Security problems after Windows XP restart?

Marcus CS

I recently disinfected my pc in malware removal forum and didn't reformat it because I never used online banking on that computer. Today I accessed my online banking and my computer crashed(meaning windows xp had to restart). I reinstalled all of my security programs after windows xp restarted though I am wondering do I have to worry about security issues. Thank you

As a precaution it wouldn't hurt to change your passwords and notify your bank of a possible security compromise.

Probably not after you've taken those precautions. Maybe you could use a different PC to do your online banking.

Did your PC bluescreen? If so, you might want to try to fix that.

No, it didn't bluescreen, but just to clarify I did the malware removal about a month ago.
*Update* After reinstalling my printer the start up became extremely slow and unable to open any program. Also when it starts up the the tray icons for the security programs don't pop up. I'm planning to reboot my computer to factory settings, but I am really unsure how much this will really help.

With the multiple problems you are having, you might have to consider trying a Windows repair install.

I did a F10 windows system recovery and the problem still persists. How would I do a Windows repair install? Also thank you for helping me out this much.

A repair would require a Windows installation CD which you probably don't have. You might be able to get one from your PC manufacturer for a fee.

Alright, I'll do that . One last question, is it okay for me to keep my computer connected to the internet(it's my main computer which is connected to my wifi router) while it is in its current state?

It should be okay as long as you have your firewall and antivirus on and working but you could also shut it down when you aren't using it.

Most computers with recovery options have the option to do a complete wipe of the system or a non-destructive recovery in which your personal data is not removed. Which option did you choose?

Also, since the malware removal process was done more than a month ago it is possible your computer is infected again. The fact that your security software icons do not appear in the system tray further indicates this.

If you performed a clean install using the recovery and the computer is still running very slow I would suspect a failing hard drive.

I'm not sure which recovery option I chose, but I had to start from scratch, meaning choose language, time zone, etc.. When that is I done see some my previous desktop icons, though they need to be downloaded again to work.
I suspect that my anti virus icons don't pop up because the system is slow, no program is able to start up.
Also I'm not sure if they gave me an option, but I'll check again.

Back