Screen resolution will not save

dhasdell

I've inherited an elderly PC running Windows 2000. It boots with the screen in very coarse resolution, but I can use display properties to reset it to 1024x768, 24 colour. In fact it doesn't even need altering, as it shows 1024x768 already and no adjustment is needed.However on shut down it loses the new resolution, and boots again next time using the old.

Any ideas, please? I can connect to the internet if it is a matter of downloading drivers.

Thanks

You need to download and install the driver for that graphics chipe.

You have told us nothing about the computer. We cannot help you much until you tell us brand and model of computer, or of graphics card until we have that info. It is also possible that the graphics card or chip has failed, and that card will need to be replaced.

Thank you. I'll set it up again and see what I can discover. System/Device Manager is where I look, right?

OK. Well, it's a Hewlett Packard Vectra, and according to the system properties, it's a x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 running Windoes 2000 with Service Pack 4. There is a Intel 82815 Graphics Controller, but I can't see any separate graphics card. Is this what we need to know (can't find a question mark either!)

Sounds as if you have that part. According to my notes, Microsoft and HP both issued statements remanding Service Pack 4, and suggested users go back to the improved Service Pack 3. Apparently there were system errors with SP4... so you might want to check the HP website on that.

According to my notes, Microsoft and HP both issued statements remanding Service Pack 4, and suggested users go back to the improved Service Pack 3. Apparently there were system errors with SP4

Uhhhhh.. when and where are your notes from? W2K SP4 came out in 2003!

Back