SanDisk 1TB microSD cards up for pre-order at $450

onetheycallEric

Staff
In context: The first ever 1TB microSD cards are now a thing, bringing us closer to the days of enjoying Nintendo's forward-looking promise of supporting 2TB microSD cards. While the new 1TB microSD cards can indeed store a lot of games, they will also command a big price.

The previously announced 1TB microSD cards from SanDisk are now up for pre-order for an eye watering $450. At MWC 2019, we learned that the 1TB cards were coming and even gleaned an idea about the price but didn't have an official launch date until now.

For those with the pockets deep enough, you can pre-order the SanDisk Extreme 1TB UHS-1 microSDXC card over at the SanDisk store. After it launches properly later this month, we should see the card make its way to other retail channels like Amazon and Newegg.

The SanDisk Extreme 1TB microSD UHS-I card will offer read speeds up to 90 MB/s and write speeds up to 60 MB/s. The card also meets the newer U3 specification, and more importantly, supports the speedier A2 specification for hosting and running Android apps from removable cards.

A 1TB card is appealing to those looking to record a lot of 4K video or upgrade the storage on their Nintendo Switch. However, at $450, you'd be paying more for storage than the price of the Switch itself. We wouldn't blame you, should you find the 512GB option at $200 more feasible.

Permalink to story.

Afdordability will take another 5 years or so, for the rest of us.

I feel one of the best devices to put this is in the tablet. I can store all my CD ISOs for DOS, Win9x and console CDs for emulations without hampering the main SSD.

I feel one of the best devices to put this is in the tablet. I can store all my CD ISOs for DOS, Win9x and console CDs for emulations without hampering the main SSD.

5 years from now we'll be talking aout 3 or 4 TB.

5 years from now we'll be talking aout 3 or 4 TB.

That's still not enough. My 12 TB drives are just barely big enough. I don't want to have to split up my content across drives. SSDs have a long way to go to replace HDDs. Ironically the higher density a HDD becomes, the faster it gets. I get about 250 MB/s and up to 502 MB/s burst speeds.

And here I can't fill up my 32GB phone. I have a bunch of pictures, some recorded videos and about 250 songs. I don't play games on my phone so I guess that's how most people fill up their phones.

And here I can't fill up my 32GB phone. I have a bunch of pictures, some recorded videos and about 250 songs. I don't play games on my phone so I guess that's how most people fill up their phones.

These large flash drives on phones are due to the fact most people use their smartphone to send/receive 4K video or large resolution pics.

Facebook for example caps videos to 720p which allows them to load faster at the expense of resolution. Youtube allows 4K video uploads. 4K video files are gigantic.

As far as I'm concerned, these 4K video phones need 256GB as a minimum. I have a 512GB and I think I can make a 8 hour long video travelog when I go to Thailand/ Dubai next week before I run low on space.

Someday phones will rush to 8K sensors. I see no need for it at all, but you can be sure Samsung will rush to have it before apple and Apple will follow. Then we will need 2TB and 4TB storage just to hold pics and video.

Back