Security center missing from services

signofzeta

When I go to control panel, and cilck on security center, it opens up a window with all the security center stuff in it. Rather than saying everything is protected, it says that window security center is turned off. So I try to turn it on. What happens next is that there is this pop-up message saying that windows security center service couldn't be started. So I checked the internet to find out what is wrong, and many say that it isn't set to automatically start, and that anyone with this problem should go to the start button, and under search, search for services, and from there, find security center. The problem, is that it is gone. What can I do? I also heard of a wscsvc being in a registry, but on my laptop, it is missing.

As of right now, I am running the 5 step process for malware and virus removal, in case a virus did this, but if it wasn't, is there a way to fix this? If it is a fault of a virus, then I will post the logs in the malware section of the forum.

I am using windows vista, and that's all the info I have, since I don't want to check my laptop as it is running the scan. I am typing this post using a different computer.

let's see if it's just a registry entry

login with an ADMIN id; get a command prompt

CD C:\WINDOWS\system32

enter wscui.cpl

what do you get?

ok, the security center window is now split into firewall and anti malware and the like, but I still can't turn on the firewall, nor can I update the anti-malware.

I am currently checking for malware from another thread, to see if there is any virus that is messing with the security center.

Back