SanDisk Aims High With Extreme II SSD, Reviewed

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/685-sandisk-extreme-ii-ssd/]https://www.techspot.com/review/685-sandisk-extreme-ii-ssd/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Itching for the SATA Express to hit. Sequential read/write is still important. If you are moving high def content around or databases, that's massive sequential transfers. Random 4k is nice but I don't think the storage bus is the place we should be having the bottleneck. Particularly considering RAID and TRIM support is still so poor for SSDs as well.

I don't think many people move around large files from SSD to SSD so I doubt sequential read/writes make any noticeable difference to most users. Constantly writing huge files isn't good for the life of the SSD anyway.

I'm a little disappointed SSD prices seem to have stalled lately, they seem to be the same price or slightly higher than a year ago.

Constant isn't the problem. It's not often you may need to backup 1TB+ of data but I'm pretty sure if you had the option of 2 hours or 1 hour, you'd pick 1 (of course exagerating for the point but it's all relative).

'...as modern drives have plateaued at SATA III's 6Gb/s bus'

This thing reads at a maximum of 550MBps, that's 4400Mbps, I wouldn't call 1600Mbps/200MBps off of top speed the plateau of SATA III.

The industry is in despair over the limitations created by SATA-3 and memory controllers, and no foreseeable future.

In September Apple brings a whole bunch of products - all using PCI Express SSD-s, with other manufacturers to start shipping products with Samsung PCI SSD-s before the end of the year. Those deliver 1.4GB/s. If ultrabooks start delivering this kind of performance, the market will start moving quickly. Nobody will want SATA-4, because even twice the speed of SATA-3 is already not fast enough for those SSD-s.

Great review. Too bad Apple ditched Sandisk for Samsung after just a year.

I fail to see how this is in any way bad... This is nothing but a great news, with Apple pushing the industry to use PCI SSD-s and delivering unheard-of performance in the mobile sector...

I fail to see how this is in any way bad... This is nothing but a great news, with Apple pushing the industry to use PCI SSD-s and delivering unheard-of performance in the mobile sector...

I support Sandisks efforts and to see that Apple ditched Sandisk SSDs after just 1 year for Samsungs saddens me. But yeah, it is because the PCIe solution was used.

Dumping sandforce does not mean it is not good. For a SSD manufacturer to be associated with a SSD controllers there are a lot of protocols that need to be followed & if either of the brands are not ready to sync even for a even protocol then they cannot work together. This is often misintepreted/told differently often to create a bad image for the only controller designers which is unfair. It is always best to judge a SSD from experience rather than listening only to someone else's review.

Back