Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold 2 arrives September 18 for $2,000

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The original Galaxy Fold debuted at a staggering $1,980. This time around, Samsung has bumped the price slightly to $1,999.99. The new handset is much refined over the first-gen Fold but still, it remains to be seen if consumers will line up to shell out two grand for a smartphone, especially during a pandemic.

Those hoping Samsung’s latest foldable smartphone would be more affordable than its first generation device are in for a bit of disappointing news as we have learned that the Galaxy Z Fold 2 price tag is trending upward.

Samsung first revealed the Galaxy Z Fold 2 during its Unpacked event on August 5 but only teased a handful of details. Now, we’ve got the full spec sheet at our disposal.

The Galaxy Z Fold 2 features a 6.2-inch HD+ Super AMOLED cover screen (25:9, 2,260 x 816 resolution, 386 PPI) that transforms into a 7.6-inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED display (22.5:18, 2,208 x 1,768 resolution, 373 PPI) when folded out. Under the hood is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus processor mated to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of internal UFS 3.1 storage.

The back of the smartphone features a trio of 12-megapixel cameras while the front-facing cover camera is a 10-megapixel unit with an f/2.2 aperture and an 80-degree field of view. A 4,500mAh twin battery system provides “all day” battery life and of course, you’ll get Android 10 pre-installed out of the box.

Notably, there is no headphone jack or water resistance rating to speak of. What’s more, there doesn’t appear to be a microSD card slot for storage expansion. But by far, the biggest hurdle for many will be the price.

The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is scheduled to launch in roughly 40 markets including the US on September 18. Interested parties can reserve the device now with pre-orders set to open at 12:01 a.m. Easter on September 2.

Permalink to story.

yRaz

Let's see how far this takes us into foldables. I have a feeling it'll be another few generations before these work as intended but I'd be happy to be wrong. Get those down in the $600-800 range and I might be interested.

mrvco

Let's see how far this takes us into foldables. I have a feeling it'll be another few generations before these work as intended but I'd be happy to be wrong. Get those down in the $600-800 range and I might be interested.

I'm glad there are people willing to jump on the bleeding edge of foldable phone technology, but I'm perfectly content watching from the sidelines.

Eldritch

Specs of a $800 smartphone (OP 8) but with the ability to flip and make screen larger for the low price of $2,000 and virtually non-existent resale value.
Just brilliant, I am truly speechless.

Hey Apple, do what you do best and launch a brave new $4,000 flip phone to be even more premium than Samsung.

Lew Zealand

TechSpot Elite
Yes, because when people need a new phone they go and buy a video card instead!

I wonder if there is a single person out there who bought the Galaxy Fold as their only/replacement phone. I'll bet there were none.

Both are ridiculous luxury items with far more sensible alternatives. But one is actually useful and has promise of long useful life with reasonable resale value, whereas the other is an attempted followup to a failed product.