Seagate SSHD (ST2000DX001) is too slow

Please I need your help
I have Seagate SSHD hard disk model: ST2000DX001.

it is working fine,but I can't use any software from Seagate website,the software are:

-Sea tools for windows:when I use the software,the software doesn't see my hard disk it can only see (Generic USB SD READER)

-download finder software:again doesn't recognize the hard disk

-Seagate/Maxtor serial number locator,again doesn't see my hard disk

-Drive detect utility<again doesn't see my hard disk.

When I go to (device manager>disk drive section) I can see ST2000DX001-1CM164 SCSI disk device

I already installed windows OS,with all the windows updates,internet security,softwares

-Please can I use (disk defragmentation) software,with this hard disk.
The softwares I have for degragmentation:
-iolo system mechanics
-Glarys utilities
-Ashampoo win optimizer

I use the defragmentation software one at a times.(please reply to this question as well)

another thing:

this hard drive is too slow like I have normal HDD,it should be a lot faster than the normal HDD.

When I turn the pc on it took 1 minute,40 seconds to fully load to desktop,but it took seconds when it turned off.

I watched a lot of clips in (you tube) about this SSHD ,I am not saying is bad,but it should be faster.

I wrote one month ago to seagate technical support(they don't bother to reply to my email),what kind of technical support it that?

I have SATAII connection,do you think shall I buy SATAIII card(internal),or upgrade the memory from 4GB to 8GB(maximum the motherboard allow me)

I hope to hear from you very soon

My kindest regards
habib

habib,

What kind of PC is this you have installed the sshd into? make/model or if it's a custom system please give us the specs.
What version of windows are you running on this PC?

I personally wouldn't worry about running the software that came with the drive, sometimes utilities from the manufacturers can be worthless or do more harm than good.

Again, personally, I would NOT run any of those programs you say are for "defragmentation" None of those programs are designed for defragmentation, they are 3rd party utilities that are just going to needlessly scan your hard drive for crap that may or may not be there - they are unnecessary and I would not recommend running them. Not only are they not for designed for defragmentation, they are redundant, they all three supposedly do the same damn thing. Point being, don't install them, don't run them - that just my two cents, someone else may tell you differently, take it with a grain of salt.

read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation so that you know what defragmentation is and have a better understanding of how it truly works.

Should you get a SATA3 card?! Probably not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
SATA3 supports 600MB/s read/write speeds @ 6Gb/s.
SATA2 supports 300MB/s read/write speeds @ 3Gb/s.
That being stated, that is the theoretical limit of each type of connection. In a perfect world, with perfect conditions, you MIGHT get those kind of speeds. Not only that, but mechanical hard drives are NOT going to get even remotely close to the theoretical speeds of SATA2. The hard drive you have the average read/write speeds are: 156MB/s which is waaay lower than SATA2 and super lower than SATA3 specs. (see attached .pdf spec sheet, I have highlighted specs on your drive) A SSD (solid state drive) would come closer to the SATA3 specs for read/write speeds, for example the Samsung 840 EVO SSD has average read write speeds over 500MB/s.

So is this drive that much faster than your old drive? Not really, it has an 8GB nand flash memory cache onboard, which can improve speeds slightly, once windows has booted. The hard drive itself is smart enough to determine what files need to be placed into that cache, but it's still not going to make a big difference in the overall performance of the drive.

I hope my comments have helped. if you have further questions please post back. Take care!

Attachments

• desktop-sshd-data-sheet-ds1788-2-1308us.pdf
    337.8 KB · Views: 5
Dear ITLogicSystems

Thank you for your quick reply I received from you,I appreciated too much.

those are the details of my pc:

packard bell(ipower 8088)
intel quad core 2.40GHZ
windows7,sp1,64 bit
4GB memory DDR2

the motherboard: PB vegas2,asus p5n-e sli(old motherboard)

the SSHD runs a lot better with SATA3 connection,I have only sata2.

I had a look in the motherboard,I have:
1pci 1X
pci16 1

I don't have sata3 connection in the motherboard,I had a look for so many clips in you tube,(how to install the pci-e sata3 card,they recommend to buy(pci-e sata3 card) to install it in the motherboard by using pci slot,and
(connect cable from the SSHD to the pci-e sata3 card to get the full power of the SSHD(6Gbps speed)

please do you think to upgrade the memory to 8GB or buy the sata3 card to get the full power of the SSHD

you told me I should not probably get sata3,shall I upgrade the memory to 8GB DDR2.?

to be honest I can not afford the SSD drive it is too expensive,

please how can I make the SSHD run faster,if the sata3 will not make any different

I hope to hear from you very soon as you always did.

My kindest regards
habib

Habib,

You can never have too much ram in my opinion. If you can afford it, get it.

You seem really concerned about this SATA3 connection. If you have the money & want to get the SATA3 pci3 1x card, go ahead, hook the sshd into the sata3 card, but if you see any performance gain in will be minimal at best. As I attached in the previous post, the average read/write speeds of that hard drive are below sata2 specs, putting it onto a sata3 card is not going to magically make it faster. Basically, what I am saying is that that a mechanical hard drive (with platters, read/write heads, etc.) isn't going to be blazing fast like a SSD is, it's just the nature of the beast.

Upgrade your ram to 8GB, save your money for a SSD and don't waste the money on a SATA3 card yet. Once you get the money for a SSD, get a SATA3 card for it - THEN you will see a significant speed increase in your system.

Basically, what I am saying is that that a mechanical hard drive (with platters, read/write heads, etc.) isn't going to be blazing fast like a SSD is, it's just the nature of the beast.

Upgrade your ram to 8GB, save your money for a SSD and don't waste the money on a SATA3 card yet. Once you get the money for a SSD, get a SATA3 card
Agreed!!

I doubt an SSHD would see much improvement with SATA3. At least not yet anyway.

Using CCleaner and disabling startup applications could free up system performance. It really depends on the application as to how much performance is freed up. Using a non-efficient AV can slow a PC down as well. I've noticed installing network drivers will slow PC boot/logoff times. I can only speculate how slow the PC might get, if there is network issues involved. And as bad as I hate to say it the drive itself could be having issues.

Dear cliffordcooley and all

thank you again for all your reply,you all have been so helpful to me.

I went crucial.com/uk website,and scanned my desktop to compatible memory,if I want to upgrade to 8GB memory it will cost me £110.00,but the sata3 card cost me £25.00.

no way now I can buy SSD,it is still too expensive for me.

I will use CCleaner and disable some startup program.

no ,I don't think there is an issue with the drive,when I turn it off it took 10 seconds,to turn it on it took 1 minute.

to be honest it is a lot faster than the normal HDD,I had before.

yesterday I was playing (call of duty modern warfare3),there was no laging in the game,it was so smooth)

now I changed my mind about sata3 controller,because all of you told it will not have any improvement in speed for SSHD (thank you all).

please what do you think shall I do?

my kindest regards
habs2habs

Dear ITLogicSystems,and all of you

thank you for every help I am receiving from you all.

I will take your advice and not buying sata3 controller.you are 100% right.

please,as you know I have old motherboard,which doesn't have Sata3 connection.

Later when I want to buy SSD,will sata3 card,works with my old motherboard,if yes,

which pci slot shall I fit it in,example: pci 1,pci 16 so on

thank you so much again

have a very nice week all

my kindest regards
habib

Back