Samsung's new camera module to drastically improve low-light images

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung camera

Consumers often look at the megapixel count of a digital camera as a basis to gauge quality. Of course, those with more than a basic understanding of camera technology know this is a foolish mistake as a number of other factors play into the overall quality of photos you can expect from a camera.

As far as smartphone cameras are concerned, industry leaders have made great strides in overall quality over the years but for many, low-light conditions still present a problem – namely, graininess and blurring. To that end, Samsung has reportedly developed a new 13-megapixel camera module that will drastically improve low-light image quality while keeping power consumption under control.

Specifically, the new hardware is said to allow for low-light photos up to eight times brighter than current modules. What’s more, the internals also have optical image stabilization to help eliminate blurred images. You’d be surprised at how many photos I’ve seen that would be so much better if the camera was just held still. Even slight movement combined with a slow shutter speed can introduce a tiny bit of motion blur and wreck a picture.

The new module will go into production early next year and could find its way into successors for the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S 4, among other phones. With CES 2014 only a few months away, we might even see the new camera tech crop up in a couple of smartphones on the show floor in Las Vegas.

Permalink to story.

Of course, Samsung knows how foolish it is to factor in megapixel numbers as a measure of photo quality. That's why their new low-light camera has 13 MP instead of, say, 1.3, 3, 5, 8, or even 10 megapixels. Why didn't they just make it 5 pixels and incorporate a sensor the size of a truck into that tiny little camera? That wouldn't be foolish, would it?

Samsung has an advantage since they actually make their own technology and dont just incorporate it into their products.

Image stabilization with improved low light pics? Sounds like an HTC One!

I kid... the One is 4mp, not 13. If I remember my lesson from anandtech.com....There's a trade off with digital photography regarding the size of the sensor and the amount of light required to take a decent pic. If I remember right, the sensor has to be pretty big to capture enough light for an 8 or 13MP camera, and it's why the HTC One has a 4MP. The required big sensor will stick out of the phone, and the designers have preferred to not have a protruding lens and it's caused the good low light cameras to be fewer mega-pixels.

Long story short... let's wait to see if Samsung's new module can fit in the phone before we get all excited.

8x better. Whatever Samsung. You might as well say 100x. Know one believes anything you say anymore anyway.

Image stabilization with improved low light pics? Sounds like an HTC One!

I kid... the One is 4mp, not 13.
Hey! That sounds like the Nokia Lumia 1020!

I kid.. The 1020 is 41MP, not 13. And has reinvented zoom.

It actually sounds more like the Nokia Lumia 920, the Nokia Lumia 925, and the Nokia Lumia 928, albeit two years late.

Dont know what happen to samsung's camera, in the age of nokia their camera was one of the best in low light images... now T_T

Back