Sandbox building sensation Minecraft hits 1.0 today

Rick

Staff

Update: The final release is officially out. 

It's been a long time coming, but it is finally here. Mojang will be releasing the first, official retail version of the highly addictive Minecraft on Friday. This follows news from earlier this week that Mojang released the game for iOS as well.

Although Minecraft has not been officially released as I write this, Eurogamer got their hands on a copy of the 1.0 build and gave it a 10 out of 10 score. The review is light on details, but you can tell they really enjoyed themselves. 

As for what players can expect in the latest release of Minecraft, the list of possible changes is extensive. Which ones made it and which ones did not remains unclear, but that information will be released soon.

If you have not checked out Minecraft in awhile, the Mojang team has been very busy adding features, fixing bugs and making substantial changes and improvements to the game each month. You may want to revisit the game once again. The additions include new realms, game modes, farming, crafting and even a "end boss" dragon to give you a false sense of completion.

"Notch", the father of Minecraft, regularly updates his personal blog with information regarding the game. In his blog, Markus Persson states that Minecraft will continue to receive updates and big changes, letting players know that Mojang will not be resting on their rears after the big 1.0 release.

The last few weeks have been incredibly stressful and emotional in many ways, and I feel so relieved to finally have a finished version of Minecraft to release to the world on Friday. But that doesn’t mean we’ll stop working on Minecraft! We’ll keep adding to the game just as we have so far, and we have many exciting plans for the next year.. some of these will be announced fairly soon.

If you have been thinking about buying Minecraft and still have not yet, today may be the last day to pick it up for 25% off while the beta still lingers on minecraft.net.

Permalink to story.

MW3 or Minecraft > BF3

MW3 and Minecraft are equally awesome in their respective categories. But BF3 loses to both in all categories.

@MrDirtyMouth Guest ........

no, just no. BF3 sux period. Minecraft and MW3 are wayyy awesomer thant BF3. THeres nothing new in BF3 except graphics, the rest is shitty campaign and camping multiplayer gameplay, trolls who black airstrips with tanks because they cant fly ****, and buggy as hell.

Minecraft and MW3 ftw!

for you saying nothing is new in BF3, stop being a troll. MW3 rehashed almost all of its weapons, has an incredibly short campaign, and you can rank up solely by eating doritos and drinking mountain dew. Not even the graphics are new.

Guest said:
@MrDirtyMouth Guest ........

no, just no. BF3 sux period. Minecraft and MW3 are wayyy awesomer thant BF3. THeres nothing new in BF3 except graphics, the rest is shitty campaign and camping multiplayer gameplay, trolls who black airstrips with tanks because they cant fly ****, and buggy as hell.

Minecraft and MW3 ftw!

You mean MW2 3.0?

Anyway, all three games are good, love them all although prefer BF3 over Minecraft and MW3. That said depending on my mood Il play MC and enjoy it while playing it. MW3 get in, shoot the **** and sign off, good game nevertheless.

Game are there to have fun, not to have ***** fests online which is better. Grow the **** up.

BF3 is defiantly better than minecraft.
MC> COD + COD2 + COD 3 +COD MW +COD WAW + COD MW2 + BLACKOPS + MW3

Hmm, four trolling Guests in a row? With posting times less then 5-10 minutes of each other?

Do you think we are that gullible? Please don't feed the troll.

There is nothing new in MW3 either. It's MW2 all over again. Same graphics, same guns, same stupid players.

how about you all get a life and stop arguing about video games and play outside or something

Unfortunatly Mod support fell though the cracks on this release so the mods out there that make the game even better prevented me from playing 1.0 more than a couple of hours. i have already downgraded back to 1.8.1

lipe123 said:
Minecraft > BF3+Mw3 =P

Let's not get out of hand. Yes it is a great game indeed but I don't think it can dwarf BF3. BF3's mechanics and graphics definitely put it above minecraft. Until minecraft has great graphics and a more expansive world and options, then it can go above BF3. Now it definitely is better than MW3 with the same engine as COD 3, just different maps and guns.

I was a bit confused when minecraft suddenly said version 1.0.0. I was expecting 1.9 and launcher is still stuck at 1.8 news.

Don't try to play this solo though, its much more fun to set up a private server among friends and do some friendly trolling when the victim isn't online. "Who built mordor on my back yard?" etc.

why the are people comparing minecraft to fps games?
makes no sence...

Back