"Sandy Bridge is the biggest disappointment of the year"

That said, what am I talking about? If you try to use Sandy Bridge under Linux, it is simply broken.

Cry about it... Intel doesn't give a damn about alt OS; they shouldn't. Having said that, who is this guy?

Well of course Sandy Bridge is broken if it won't install Ubuntu over USB 3.0. I mean SHEEESH. How can we be FORCED to install Ubuntu off an antique USB 2.0 stick? 2.0? Might as well be using a 12" floppy! Or an audio tape! I'll have to take a week off work to let the damn thing install.

Cry about it... Intel doesn't give a damn about alt OS; they shouldn't. Having said that, who is this guy?

Charlie is rather well known in tech circles. he is a rabid AMD fan, and anti Nvidia. he got snubbed once by them if memory serves. ( I think DBZ recalls the story) anyway he 'breaks stories and gets a lot of inside info. Sometimes he gets it right, sometimes not so much.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll have the "bugs" worked out of Sandy, by the time I buy all the other parts for a new machine, at the best sale prices I can find. Out of respect for wuzhisname, I'll buy the CPU last. Or not.

Then I'll put the same s***, and the same s*** programs in it I always do. Oh sure, business as usual you say, why bother? Wull heck yay-ah, business as usual, but a whole bunch faster.

Charlie is (was?) actually very pro-Intel. Prior to this piece of excrement I would challenge anyone to find an article penned by him that was critical of Intel. I think the worst I've seen was some howling about Intel's incomprehensible CPU naming conventions -hardly a lone voice there. Considering the anti-trust suits and the massive payout to AMD you might have thought that an article or two might have been warranted, no?

My guess is that he's had a falling out with Intel (probably didn't get the company Christmas card this past holiday season) and is using this bs rant solely to garner some attention (read site traffic).
Charlie lives for the exposé and basks in his (self-promoted) image as investigative "journalist" (read blogger)- unfortunately since his big coup ( the nvidia eutectic solder underfill story) his supposed "exclusives" have turned out to largely incorrect (or just malicious FUD), or so far off base you'd think his "unnamed sources" are actually double agents! -assuming they aren't just a convenient vehicle to deflect possible law suits and criticism.

His last great piece of "investigative journalism" was in regard to the GTX 460:
The GF104/106/108 chip were never really meant to be what they are now, they are a desperate stopgap that simply won't work...The new dice are 3/4s of a GF100 for the GF104...that would put the GF104 at 210W...around 405mm^2
[source]
So of his four "new" facts that's four from four...wrong.
(GTX 460 obviously works, GF104 essentially a new reworked GPU, 160w at stock clocks and 368mm²)
To be fair Charlie also included what was mostly known/estimated from around the net at the time ( 256-bit bus, 384/336 shader count, 32 ROP) but extensively padded out his new revelations by taking potshots at TSMC (a favourite target) and G200 / GF100 (likewise).
Not content with being monumentally off base....On the day of the GTX 460's launch, when every tech site on the internet was showing pretty favourable reviews, Charlie "co-incidentally" stacked the entire frontpage of his site with two-year-old reprinted anti-nvidia/bumpgate articles with no mention of the GTX 460 at all (see attachment)
When quizzed about this in the forum, Charlie said (posted after the thread was closed):
Short story is that the timing and release [of the reprinted articles] was coincidence.
That's some co-incidence.
I ceased to an active forum member at SA from that point.

Charlie in his defence is not solely anti-nvidia...he's also anti-Microsoft, anti-Apple, anti-OEM's and views every mainstream tech site (including TS) as a bought and paid for shill of the aforementioned companys.

In short, Google categorizes SemiAccurate as satire with good reason. There used to be many interesting and knowedgeable people on the forum there (and maybe still are), unfortunately Charlie's cult of personality and propaganda make the site all but unreadable for many.

@red1776
If the non-support of a Linux distro that was released before Sandy Bridge is disappointment of the year ( three days in!) then the rest of the year is looking very rosy.

Attachments

• sa front page.JPG
    sa front page.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 6
His most recent oops (other than Sandy being a bust) was when he proclaimed that the Cayman was going to blow the GF 110( particularly the GTX 580 out of the water.
He at times goes into really great detail explaining the technicalities of GPU/CPU architecture, only to screw it up with his bias and hatred...I don't get it.

Clearly, Linux is useless.

Red & DBZ said:
@red1776
If the non-support of a Linux distro that was released before Sandy Bridge is disappointment of the year ( three days in!) then the rest of the year is looking very rosy.

Taken from the link above:

aussiebear @ SA said:
Folks, please don't fall for an "opinion engineering" article and get roiled up in another pointless Linux vs Windows flame fest.

Support for Sandy Bridge (at this time) requires:
* Linux 2.6.37 kernel
* Mesa 7.10
* xf86-video-intel 2.14 driver

For "out-of-the-box" support, you will have to wait for:
* Ubuntu 11.04
* Fedora 15
etc.

So its not that bad really, given that the timing should be about right for those that use Linux to take advantage of it.

Not withstanding the fact it could be used now, if you were prepared to do some updating.

Sensationalism and controversy sells.

The nvidia thing stems from his time at The Enquirer. According to Charlie (as far as I recall) nvidia issued a list of strict do's-and-dont's (either in the press kit/briefing or via other contact) , basically an edict (as opposed to review guidelines) regarding how a review of the card/s is supposed to be conducted. Charlie was so affronted by this apparent shackling of his independence that he's been on the warpath ever since.
The other side of the story is that Charlie broke NDA, and consequently The Enquirer got blacklisted from nvidia reviews.
How much is true, if any, is debateable.

Why he's been basically part of Intel's PR machine is somewhat less clear, as is this hatchet-job of an article -unless Intel have managed to irk him in some way (or are moving ahead with a joint venture with nvidia!).
The forum/fanbase is outspoken in it's unequivocal support of Linux, AMD and ATI. Up until now Charlie has supported two of the three -contrary to popular belief, he has never really flown AMD's flag (probably because of the Intel connection...whatever that is) and has written some quite scathing articles regarding AMD's CPU business in the past. My guess is that Charlie has made a concious decision to jump ship to AMD because either he views AMD to be in the ascendancy, or to appease and consolidate the forum -there were very few members there when I was active-but what members they have post large numbers of comments. A third supposition could well be the obvious one- controvery for controvery's sake- increased site traffic, even if means attracting trolls to the front page comments, and perplexed passers-by. Note the site traffic for SA - the hype they generated over Cayman has lifted their profile a little....but now thats over and done with how do you keep the page clicks rolling in if you're a tech site that can't do unbiased reviews and whose forum doesn't offer any kind of enthusiast outlet, overclocking/build/upgrade advice, or any Malware/virus help ?

We've had some of Charlie's fans / followers / trolls here in the past. Any of their posting could only be described as provocative. (Trolling predicated on the premise that, well, charlie says") ! Mercifully, they never stayed very long. Presumably, it was a quick stop, then off to spread the news and joy of "the second coming", to tech sites everywhere.

TS gets off relatively lightly. High traffic gaming/graphics enthusiast sites like Guru3D, [H], TechPowerUp, OCUK and Xtremesystems get carpet bombed by these disciples when an nvidia card launch is imminent.
Oddly enough these disciples usually cite their reasoning as balancing out the propaganda. Rather a strange stance when their "home planet" is a site that selectively censors and deletes posts and rewrites/edits old stories to avoid embarrassment (the GTX 580 is vaporware, whereas you'll definitely be able to buy a Cayman from the 14th November to 1 Dec. timeframe I think was the latest older article to get the "Demerjian Makeover").

A number of members have since left/fled the forum there. When broached about the hypocrisy of (as example) chastising us for criticising AMD's forums back in Sept/Oct 2009 for their lack of response to the GSoD problems that I and a few others were experiencing problems with* while they simultaneously (and repeatedly) ripped nvidia over their evasiveness in answering questions of GTX 260/285 availability and Fermi's lateness to market- we were told basically -in what could be termed "a frank exchange of views" that it's Charlies' site and he can do as he pleases- don't like it? then leave. (paraphrased and cleaned up for general consumption)
Hard to argue with that logic, and a simple decision to reach

*AMD responded three months later when the mainstream tech media picked up on the story. Prior to that AMD were telling affected users that they were basically stupid and didn't possess the mental acuity required to install or update a driver, or to RMA cards back to the AIB -that were then returned (in many cases) in exactly the same state citing that no problem existed. AMD Game Forums are littered with threads that went unanswered by admin/moderators/techs or were seemingly answered by bots.

Then there's Valve's take on SB...

"Sandy Bridge is awesome," Newell said on stage. "We've been using it for a couple of months. Sandy Bridge really does give us the great features and performance that we need to develop great customer experiences for gamers. Sandy Bridge cannot only run today's games, but even the next generation of games. It's a real game changer for us. This allows for a console like experience on the PC."

i'm a loyal fan of valve software but regardless i'm more likely to follow the words of an actual software developer (who has an amazing track record on PC) over some supposed tech guru w/ his own blog or whatever.

@EXCellR8
Wise decision.
And "supposed tech guru w/his own blog or something" is a pretty accurate description.

My guess is that he's had a falling out with Intel (probably didn't get the company Christmas card this past holiday season) and is using this bs rant solely to garner some attention (read site traffic).
Charlie lives for the exposé and basks in his (self-promoted) image as investigative "journalist" (read blogger)- unfortunately since his big coup ( the nvidia eutectic solder underfill story) his supposed "exclusives" have turned out to largely incorrect (or just malicious FUD), or so far off base you'd think his "unnamed sources" are actually double agents! -assuming they aren't just a convenient vehicle to deflect possible law suits and criticism.

I hate Karma systems, but if Techspot had one I'd so thumbs up/vote up this post. It is people like Charlie to which why actual journalists (ie being paid peanuts and beer for filling up column space) just "love" bloggers and "citizen journalists".

Also, I decided to open that page up, the comments make my head hurt. x_x;

Back