Seagate unwraps Momentus XT HDD, SSD hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Confirming last week's speculation, Seagate has unveiled a hybrid mechanical and solid-state drive, uniting the best of both realms: speed and affordability. The 2.5-inch Momentus XT is available in 250GB, 320GB and 500GB capacities, and has 4GB of SLC NAND flash memory onboard. The drive features what Seagate calls "Adaptive Memory," which automatically moves frequently accessed data to the flash memory, thus allowing the Momentus XT to outpace standard platter drives.

Although Seagate's new drive isn't quite as fast as most SSDs, it's unfair to expect such performance. Rather than see the Momentus XT as a slow SSD, it makes more sense to view it as a fast HDD – and fast it is. In AnandTech's testing, the drive performed like a quieter, less power-hungry VelociRaptor (Western Digital's 10,000RPM units). Momentus XT drives are up for preorder via Amazon for $107, $115, and $137 – a bit more than mechanical notebook drives sans flash.

Photo via CNET.

Permalink to story.

Sounds pretty good and more reasonable. I would like to see more offerings in this area with larger capacities all around.

Woudn't mind getting a 250gb one for my desktop as an OS drive.
Wonder how long it will be before we see 3,5 inch ones.

This could be really good for my laptop. But like always i don't have the money to buy new things. (just bought an used Hp Pavillion dv6500 ^_^ )

As a laptop drive, the capacities are acceptable but they still fill a niche between SSD and HDD. Can't see how any definition of game changing would fit. Still - it's a good option for laptop owners who can't afford a SSD and want better performance that 5400RPM drives (which are abysmal for business!).

I am interested to see the difference between this and a regular drive when playing games such as crysis, are load times really reduced? are we able to get any benches Techspot or any links to some dividebyzero?

I've been looking for a SSD for a media center computer for low noise and heat, but even though I see good deals, I just never bought one. This seems like a great alternative. Sure its not a SSD,but it would provide speed for the OS and media programs, and then a good deal of storage for media, or a DVR program.

It can be brilliant solution for desktop/notebooks as primary hard drive (i.e. for OS/Software) considering its value for money, it would be a great buy.

I may just consider replacing my not so old WD Caviar drive sooner ......hmmm ;)

Great idea. Depends how well it does its job of moving frequently used data onto the solid state part of the disk for fast access. I'm guess many people looking at a lower price point might buy this rather than buying a small SSD and manually moving data on and off of it all the time.

hi there you are right if this technolgy is vrealy as great as claimed too be netbooks notbooks gaming laptops and diffently the next generation gaming consoles like hard core gamers realy want fast and low cost consoles be perfect for xbox 720 and ps4 oh by the way on disovery channel saying the worlds fastest eltric enginge spins at a whopping 150,000 rpm soo that can mean a 150,000 rpm hybride hard drive can be just few years away get 3 150,000 rpm hdd hybride in raid 3 450,000 rpm's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back