Secondary hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemfedup2

hi all
my c drive is maxed out and would like to install secondary hard drive.

i have another hdd in another computer that i can use but has os on it.

i know to set it for slave but if i put it in and reboot will it start up correctly
so that i then can go to device management and reformat.

also do i need to partition it or just format? not trying to dual boot i just need
more space.

after sec, hdd is setup how do i move stuff from primary to slave? or will i need to
even do so?

Can you format the 2ndary hd, in the pc its currently in ?

Once you do, and it is a "fresh" Hd, after installing it, it *SHOULD* show up in "my computer" as a seperate drive.You should be able to drag and drop any files over to the secondary drive.

very sorry for muliple post of almost same question browser hung up and didnt thinl it made it through.

installed fine and since it had os on it i just reformatted . correct? no need to partition?

on drag and drop files does it matter wich ones?

what about major programs like ms office or something?

No need for partitions that I am aware of.

As far drag and drop I meant for personal files and such. As far as the programs themselves and THEIR files included in those folders, I personally don't like just copying the folder, I prefer a fresh install.

Some programs wont work regardless if you just copy the folders.

no program will work if u just dag and drop, but all pics., downloads, and things like that will. to move a program u will have to reinstall it.

Ive seen plenty of old programs that do work if you drag and drop, you just have to redo all the shortcutting and a lot of other stuff thats completly worthless, so don't do it anyway.

You should be able to move any folder and / or its contents other than (assuming default windows folder names) "program files" "windows" "documents and settings" and driver folders such as "NVIDIA". Basicly, as stated above, you should be able to move any personal files. like pictures, movies, stuff like that. You can also change the location of "My documents" By right clicking on the My documents tab on the left, pressing move, and selecting a new folder.

Like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hfhfdjsk/RandomStuff#5247216839847477058

Ive seen plenty of old programs that do work if you drag and drop, you just have to redo all the shortcutting and a lot of other stuff thats completly worthless, so don't do it anyway.

This is probably only true of programs that run directly fron an .exe file. SIW (System Information for Windows) is like this. It's never actually installed, just double click and away you go. It will "execute" from wherever you place it.

This is probably only true of programs that run directly fron an .exe file. SIW (System Information for Windows) is like this. It's never actually installed, just double click and away you go. It will "execute" from wherever you place it.

oh those, ive got plenty of those too. One of my favorite that i was refering to was Starcraft, i think it was made in like, 1994 or something. Anyway it does work for Starcraft.

-Starcraft FTW!

oh those, ive got plenty of those too. One of my favorite that i was refering to was Starcraft, i think it was made in like, 1994 or something. Anyway it does work for Starcraft.

-Starcraft FTW!

WoW works that way too, and its new!

I also have a physics game, the name is escaping me.... works the same... just copy and move the folder.

Anyway... a bit off topic.

i moved a couple of programs and apparently it just copies them.
that messed everything up. i had set a restore point so did restore and it fixed it but it made a
file on sec.hdd called recycler that is no permanent.
it did give me allot more space on c dive though.

question now that i have another drive when i install new programs and c: starts to get full
will it automatically put stuff on sec drive in order to save room for virtual memory or will
i have to choose sec e: when installing new programs?
thanks

I believe you need to manually select it.

I am not 100% sure though.

I run all my applications off my primary drive, and use my secondary drive for nothing but storage. so I have never actually installed a program to my secondary drive.

I think by default 99.99999% of programs default install to c:<insert file name here>

so it is likely you will have to manually change it.

one more small thing
when installing sec. hdd do i have to put one on ide 1 and the other on ide 2?
what will it do if they are on the same channel

ok this is not at all what i was trying to achive.
isnt there a way to make it think that c: and e: are one big c: drive? or do i have to
just get a new bigger hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back