Seatools hangs in long test

Status
Not open for further replies.

jives11

Hi,
I'm struggling with a problem. have a home built PC using an ASrock 775Dual VSTA mobo. Been working fine, installed XP which is upgraded to SP3. I installed the latest VIA and BIOS patches from the ASrock site and am up to date. I have 3 IDE drives and a DVD combo drive. It's been working fine for 3 years My son has filled up the disks so thought I'd add a 4th SATA disk ?

Fitted a maxtor TM3250310AS 250Gb drive using one of the 2 free sata sockets.

in the BIOS I set this to be no RAID.

BIOS can see all the disks fine, including the SATA disk.

However if I run the latest seatools for DOS (from the UBCD) is the latest version, it passes the short test but hangs the long test. the Long test sits at 0% complete forever and the LBA counter goes through 3-4 iterations then hangs. I'm not clear if this is expected, I'd guess not

under XP, the formatting of the drive failed.

I returned the disk and got a replacement. Same thing happened, so replaced again, same thing. So I doub't it's the disk.

The last disk was formatted in the shop, and XP can see the disk, but if I do anything with it, I get VIA error messages in the system event log and long pauses where the PC is unresponsive.

i read that you have to reduce the SATA to SATA1 with jumpers for the VIA VT8237 chipset, which the mobo uses. tried that , no difference.

I have googled this extensively and have not found a problem like this. Either nothing works (drive unseen) or it's fine. Mine almost works. While I think I have to use the VIA driver, I'm not running RAID, and I have RAID disabled in the BIOS.

if I run Seatools for Windows almost all tests are listed as "unavailable" and generic tests all fail.

Well, neither the Maxtor nor the ASrock are known for reliability or long life... but maybe you have a defect on your WXP install disk...
These problems are maddenly difficult to track down. Good luck.

Thanks Raybay - well I though I had the answer - I had the jumper on the wrong pins, but it was a false hope and it seems to make no difference.

I'm thinking about just swapping one of the existing IDE drives for a bigger one at the moment and forgetting SATA. If the MOBO only supports SATA1 anyway, then the performance boost I was hoping for might be a bit of a non-starter anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back