SATA Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Primary drive recently crashed, and wanting to use my new SATA drive to load XP, it would not load though it is picked up in my BIOS setings as SATA 1, and my DVD and CD drives as alternatively Primary Slave and Secondary Slave. I am unable to designate the SATA as Primary.

1) How will I designate it as my Primary Drive?

Any other advice (as I am technically (PC wise) challenged) will be appreciated.

Thank you all

What is the error that you get when you try to load XP on the SATA drive?

There is no need to make it a primary drive, if the SATA disk is the only hard disk on the PC.

Check the boot order in the BIOS. The DVD or CD drive from which you wish to install XP should be first, then your sata drive as second. If you have another HDD connected, then disconnect it when you install XP.

Welcome to a limitation of XP everyone ignores. XP won't recognise your sata drive unless you make your bios pretend the drive is IDE OR you provide a 3rd party driver for it during the install.

For simplicity, I'd say make your bios emulate IDE for it.

In reality though, you can force an old OS to run with old technology only for so long. I've learned this through 11 years of dealing with PCs and about 18 years of dealing with Macs. Don't fight progress, you'll lose every time.

Thanks everyone

Thank you to everyone that replied. I will go and apply this and let you know how it works out...or I am going to jump on the bloody thing and go buy a new one;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back