SATA and IDE together

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadownjoo

Im using 2 idea hard drives and i have a sata hard i want to add, but when i connect all 3 the sata is not recognized. is there anything i need to do to the bios? or drivers to download?

You may need to check your system Bios Settings for Sata enable
To access System Bios Settings, when you first turn on the computer you should see a key to press like DEL or F2 or some other Funtion key
Go into System Bios Settings and run Setup Defaults (and then check anywhere for Sata Enable)
Then press F10 key (to save and Exit System Bios Settings)

If that doesn't work, then you may just have a faulty Sata cable, or even power connector to it, or (god forbid) the drive has failed

If you reply back, please let us know the make and model of your computer (Dell something? HP something?)
And if the above fixed it

nop

my computer is custom 750i sli mobo, blah blah, its not the power cable cause its spinning..and the other cable is new..it came with the mobo and i never used it..it didnt detect it when it was the only one either. And sata is enabled in bios..theres a setting for RAID that will allow me to enable and disable sata 1,2,3,4 ..is that anything?

Change SATA to slave
Impossible, SATA doesn't have a master slave relationship, even if IDE is present.

You'll have to check the BIOS to make sure you have SATA enabled, and not RAID. SATA 1,2,3,4 is just the connection number, you can set any one of those to be the boot drive in the bios.

Does the drive show up in Device Manager?

If your computer is real old and you are running XP you may need to install your sata controller drivers.

You may need to >> Initialize the disk in Disk Management

Also see: Preparing to use a new hard disk
Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button
4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg
, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.*
18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b.jpg
Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

You'll probably have to format the hard disk before you can use it. For instructions, see Formatting disks and drives: frequently asked questions. Follow these same instructions to format an old hard disk that contains data you want to erase.

Also see: Managing hard disks: recommended links

computer froze at start up with the hd plugged in,, i loaded safe mode and the hd was not in device manager or disk management..think its busted huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back