Save the box: Alcatel OneTouch Idol 4S packaging to double as VR headset

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you're like me, the box that your new smartphone comes in immediately gets stored in the closet until it's time to sell it and buy a replacement. With Alcatel's latest smartphone, you may want to keep the retail box nearby as it doubles as a virtual reality viewer a la Google Cardboard.

VentureBeat says the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 4S will ship in a hard plastic box that can serve as a VR viewer. As such, it'll have a slot for the phone to slide into, a pair of eyepieces on the inside and a button on the side to interact with the device. While not nearly as high-tech as something like an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, Alcatel's innovation alone certainly gets a nod.

The OneTouch Idol 4S, meanwhile, is best described as a mid-range Android smartphone. It packs a 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED display that's powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 652 SoC alongside 3GB of RAM and 16GB of local storage (expandable via microSD card slot). There's also a 16-megapixel rear-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture lens and a flash-assisted 8-megapixel selfie camera up front.

The publication says Alcatel is planning to price the OneTouch Idol 4S at under $400 when it hits retail stores in May. While not mentioned specifically, it's almost a given that we'll see the Idol 4S and the rest of Alcatel's refreshed lineup at Mobile World Congress later this month.

Permalink to story.

That's actually brilliant. This would be a great way to get more people aware of VR potential in general and hopefully it'll catch on.

"If you're like me, the box that your new smartphone comes in immediately gets stored in the closet".
I use the box my device came in as a cheap case. I just punch some holes in it so I can hear whats going on. XD. Waste not, want not. :D

Back