Scalpers are struggling to sell PlayStation 5 consoles as supplies return to normal

midian182

Staff member
LOL: During the height of the chip crisis and pandemic, it wasn't just graphics cards that scalpers were snapping up and selling for obscene amounts; PlayStation 5 consoles were almost impossible to find without spending a fortune on sites like eBay. Now, however, with supplies of Sony's machines having improved enormously, scalpers are being forced to cut prices, with some listings under MSRP.

Getting a PlayStation 5 for its suggested retail price was a near impossibility in 2020 and 2021. Scalpers and scalping companies unapologetically bought the consoles in their thousands to sell at massively marked-up prices. Retailers tried some innovative and sometimes effective ways to stop the practice, but it made little difference in the long run. Some scalpers even defended their actions, asking people to think of the youngsters making a good living by ripping off others.

The PS5 scalping continued into early 2021, but things improved near the end of the year. The start of 2023 saw Sony announce that buying its latest console should be a lot easier, thanks to the increased supply.

One just has to look at eBay to see that the days when a PlayStation 5 could cost upward of $1,500 are long gone. Most of the new models are between $450 and $499, while many auctions start at just $380. Second-hand machines are even cheaper.

As reported by TheGamer, Redditors who pointed out the death of PS5 scalping are showing about as much sympathy as expected. The most upvoted comment on the thread, titled 'Don't even feel a little bit bad for them,' reads, "I hope he has to go down like $230 for people to buy. Would be hilarious."

As bad as it is now, things could get even worse for PS5 scalpers over the coming months as people wait to see if reports of Sony launching a PS5 Pro next year prove accurate. The updated model is said to focus on better ray tracing abilities and come with the usual improvements to visual fidelity and general performance expected in a PlayStation Pro.

Permalink to story.

It seems that scalpers and virtual currency miners will have a lot of fun this year.
During pandemic they wanted all the fun for themselves and did not care of anybody else, now they got it.
And everybody else is enjoying it, except Nvidia and AMD :p

The demand for PS5 isn't high as I thought it would be before it's release as the console simply doesn't have many new or interesting titles, it's either remasters or 900-billionth iteration of FIFA or COD. I actually want to play a few PS exclusive titles but I'm waiting for a good deal as I'm not in a hurry.

My biggest gripe (get it?) with the PS5 is the controllers. Takes more time to charge and depletes faster.

They now released an elite DualSense, and guess what: it depletes even faster. GG.

The demand for PS5 isn't high as I thought it would be before it's release as the console simply doesn't have many new or interesting titles...
are you, like, sure?
PS5 Sets New Sales Record in February 2023
PS5 driving US console market gains, breaks new PlayStation monthly sales record
PS5 Sales Continue to Break Records

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9113...w-playstation-monthly-sales-record/index.html

It seems it is fastest selling PlayStation at the moment. And there are plenty interesting titles, new expansion to Horizon is just a cherry on the top.

People get too greedy....

If you were GOING to scalp these things (or gpu's) you keep your stock lean and get out as soon as you are having more coming in than you're selling or your only selling close to msrp.

Also dumb to keep stock you cant move during the return period....if you don't sell just return.

Move the last couple at whatever profit you can get and be done with it.... Scalping dried up here in my state around summer 2022 anyone still holding stock after that point was just asking for this... Again though they likley acquired them long before hence the whole only keep stock you can still return.

Done like this they wouldn't be where they are...
But again who cares they asked for it being greedy.

It seems that scalpers and virtual currency miners will have a lot of fun this year.
During pandemic they wanted all the fun for themselves and did not care of anybody else, now they got it.
Yeah, I was patiently waiting for the PS5 to be in stock. The day I saw them on display in a gamespot, I let a sigh of relief knowing that this day was coming.

They wont lose much though. Yes, the time they spent buying these they wont return. But I am guessing lowering it 50 bucks each would help them sell these easily.
They wont lose much, and the damage is done already.

Time for Scalpers to Reap the Whirlwind! The Karma Bus is running them over.

They wont lose much though. Yes, the time they spent buying these they wont return. But I am guessing lowering it 50 bucks each would help them sell these easily.
They wont lose much, and the damage is done already.
I was thinking the same. Assuming they got it at MSRP, it is not difficult to sell them. Unless it is like the RTX 4080 where I feel many scalpers may have burned themselves, in most cases, they stand to gain more than lose. Thus the practice is quite prevalent.

Do we have statistics on how much these scalpers managed to sell while scarcity was real?
I mean, you can list them for $1900, but selling them is a different thing, no?

Do we have statistics on how much these scalpers managed to sell while scarcity was real?
I mean, you can list them for $1900, but selling them is a different thing, no?

We sold tens of thousands. Part of this was also the fault of retailers who didn’t set quantity limits until well into 2022. I know of Targets in the Midwest that would let guys single-handedly walk out with 20-30 at a time.

No one was selling for $1900. Only small time resellers used eBay. Most of the money went to bulk cashouts who would then send the majority of South America and Asia. I sold about 200 over a two year period and was able to cover much of my kids college costs

Don't be upset about this guys; they were just "guaranteeing supply".

This is sarcasm, if that wasn't clear.

Back