Seagate adds a 2.5-inch SATA drive to its FireCuda gaming SSD lineup

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Seagate's FireCuda series of gaming SSDs have previously included the high-performance M.2 PCIe NVMe-based 520 and 510 models, which are now joined by a modest SATA III 6 Gb/s sibling in the shape of the new 2.5-inch FireCuda 120 SSD.

Unlike the PCIe 4.0-based FireCuda 520, the new 120 series isn't going for blistering fast speeds, but it's 560MB/s reads and 540MB/s writes reach the limit of what SATA III can offer and should be perfectly adequate for playing games and breathing new life into decades-old PCs and laptops.

The drive is also the most capacious in Seagate's FireCuda series, with the 4TB variant offering twice the storage of the 2TB 520 and 510 models, making it ideal for setting up a game library and storing other content.

In terms of endurance, Seagate specifies up to 5,600 TBW for the 4TB model, 2,800 TBW for 2TB, 1,400 TBW for 1TB and 700 TBW for the 500 GB model. The MTBF rating, meanwhile, is set at 1.8 million hours across all models. Like its siblings, Seagate is also offering a five-year warranty on this drive, with prices reportedly starting at $105 (500GB), $200 (1TB), $388 (2TB), and $650 for the 4TB version.

The cost, however, does put this drive in a tough position against rivals like the Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial's rather excellent MX500, both of which are cheaper in lower capacity models. And while Crucial doesn't have a 4TB drive at the moment, Samsung's 4TB 860 EVO currently ties it with Seagate's 4TB offering.

Permalink to story.

The pricing is a joke. You can buy 2TB M.2 drive that's 6 times faster, for $279, and Seagate wants $388 for a drive that's 6 times slower? LOL.

Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280

At least all these drives are TLC-based, rather than QLC, but I guess that's reflected in the prices.
Not so much; that Sabrent drive is also TLC, while offering x10 better value.

Last edited:
Ya NVME SSD vs Sata SSD's get weird in pricing once you get to the big models.

And depending on the use case of the Drive like say storing games, Sata SSD is fine when more storage space is wanted over out right speed.

That is how my build is setup

I'm using a Corsair MP600 1TB drive for OS+ apps

Then Samsung 860 Evo's 1TB x2 in Raid 0 for games storage.

I'd wait to see what the prices are like in stores, before worrying about the Seagate ones - for example, Sabrent themselves want $600 for the 2TB Rocket, whereas this review (picked at random) states the price is $400.
For one thing, Sabrent simply hasn't updated their online prices in over a year, because they now solely trade through partners these days, like Amazon. And for another, you provide an article link to a different new-gen 4 drive, that's kind of irrelevant to what I posted earlier.

For one thing, Sabrent simply hasn't updated their online prices in over a year, because they now solely trade through partners these days, like Amazon. And for another, you provide an article link to a different new-gen 4 drive, that's kind of irrelevant to what I posted earlier.
Apologies for the mistake. The price in a correct review is indeed the same as that Amazon one. Your remark about Sabrent not updating their own price reflects the point I’m making, in that initial pricing doesn’t always transfer into store prices.

Anyway, the price for the Seagate isn’t great, but SATA SSDs vary quite a bit. I’ve seen the Samsung 860 Evo vary by as much as £50 for a 2TB model.

Back