SanDisk's latest Extreme Pro SD cards can hold a huge 512 GB

Scorpus

Staff member

Ever wanted an SD card that holds as much, if not more stuff than your solid state drive inside your PC? Look no further than SanDisk's new line of Extreme Pro SDXC cards: the top-of-the-line model holds a whopping 512 GB, complementing 128 GB and 256 GB variants.

Designed for 4K video recording, the Extreme Pro SDXC cards are rated for transfers of 95 MB/s, which is fast enough for consistent Ultra HD recordings from a professional or enthusiast camera. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 can record 4K at 100 Mbps, for example, which is comfortably under the rated speed of the card.

Just how much 4K content could you record or store on a 512 GB SD card with a bitrate of 100 Mbps? Around 11 hours, if our calculations are correct. That's a decent amount of high-resolution footage for that new Ultra HD television or monitor you just bought.

512 GB of SD card storage naturally isn't going to come cheap: it'll set you back $800, or around three to four times as much as a similarly-sized SSD. SanDisk hasn't revealed how much the lower capacity cards will cost, but you can expect some significant savings if you don't need all that space.

Permalink to story.

But if you want massive storage that is miles bigger then a standard HDD then you can with the 512gb SD card! Imagine the possibilities when it reaches 2 tb and you can store 25TB of data where a normal @0TB HDD is meant to be!

Re: SSD for $200. I just purchased one through amazon so they are plentiful. No doubt they are trying to recoup their R&D. Once the price point falls to the $200 range it's going to be a knock out as long as the various devices it can be used in will access that much memory. There are still a lot of devices (cameras, etc) that limit the amount of addressable memory they will use, but for laptops and especially for the various pads, it will be a Godsend! That will be the day I take a serious look at replacing my laptop with a pad!

It's too bad that CF cards are continuing to erode slowly into obscurity outside Profecssional Cameras and industrial/network appliances... There's enough physical space in one of those to easily stuff 1TB of storage at that density... *drool*

Camera cards won't work as hard drives, the read/write speeds are too slow. Even a spinning drive will do 6 Gbit/second. As you can see from the photo, this will only do 95MB/second

Sandisk's very own Extreme Pro 480GB was on sale on amazon for $260 just four days ago. It was listed here on Techspot. Granted that's actually 1/3 the price of this SD card, but it does still make the statement above accurate.

Camera cards won't work as hard drives, the read/write speeds are too slow. Even a spinning drive will do 6 Gbit/second. As you can see from the photo, this will only do 95MB/second

A spinning drive is very much not capable of a constant read or write of 6Gbits/s. That is just the sata bandwidth. This could easily replace a hard drive as long as the number of read/writes is good.

Thank you for the 2 links! Though both are above $200. I guess I'm still looking.

They go on sale sometimes - just keep an eye out. $215 is the normal price for that drive.

it'll set you back $800, or around three to four times as much as a similarly-sized SSD

$212 meets that criteria quite well. RustyTech doesn't like to admit when he's wrong.

Thank you for the 2 links! Though both are above $200. I guess I'm still looking.
800/3 = 266,67
800/4 = 200

€195,99 = $253,43
Conclusion: Well within price range of the $200 - 266,67
Other point, the price of €195,99 is a price without a discount. so most likely when there is a discount at a shop somewhere the price will drop even further.

Back