SATA PCI card boot issue - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to install a PCI SATA card into an older computer and running into problems....

The PC has an Asus A7V266-E mobo, which has no onboard SATA (I believe it was made before SATA became the standard). It has two IDE HD's, and one IDE DVD-RW drive. Primary Slave IDE is empty.

I'm trying to add a Samsung DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe drive to the system. Didn't realize it was SATA until it came, so I bought a PCI card to fix that problem.

However, when I connect the DVD drive to the SATA card, it is recognized in the new SATA card's boot screen, but the computer will no longer boot. It says something about a non-system disk and to insert a different disk and press enter. I assume this is because it's trying to boot the OS from the SATA drive.

Without the drive connected (but with the card installed), the PC boots XP fine, and it recognizes the card (as a RAID controller... but whatever).

any idea how to get the computer to boot from the IDE HD with the SATA DVD drive connected??? The mobo bios boot order is "floppy, IDE HD, cd-rom" and doesn't list anything about SATA or the drive connected to it....

Do I need to buy a SATA HD to boot from now?

Specs for the PCI card:
PCI Serial ATA RAID Host Controller Card

Ports: 2 x SATA 1.5 Gbps
RAID Modes Supported: 0, 1
Interface: PCI 2.2
Chipset: Silicon Image 3512
Compliant with Serial ATA Specification Revision 1.0
Compliant with PCI IDE Controller Specification Revision 1.0
Independent 256-byte FIFOs per Serial ATA channel for host reads and writes
RoHS Compliant
System Requirements
MS Windows 98SE / Me / 2000 / XP / Server 2003 / XP 64-bit / Vista