Samsung will reportedly remove the headphone jack and physical home button from the Galaxy S8

midian182

Staff member

It’s been a busy couple of days in the world of Galaxy S8 rumors. Yesterday brought the news that Samsung’s flagship device could come in two sizes and feature stereo speakers; today, it’s been “confirmed” that the S8 will copy the iPhone 7 and do away with the headphone jack.

SamMobile claims that Samsung will follow in the footsteps of companies such as Apple and Motorola by removing the long-used port in favor of USB Type-C. The publication doesn’t cite its sources but seems pretty convinced that this is direction the Korean firm is heading with the S8.

Removing the 3.5mm jack does have advantages when it comes to handset design; it could make the S8 even slimmer and allow more internal space for sensors and the battery, which means less chance of a Note 7-style, battery-crushing scenario. Moreover, the extra room could be used to accommodate the rumored stereo speakers.

Samsung would doubtlessly face a consumer backlash if it went ahead with the move, but the company isn’t afraid of making unpopular decisions for the sake of design, such as when it waved goodbye to removable batteries in the S6.

SamMobile also believes that the Galaxy S8 will ditch the physical home button for an optical finger recognition system inside the display. It’s a feature already found in Xiaomi’s Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus, and Apple is expected to introduce it in next year’s iPad Pros and iPhone 8. The main advantage of the system is that it allows a higher screen-to-body ratio.

We should find out which rumors turn out to be true at Barcelona’s Mobile World Congress show in February, where Samsung is expected to unveil the Galaxy S8.

Permalink to story.

I'm getting sick of Samsung as well tbh. The S7 is a pretty good phone, but they've bloated it with so much crap the experience is less than optimal. Will likely think about a Google Pixel or One Plus phone next time.

Yep I might going over to the Pixel, maybe in a year or two. Problem is, Samsung has me hooked on the options and back "physical" buttons which I use so much. I hate on-screen buttons :(

Yep I might going over to the Pixel, maybe in a year or two. Problem is, Samsung has me hooked on the options and back "physical" buttons which I use so much. I hate on-screen buttons :(

Dang, are they not as responsive as physical buttons? Never really tried on-screen yet.

I've used the new Iphone and hate the fact that the home button doesn't 'press' in. I feel like I have to press it down super hard or mash it a few times before it registers. Also I hope they keep the back and menu button, Those are the main reason I've stayed away from Iphones!

I don't really use the headphone jack on my phone. I have bluetooth headphones already that I use when I work out which is the only time I use headphones on my phone.

I mostly use the headphone jack on my laptop or desktop when I'm editing video for work or playing video games in the middle of the night. lol

Last edited:
I mean really, removing the physical button and the jack? Are they trying to make themselves completely irrelevant and indistinguishable from the cheap iphone ripoffs from china? They are just handing over their market at this point. Hopefully LG can capitalize on sammy's stupidity and capture some marketshare.
Kill the mini USB.

Needs:
-Removable battery
-USB - C
-headphone jack
-more internal memory

Lead don't follow Apple!!!
I agree with what you said, but cmon, this is samsung. Until the iphone galaxy s8 fails miserably, they wont learn.

Hopefully LG can capitalize on sammy's stupidity and capture some marketshare.

I sure as heck hope so.
I still have the LG G4 and it is not perfect, but one of the things I love about it is that it has an IR beam which allows me to use my phone as a remote!

Com'on LG this is your opportunity to shine!

Heheheh... loving all the hate on the "no headphone jack".... And everyone was telling me back a couple months ago that Samsung would never be this stupid.... well, maybe THEY aren't the ones who are being stupid.... When the 2 leading companies do something, maybe they have reasons? Maybe they might be just a bit smarter than uninformed Techspot forum members?

Nah... that's crazy talk....

Heheheh... loving all the hate on the "no headphone jack".... And everyone was telling me back a couple months ago that Samsung would never be this stupid.... well, maybe THEY aren't the ones who are being stupid.... When the 2 leading companies do something, maybe they have reasons? Maybe they might be just a bit smarter than uninformed Techspot forum members?

Nah... that's crazy talk....

Your smug attitude and high horse riding tone of writing aside, of course there's reasons why they would do this. Here is the reason for why Apple got rid of the jack and it's not "courage" but instead it's about making maximal profits from the sheeps.

youtube.com/watch?v=PmTSN4zWeQ0

Your smug attitude and high horse riding tone of writing aside, of course there's reasons why they would do this. Here is the reason for why Apple got rid of the jack and it's not "courage" but instead it's about making maximal profits from the sheeps.

youtube.com/watch?v=PmTSN4zWeQ0
Funny... the main reason the video states is that Apple owns the lightning port - so they get a % of any accessory made for it...

Samsung doesn't own USB C though.... yet they are still getting rid of the headphone jack... start thinking :)

I use my wired headphones while at my desk at work. I have a couple pair of wireless headphones, but I typically only use them at the gym and would rather not waste away their battery life when I'm just sitting. Certainly not a fan of this trend of removing the headphone jack.

You want newer things that go outside of the norm and make you want to change your phone, yet, you hate change. Lol... simply lol.

Funny... the main reason the video states is that Apple owns the lightning port - so they get a % of any accessory made for it...

Samsung doesn't own USB C though.... yet they are still getting rid of the headphone jack... start thinking :)

My post merely stated the Apple side of things. I obviously already agreed with you that there are reasons why companies do things. If it didn't benefit them, Samsung wouldn't do it either for reasons that shall be apparent in the near future.

"it could make the S8 even slimmer and allow more internal space for sensors and the battery, which means less chance of a Note 7-style, battery-crushing scenario."
Um, isn't it the slimness of the phone that caused the batteries to explode? What we need is fatter phones!
Use a curved back (like the LG G4) which fits better in the hand, still works with car mounts and has plenty of space for the internals.

LOL no thanks samsung! If you do this to the next in the Note series, you WILL lose a customer. I use my headphone jack WAY to much, and I really love having a physical home button. Sooo....

These are just rumours and even if some of less popular decisions turn out to be true, the S8 will still be a fantastic seller. Like Apple, it's just the nature of the beast.

Dang, are they not as responsive as physical buttons? Never really tried on-screen yet.

I think you may be confused about what on screen buttons are. Unless you've never used android before, you've already used on screen buttons. The 3 buttons at the bottom of your screen on android are on screen buttons.

Hopefully LG can capitalize on sammy's stupidity and capture some marketshare.

I sure as heck hope so.
I still have the LG G4 and it is not perfect, but one of the things I love about it is that it has an IR beam which allows me to use my phone as a remote!

Com'on LG this is your opportunity to shine!
Some people seem to love that feature. I had it on both my SGS4 & HTC 1 M8 and never used it. Most people probably don't, and that's the reason why it's scarce these days. I did use it once though, and that was to turn off a TV in a busy bank that repeatedly played the same commercials over and over again. The staff thought that for a while the TV had broken down because I watched them inspecting and discussing it. The IR blaster was a new feature on phones back then. So yeah, it came in handy then... and amused me.

Last edited:
Back