launch, there would be at least 50 comments coming from android users like you. I only made a comment because I cant stop laughing how hard you tried to make a pitch sale by including statistics which is dumb and a mentioning bending which is really not a manufacturer's issue. I'll choose bending behind my jeans when I sit to it rather than exploding without a reason if you really care to argue what is the worst generation of flagship phones ever released.

Its an issue for samsung fanboys who always try to make iphone the worst phone. The fact that the recent samsung launch was anemic as always, apple users could care less what will happen. If this was a iphone launch, there would be at least 50 comments coming from android users like you. I only made a comment because I cant stop laughing how hard you tried to make a pitch sale by including statistics which is dumb and a mentioning bending which is really not a manufacturer's issue. I'll choose bending behind my jeans when I sit to it rather than exploding without a reason if you really care to argue what is the worst generation of flagship phones ever released.

Well first, I never said iPhone was the worst phone. The iPhone 6 was definitely better than the exploding Galaxy 7. All I did was point out bending issues the 6 had, which is most certainly a manufacturer issue.

It's obvious you are the raving fan here. I can openly admit that the Galaxy 7 was **** because I have zero stock in the company and have never owned a samsung phone in my life. You can't even admit that Apple had a bending issue that was directly their fault even though it's a widely know issue. Instead, you hyperbolize everyone else's statements and go to war with them, even when presented with fact.

Hypocrite

Well first, I never said iPhone was the worst phone. The iPhone 6 was definitely better than the exploding Galaxy 7. All I did was point out bending issues the 6 had, which is most certainly a manufacturer issue.

It's obvious you are the raving fan here. I can openly admit that the Galaxy 7 was **** because I have zero stock in the company and have never owned a samsung phone in my life. You can't even admit that Apple had a bending issue that was directly their fault even though it's a widely know issue. Instead, you hyperbolize everyone else's statements and go to war with them, even when presented with fact.

Hypocrite

Lol. I was hoping for a link mr google search. The iphone 6 was a brand new design and teh hype was real and at that time a lot of youtubers and people who seek fame tried to find a fault for that phone. Viola, they found a so called defect where you sit on it it will bend and if you bend it with your arms with force it will bend. I'll leave that to you again if thats a user's fault or you try to fault it to a manufacturer. With the iphone 6/+Apple did it again, a landslide in premium phones. Its true they reinforced it in the next generation just to make sure you narrow-minded people wont make an issue about it anymore. It really helped manufacturers to improve their design to shut their non-believers.

How the irony, you talked like you know a lot and yet you dont even own of the products you mentioned. I remember telling me in another article that I dont own a VR product and I am not allowed to talk about it. Anyway you are always like this, in the end you will ask for sympathy and try to be clean. I was hoping much more from you. Anyway im out of here, Good luck and be happy whichever phone you choose. Samsung s9 is a good choice.

Back